Virtualbox XP Host/SuSE 11 Guest-Guest Additions problem - Suse

This is a discussion on Virtualbox XP Host/SuSE 11 Guest-Guest Additions problem - Suse ; I've installed VBox version 2.04 in XP with an SuSE 11 guest OS. I've done this a number of times before with Ubuntu, but with SuSE some dependencies must be installed, or the Guest Additions won't install. I'm new to ...

  1. Virtualbox XP Host/SuSE 11 Guest-Guest Additions problem

    I've installed VBox version 2.04 in XP with an SuSE 11 guest OS. I've
    done this a number of times before with Ubuntu, but with SuSE some
    dependencies must be installed, or the Guest Additions won't install.
    I'm new to SuSE.

    I've installed these packages:
    make
    gcc
    gcc-c++
    kernel-source
    kernel-syms

    However, a Guest Additions install exits with the complaint:
    "Building a test kernel module failed."

    There are a couple of posts about this, but none of them had an answer
    that I can get to work. I guess I'm missing another dependency, but I
    can't figure out which one. Anybody been through this already?

  2. Re: Virtualbox XP Host/SuSE 11 Guest-Guest Additions problem

    Arrowcatcher wrote:

    > I've installed VBox version 2.04 in XP with an SuSE 11 guest OS. I've
    > done this a number of times before with Ubuntu, but with SuSE some
    > dependencies must be installed, or the Guest Additions won't install.
    > I'm new to SuSE.
    >
    > I've installed these packages:
    > make
    > gcc
    > gcc-c++
    > kernel-source
    > kernel-syms
    >
    > However, a Guest Additions install exits with the complaint:
    > "Building a test kernel module failed."
    >
    > There are a couple of posts about this, but none of them had an answer
    > that I can get to work. I guess I'm missing another dependency, but I
    > can't figure out which one. Anybody been through this already?

    what happens if you install opensuse 10.3 thats if you have it

  3. Re: Virtualbox XP Host/SuSE 11 Guest-Guest Additions problem

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:17:32 +0000, darklight
    wrote:

    >Arrowcatcher wrote:

    >> There are a couple of posts about this, but none of them had an answer
    >> that I can get to work. I guess I'm missing another dependency, but I
    >> can't figure out which one. Anybody been through this already?

    >what happens if you install opensuse 10.3 thats if you have it

    Based on the posts I've found, it would have the same problem. I'm not
    sure I want to go to the trouble just to find that out.

  4. Re: Virtualbox XP Host/SuSE 11 Guest-Guest Additions problem

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, Arrowcatcher wrote:-

    >Based on the posts I've found, it would have the same problem. I'm not
    >sure I want to go to the trouble just to find that out.

    I've not (yet) had problems using Virtualbox with openSUSE 10.2, 11.0 or
    the betas of 11.1. After setting up a fresh VM and performing a minimal
    (XFCE desktop) install of 11.0, installing the guest additions required
    the addition of a few extra packages:

    linux-kernel-headers
    libmudflap43
    libgomp43
    glibc-devel
    gcc43
    gcc
    kernel-source
    make

    Once those were installed, the required modules were build and
    installed. Then it asked for a reboot to activate the modules. I didn't
    bother with that. I opted to save about 30 seconds and just dropped to
    run level 1 and then jumped back up to run level 5, which loaded up the
    required modules.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32b | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  5. Re: Virtualbox XP Host/SuSE 11 Guest-Guest Additions problem

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, David Bolt wrote:-

    >installing the guest additions required
    >the addition of a few extra packages:
    >
    >linux-kernel-headers
    >libmudflap43
    >libgomp43
    >glibc-devel
    >gcc43
    >gcc
    >kernel-source
    >make

    Forgot to mention, you can install those in one go by using:

    zypper in gcc kernel-source make

    either in a root shell, or by using sudo.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32b | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  6. Re: Virtualbox XP Host/SuSE 11 Guest-Guest Additions problem

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 19:37:22 +0000, David Bolt
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, David Bolt wrote:-
    >

    >>installing the guest additions required
    >>the addition of a few extra packages:
    >>
    >>linux-kernel-headers
    >>libmudflap43
    >>libgomp43
    >>glibc-devel
    >>gcc43
    >>gcc
    >>kernel-source
    >>make

    >Forgot to mention, you can install those in one go by using:
    >
    >zypper in gcc kernel-source make
    >
    >either in a root shell, or by using sudo.

    This is all very interesting. I made another post where I have a
    somewhat different list that also works. I spent hours screwing
    around and searching all over the Internet. But whatever, I'm glad
    it's all OK now. Thanks so much for posting your list. I'll save it
    too.

    This is one really fine OS, arguably the best OS I've ever used in my
    life. I was once a SysV intermediate but overwrote all those brain
    cells supporting W2K and XP. But it's coming back. I just discovered
    SuSE 11 and have it on 6 machines in various ways - 2 of them now in
    VirtualBox.

+ Reply to Thread