New CPU/Mobo help - Suse

This is a discussion on New CPU/Mobo help - Suse ; Hi, Its been a while since I've assembled a new computer and could really use a little help with compatibility issues. I will be running Suse 11.x and VmWare. The first question I asked myself Intel or AMD? hmmmm. I've ...

  1. New CPU/Mobo help

    Hi,
    Its been a while since I've assembled a new computer and could really
    use a little help with compatibility issues.

    I will be running Suse 11.x and VmWare.
    The first question I asked myself Intel or AMD? hmmmm.
    I've been using Athlon CPUs for years and have been quite happy with
    them but lately intel has seemed to pass them by.
    So I figured either the E8400 or Q6600? Recommendations?

    Then the motherboard, I've always been an Asus fan but not sure of
    compatibility issues? Recommendations of a good stable board? Asus or
    Gigabyte
    I am not looking for overclocking just a good stable board for around
    $150 that I can install suse with no issues.

    Video card will definitely be nVidia.
    ../steve

  2. Re: New CPU/Mobo help

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 12:02:31 -0700, Steve typed this message:

    > Hi,
    > Its been a while since I've assembled a new computer and could really
    > use a little help with compatibility issues.
    >
    > I will be running Suse 11.x and VmWare. The first question I asked
    > myself Intel or AMD? hmmmm. I've been using Athlon CPUs for years and
    > have been quite happy with them but lately intel has seemed to pass them
    > by. So I figured either the E8400 or Q6600? Recommendations?
    >
    > Then the motherboard, I've always been an Asus fan but not sure of
    > compatibility issues? Recommendations of a good stable board? Asus or
    > Gigabyte
    > I am not looking for overclocking just a good stable board for around
    > $150 that I can install suse with no issues.
    >
    > Video card will definitely be nVidia. ./steve

    Recommend you post this question to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt or
    alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt

  3. Re: New CPU/Mobo help

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Its been a while since I've assembled a new computer and could really
    > use a little help with compatibility issues.
    >
    > I will be running Suse 11.x and VmWare.
    > The first question I asked myself Intel or AMD? hmmmm.
    > I've been using Athlon CPUs for years and have been quite happy with
    > them but lately intel has seemed to pass them by.
    > So I figured either the E8400 or Q6600? Recommendations?
    >
    > Then the motherboard, I've always been an Asus fan but not sure of
    > compatibility issues? Recommendations of a good stable board? Asus or
    > Gigabyte
    > I am not looking for overclocking just a good stable board for around
    > $150 that I can install suse with no issues.
    >
    > Video card will definitely be nVidia.
    > ./steve

    Greetings Steve,
    I'm running 2 openSUSE machines with Q6600 and GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L
    motherboards, nvidia video cards. No issues and the Gigabyte is $89
    (www.newegg.com) and I have 4 hard drives with a boot drive and 3 LVM
    RAID 5 set up in my servers. Rock solid and cnough speed for what I do.
    I use 4 Gb of G. Skill RAM. Make sure you get decent RAM. This is an
    older model (now) and you may have some trouble finding it but a more
    recent model by Gigabyte should work fine. I wouldn't hesitate. Good luck.
    Tom

+ Reply to Thread