Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0? - Suse

This is a discussion on Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0? - Suse ; It seems that for whatever reason Suse and OpenSuse have discontinued support for graphical versions of nethack (nethack-qt, xnethack...) many years ago, even though /usr/share/doc/packages/nethack/README.SuSE still mentions them. I can't find any working rpm packages for them for any modern ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

  1. Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    It seems that for whatever reason Suse and OpenSuse have discontinued
    support for graphical versions of nethack (nethack-qt, xnethack...) many
    years ago, even though /usr/share/doc/packages/nethack/README.SuSE still
    mentions them. I can't find any working rpm packages for them for any
    modern Suse version.

    Do you have any suggestion where or how I could find these? I can't
    even find their source so that I could compile them.

  2. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Juha Nieminen wrote:

    > It seems that for whatever reason Suse and OpenSuse have discontinued
    > support for graphical versions of nethack (nethack-qt, xnethack...) many
    > years ago, even though /usr/share/doc/packages/nethack/README.SuSE still
    > mentions them. I can't find any working rpm packages for them for any
    > modern Suse version.
    >
    > Do you have any suggestion where or how I could find these? I can't
    > even find their source so that I could compile them.


    As the newest version of nethack is 3.4.3 and this is what xnethack is
    probably based on...............

    This is probably the newest xnethack:

    (shift + left click to download directly from link)


    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat...-48.1.i586.rpm



  3. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    ------------------------------------snip--------------------------------------------
    > This is probably the newest xnethack:
    >
    > (shift + left click to download directly from link)
    >
    >
    >

    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat...-48.1.i586.rpm


    No !! Just left click.. Forgot this is to a page not the download
    itself...

  4. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    > ------------------------------------snip--------------------------------------------
    >> This is probably the newest xnethack:
    >>
    >> (shift + left click to download directly from link)
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >

    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat...-48.1.i586.rpm
    >
    >
    > No !! Just left click.. Forgot this is to a page not the download
    > itself...



    Again no !!!

    Those links are no good. So here is a page with several links at the bottom
    of the page. I tried the upper most of these and it IS a good download
    link...

    Sorry ;-)


    http://dir.filewatcher.com/d/SuSE/9....pm.760200.html

    Of course this is just a front end to nethack so you'll need more.. I'll
    see that I get these too and then I'll supply the links.

  5. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    > ------------------------------------snip--------------------------------------------
    >> This is probably the newest xnethack:
    >>
    >> (shift + left click to download directly from link)
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >

    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat...-48.1.i586.rpm
    >
    >
    > No !! Just left click.. Forgot this is to a page not the download
    > itself...


    Didn't take long... to find out I'm chasing shadows. xnethack needs the
    nethack rpm which needs nethack-common which needs nethack_binary....

    Too much trouble for now...


    Good luck buddy. Use Google and chase your own tail...

  6. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Didn't take long... to find out I'm chasing shadows. xnethack needs the
    > nethack rpm which needs nethack-common which needs nethack_binary....
    >
    > Too much trouble for now...


    Which is exactly why I'm asking here. I did do the google reasearch...

  7. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Didn't take long... to find out I'm chasing shadows. xnethack needs the
    >> nethack rpm which needs nethack-common which needs nethack_binary....
    >>
    >> Too much trouble for now...

    >
    > Which is exactly why I'm asking here. I did do the google reasearch...


    Not sure aboyt xnethack or nethack-qt, but nathack is in the standard
    repo:
    http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/ope...rd/nethack.ymp

    http://software.opensuse.org/search?...&p=1&q=nethack
    or http://tinyurl.com/6jjzcj

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Art of Noise
    | Song : Backbeat
    | Album : In Visible Silence

  8. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    houghi wrote:
    > Not sure aboyt xnethack or nethack-qt, but nathack is in the standard
    > repo:


    I know, and I have it installed. I would like the X or QT version,
    though.

    (In fact, I wouldn't mind the Vulture's or noegnud version, but
    trying to get those to compile, or finding a precompiled version for
    linux, seemed to be absolutely hopeless.)

  9. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    >
    >
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Not sure aboyt xnethack or nethack-qt, but nathack is in the standard
    >> repo:

    >
    > I know, and I have it installed. I would like the X or QT version,
    > though.
    >
    > (In fact, I wouldn't mind the Vulture's or noegnud version, but
    > trying to get those to compile, or finding a precompiled version for
    > linux, seemed to be absolutely hopeless.)


    I just stated it because Michael said that it was so hard to compile
    nethack. I have absolutely 0 time nvested in it, so this is just a wild
    guess. Perhaps you could install nethack (and the sources of all that it
    wants) and use that as a basis for the compiling of the rest.

    That way you already have nethack as that seemed to be a problem as
    well.

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Grateful Dead
    | Song : Playing In The Band
    | Album : Dick's Picks

  10. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    I succeeded in installing an old xnethack by putting both the xnethack
    and the nethack-common rpms from http://dir.filewatcher.com into a
    directory, adding that directory as a repository to yast, and installing
    xnethack.

    Of course the program doesn't work. After opening a graphical window
    and asking the initial data, it just ends with the errors:

    Warning: Cannot convert string "nh10" to type FontStruct

    Oops...
    Program initialization has failed.
    Report error to "root".
    Dungeon description not valid.

    So my original question stands.

    I would like to make an additional question: Why has xnethack been
    discontinued from OpenSuse?

  11. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > I would like to make an additional question: Why has xnethack been
    > discontinued from OpenSuse?


    Two answers possible
    1) Because not enaugh people wanted it
    2) Because the makers of the code made it not (easibly) compilable
    3) A combination of the above.

    A search on google now points to websites that point to Usenet servers
    (and show why google sucks big time)

    I tried looking for the source to download, but after 5 minutes of
    looking via google and via clusty.com all I found where old rpms or
    references to SUSE and openSUSE.

    From that I conclude that most likely there is no recenct xnethack
    anymore. That also means that
    /usr/share/doc/packages/nethack/README.SuSE must be updated.
    Bug #440906

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

  12. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Juha Nieminen wrote:

    > I succeeded in installing an old xnethack by putting both the xnethack
    > and the nethack-common rpms from http://dir.filewatcher.com into a
    > directory, adding that directory as a repository to yast, and installing
    > xnethack.
    >
    > Of course the program doesn't work. After opening a graphical window
    > and asking the initial data, it just ends with the errors:
    >
    > Warning: Cannot convert string "nh10" to type FontStruct


    On the nethack site (www.nethack.org) there is the following reminder:

    * If you are running X11 copy the nh10.pcf and ibm.pcf font files from
    /usr/games/lib/nethackdir to a X11 fonts directory (such as
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc) and run "mkfontdir", then restart X
    windows to load them.

    HTH

    --
    Huibert
    "Hey! HEY! Curious cat, here!" -- Krosp I (GG)

  13. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Huibert Bol wrote:
    >> Warning: Cannot convert string "nh10" to type FontStruct

    >
    > On the nethack site (www.nethack.org) there is the following reminder:
    >
    > * If you are running X11 copy the nh10.pcf and ibm.pcf font files from
    > /usr/games/lib/nethackdir to a X11 fonts directory (such as
    > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc) and run "mkfontdir", then restart X
    > windows to load them.


    But will that get rid of the errors, or only that one warning?

  14. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    houghi wrote:
    > From that I conclude that most likely there is no recenct xnethack
    > anymore. That also means that
    > /usr/share/doc/packages/nethack/README.SuSE must be updated.
    > Bug #440906


    I would really prefer if rather than changing README.SuSE,
    xnethack (and/or nethack-qt) would be brought back to life.
    At least one person wants it! :P

    (Although I like nethack, maybe I'm not retro enough, but
    I just can't bear the ascii graphics...)

  15. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Juha Nieminen wrote:

    > Huibert Bol wrote:
    >>> Warning: Cannot convert string "nh10" to type FontStruct

    >>
    >> On the nethack site (www.nethack.org) there is the following reminder:
    >>
    >> * If you are running X11 copy the nh10.pcf and ibm.pcf font files from
    >> /usr/games/lib/nethackdir to a X11 fonts directory (such as
    >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc) and run "mkfontdir", then restart X
    >> windows to load them.

    >
    > But will that get rid of the errors, or only that one warning?


    There was an error as well?

    | Oops...
    | Program initialization has failed.
    | Report error to "root".
    | Dungeon description not valid.

    If nethack can't find it's data files, you need to point the environment
    variable NETHACKDIR to the right directory.

    You could also try the rpm's from www.nethack.org[1]. The qt one's is
    for version 2, so that's unlikely to work, but the X11 installed OK. If
    you want the tiled map, you need to add

    NetHack.tile_file: x11tiles

    to your .Xresources, and

    option=windowtype:X11

    in your .nethackrc.

    [1] http://www.nethack.org/v343/ports/download-linux.html

    --
    Huibert
    "Hey! HEY! Curious cat, here!" -- Krosp I (GG)

  16. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> From that I conclude that most likely there is no recenct xnethack
    >> anymore. That also means that
    >> /usr/share/doc/packages/nethack/README.SuSE must be updated.
    >> Bug #440906

    >
    > I would really prefer if rather than changing README.SuSE,
    > xnethack (and/or nethack-qt) would be brought back to life.
    > At least one person wants it! :P


    Well, I gave the bug number. You could have asked to have it added
    again. If you would have followed the bugreport, you would have seen
    that they have solved the bug and removed the README.SuSE.

    > (Although I like nethack, maybe I'm not retro enough, but
    > I just can't bear the ascii graphics...)


    I have no idea what it is. All I know that if I want something added to
    openSUSE, I file a bugreport and see what happens. If nobody asks, then
    nothing will happen. Some things get added, others get not added and
    almost always with an explanation as to why.

    Don't fight the decision. If you can not get it added, then this means
    they have other things to do.

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren
    Quote correctly (EN) http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

  17. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    On 01 Nov 2008 12:41:40 GMT, Juha Nieminen
    wrote:

    > (In fact, I wouldn't mind the Vulture's or noegnud version, but
    >trying to get those to compile, or finding a precompiled version for
    >linux, seemed to be absolutely hopeless.)


    Go to http://software.opensuse.org/search and enter vulture and
    presto, you will be presented with:

    nethack-vultures
    Vulture's Eye is a mouse-driven interface for NetHack that enhances
    the visuals, audio and accessibility of the game, yet retains all the

    Now a click on 1-click install and you've got what you wanted

    Philipp

  18. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Philipp Thomas wrote:
    > Go to http://software.opensuse.org/search and enter vulture and
    > presto, you will be presented with:
    >
    > nethack-vultures
    > Vulture's Eye is a mouse-driven interface for NetHack that enhances
    > the visuals, audio and accessibility of the game, yet retains all the
    >
    > Now a click on 1-click install and you've got what you wanted


    It indeed is so.

    Vulture's Eye looks fancy but... Somehow the 2D tiled version of the
    game is just somehow easier to play. You also have a much better view
    of the entire map, so you can visualize better the entire level.

    Given that it seems to be hopeless to get xnethack or nethack-qt to
    work, I'm even tempted to try to cope with the good old ascii version...

  19. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    On 05 Nov 2008 16:54:12 GMT, Juha Nieminen
    wrote:

    > Given that it seems to be hopeless to get xnethack or nethack-qt to
    >work,


    Why? When openSUSE 11.1 and SLES 11 are out of the door, I'll have a
    look at xnethack and/or nethack-qt. Right now I'm rather busy and try
    to spend my precious free time for something else then software.

    Philipp

  20. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 23:39:33 +0100, Philipp Thomas
    wrote:

    >When openSUSE 11.1 and SLES 11 are out of the door, I'll have a
    >look at xnethack and/or nethack-qt.


    So much for sticking to my words I went ahead and added nethack to
    my home project on the OBS (homesmt/nethack). This is the nethack
    package from 9.1 with the merged specs of 9.1 and factory but with
    gnomehack removed.

    Now let's see if the package builds without errors or if goofed with
    the spec If the packages have built I'll post that here.

    Philipp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast