Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0? - Suse

This is a discussion on Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0? - Suse ; On 01 Nov 2008 12:41:40 GMT, Juha Nieminen wrote: >houghi wrote: >> Not sure aboyt xnethack or nethack-qt, but nathack is in the standard >> repo: > > I know, and I have it installed. I would like the X ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

  1. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    On 01 Nov 2008 12:41:40 GMT, Juha Nieminen wrote:

    >houghi wrote:
    >> Not sure aboyt xnethack or nethack-qt, but nathack is in the standard
    >> repo:

    >
    > I know, and I have it installed. I would like the X or QT version,
    >though.
    >
    > (In fact, I wouldn't mind the Vulture's or noegnud version, but
    >trying to get those to compile, or finding a precompiled version for
    >linux, seemed to be absolutely hopeless.)



    I think it (Vulture's) is part of the Knoppix live DVD. Maybe not the
    current, but certainly one of the previous versions. I know I have seen
    it as part of a standard install of an x86 distro too.

    You could also try one of the live distros just to see what all is
    required to get the version you want working up and running.

    You can also ask in r.g.r.n.! I know folks there run under Linux.
    Nethack is like the MOST ported game in history.

    rec.games.rougelike.nethack

  2. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 18:56:03 +0100, houghi
    wrote:

    >Juha Nieminen wrote:
    >> I would like to make an additional question: Why has xnethack been
    >> discontinued from OpenSuse?

    >
    >Two answers possible
    >1) Because not enaugh people wanted it
    >2) Because the makers of the code made it not (easibly) compilable
    >3) A combination of the above.
    >
    >A search on google now points to websites that point to Usenet servers
    >(and show why google sucks big time)
    >
    >I tried looking for the source to download, but after 5 minutes of
    >looking via google and via clusty.com all I found where old rpms or
    >references to SUSE and openSUSE.
    >
    >From that I conclude that most likely there is no recenct xnethack
    >anymore. That also means that
    >/usr/share/doc/packages/nethack/README.SuSE must be updated.
    >Bug #440906
    >
    >houghi



    Best place to ask:

    rec.games.rougelike.nethack

  3. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    On 03 Nov 2008 20:14:29 GMT, Juha Nieminen wrote:

    >houghi wrote:
    >> From that I conclude that most likely there is no recenct xnethack
    >> anymore. That also means that
    >> /usr/share/doc/packages/nethack/README.SuSE must be updated.
    >> Bug #440906

    >
    > I would really prefer if rather than changing README.SuSE,
    >xnethack (and/or nethack-qt) would be brought back to life.
    >At least one person wants it! :P
    >
    > (Although I like nethack, maybe I'm not retro enough, but
    >I just can't bear the ascii graphics...)



    If you do not like Vultures, try Noegnud.

  4. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    On 05 Nov 2008 16:54:12 GMT, Juha Nieminen
    wrote:

    > Given that it seems to be hopeless to get xnethack or nethack-qt to
    >work, I'm even tempted to try to cope with the good old ascii version...


    Go to https://software.opensuse.org/search, enter nethack-qt and enjoy


    Philipp

  5. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 00:52:35 +0100, Philipp Thomas
    wrote:

    >Now let's see if the package builds without errors or if goofed with
    >the spec If the packages have built I'll post that here.


    Well, I had to fix quite a bit here and there but now the packages
    build. So there's now xnethack and nethack-qt available. I'll possily
    move them to the games buildservice project though but given the
    software search it shouldn't be a problem.

    have fun
    Philipp

  6. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 01:28:46 +0100, Philipp Thomas
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 00:52:35 +0100, Philipp Thomas
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Now let's see if the package builds without errors or if goofed with
    >>the spec If the packages have built I'll post that here.

    >
    >Well, I had to fix quite a bit here and there but now the packages
    >build. So there's now xnethack and nethack-qt available. I'll possily
    >move them to the games buildservice project though but given the
    >software search it shouldn't be a problem.
    >
    >have fun
    >Philipp



    Now get Vultures Eye and NoeGnud to compile and play, like they used to
    in Linux, no problem.

    Another GREAT game to add to the distro would be SDLMame :-)

  7. Re: Where to find nethack-qt or xnethack for OpenSuse 11.0?

    Philipp Thomas wrote:
    >> Given that it seems to be hopeless to get xnethack or nethack-qt to
    >>work, I'm even tempted to try to cope with the good old ascii version...

    >
    > Go to https://software.opensuse.org/search, enter nethack-qt and enjoy
    >


    This is great. Thanks. Even though I will never use it, it is great to
    see others using the build service for the better of mankind. ;-)

    I am a lousy packagebuilder myself, so for that reason mos of what I
    have doesn't compile. I also can not find the time to concentrate on it
    and learn it.

    Again, great to see you have done it. This is indeed how it should work.
    1) See a package that is not yet added
    2) Add it to the build service, so as much people can use it as possible


    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2