New Computer and Monitor - Suse

This is a discussion on New Computer and Monitor - Suse ; I am going to get a new computer when the sales start after Thanksgiving. Since I am chronologically advantaged, I am seriously thinking of getting a 25 inch monitor. Anyone have experience setting one this size up? Will it auto ...

  1. New Computer and Monitor

    I am going to get a new computer when the sales
    start after Thanksgiving. Since I am
    thinking of getting a 25 inch monitor. Anyone
    have experience setting one this size up? Will it
    auto detect?

  2. Re: New Computer and Monitor

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:13:21 -0400, Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

    > I am going to get a new computer when the sales start after
    > Thanksgiving. Since I am chronologically advantaged, I am seriously
    > thinking of getting a 25 inch monitor. Anyone have experience setting
    > one this size up? Will it auto detect?

    What's the resolution? My wife's 20 inch 1900x1440 did.

  3. Re: New Computer and Monitor

    ray wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:13:21 -0400, Paul E.
    > Lehmann wrote:
    >
    >> I am going to get a new computer when the sales
    >> start after
    >> Thanksgiving. Since I am chronologically
    >> advantaged, I am seriously
    >> thinking of getting a 25 inch monitor. Anyone
    >> have experience setting one this size up? Will
    >> it auto detect?

    > What's the resolution? My wife's 20 inch
    > 1900x1440 did.

    I don't know which one to buy. Do you have a
    recommendation? What brand is your wife's?

  4. Re: New Computer and Monitor

    Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    > I am going to get a new computer when the sales
    > start after Thanksgiving. Since I am
    > thinking of getting a 25 inch monitor. Anyone
    > have experience setting one this size up? Will it
    > auto detect?

    Wouldn't that be like sitting in the front row at the theater?

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ? ? ¥

  5. Re: New Computer and Monitor

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:14:25 -0400, Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:13:21 -0400, Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am going to get a new computer when the sales start after
    >>> Thanksgiving. Since I am chronologically advantaged, I am seriously
    >>> thinking of getting a 25 inch monitor. Anyone have experience setting
    >>> one this size up? Will it auto detect?

    >> What's the resolution? My wife's 20 inch 1900x1440 did.

    > I don't know which one to buy. Do you have a recommendation? What
    > brand is your wife's?

    Hers is a SOYO 20" with 1680x1050 resolution - bought from OfficeMax
    earlier this year. Mine is a SOYO 10" 1440x900. I've set both of them up
    with Ubuntu and Gentoo on mine as well. No problems. Sorry about the
    them.

    If they have a demo unit attached to a computer in a local store, you
    could always take along a Live CD and see if they'd let you boot that up -
    should give you some info.

  6. Re: New Computer and Monitor

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:02:36 -0400, Claude Hopper wrote:

    > Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    >> I am going to get a new computer when the sales start after
    >> Thanksgiving. Since I am chronologically advantaged, I am seriously
    >> thinking of getting a 25 inch monitor. Anyone have experience setting
    >> one this size up? Will it auto detect?

    > Wouldn't that be like sitting in the front row at the theater?

    Well, I don't know about that, but I have a 19" widescreen and my wife has
    a 20" - they are very nice to use.

  7. Re: New Computer and Monitor

    Claude Hopper wrote:
    > Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    >> I am going to get a new computer when the sales
    >> start after Thanksgiving. Since I am
    >> thinking of getting a 25 inch monitor. Anyone
    >> have experience setting one this size up? Will it
    >> auto detect?

    > Wouldn't that be like sitting in the front row at the theater?

    No. The resolution on the PC screen is much higher. I sit an atrmlennght
    away from mu three screens and no problem whatsoever.

    houghi
    --
    Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such
    hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest

  8. Resolving the mystery theater resolution

    Op donnersdag, oktober 30, 2008 00:43:33h +0100, houghi schreeft:

    > Claude Hopper wrote:
    >> Wouldn't that be like sitting in the front row at the theater?

    > No. The resolution on the PC screen is much higher.

    What then is the resolution at the theater?

    And he did say theater, not movie theater.

  9. Re: Resolving the mystery theater resolution

    Op donderdag, oktober 30, 2008 15:09:09 +0100, houghi schreeft:

    > About half on pirate-day, because of the eye-patch.

    Good point! So no point in 3D pirate movies either ;+)

    > There is a difference? ;-)

    Well they were not watching a movie on August 25th, 1830
    at the Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie, were they now?

    And what is the resolution used in digital movie theater projections?

  10. Re: Resolving the mystery theater resolution

    J G Miller wrote:

    > Op donnersdag, oktober 30, 2008 00:43:33h +0100, houghi schreeft:
    >
    > > Claude Hopper wrote:
    > >> Wouldn't that be like sitting in the front row at the theater?

    > > No. The resolution on the PC screen is much higher.

    > What then is the resolution at the theater?

    About half on pirate-day, because of the eye-patch.

    > And he did say theater, not movie theater.

    There is a difference? ;-)

    houghi
    | Artist : Santana
    | Song : Hannibal (Feat. McCoy Tyner)
    | Album : Playin' With Carlos

  11. Re: Resolving the mystery theater resolution

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:09:09 +0100, houghi wrote:

    > J G Miller wrote:

    >> > No. The resolution on the PC screen is much higher.

    >> What then is the resolution at the theater?

    > About half on pirate-day, because of the eye-patch.
    >
    >> And he did say theater, not movie theater.

    > There is a difference? ;-)
    >
    > houghi

    Some would contend that theater means a live play while cinema means
    movies. On the other hand, I also heard it argued that 'theater' means
    movies while 'theatre' means a live production.

  12. Re: New Computer and Monitor

    ray wrote:
    >> Resolution is ineed the most importand part. I have 2x24" 1920x1200 and
    >> 1x20" 1600x1200 Al three Acer, because those are the cheapest at least
    >> at the moment I bought them. Now there are ones that are even cheaper.

    > Resolution is, of course, important. It's also necessary to have a card
    > and driver which can accomodate the native resolution.

    As it will be a new PC, it will be hard to find a card that doesn't
    support these resolutions. 2d should not be an issue. If you want 3d, it
    might, but that is then a different requirement.

    houghi
    | Artist : Santana
    | Song : Wham
    | Album : Inner secrets

  13. Re: Resolving the mystery theater resolution

    J G Miller wrote:
    > Well they were not watching a movie on August 25th, 1830
    > at the Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie, were they now?

    Are you sure about that? What is specific about that date and place
    anyway? Tried to google it, but nothing came up.

    houghi
    | Artist : De Dijk
    | Song : Dansen op de vulkaan (live 2005)
    | Album : Zullen We Dansen

  14. Re: Resolving the mystery theater resolution

    houghi wrote:

    > J G Miller wrote:
    >> Well they were not watching a movie on August 25th, 1830
    >> at the Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie, were they now?

    > Are you sure about that? What is specific about that date and place
    > anyway? Tried to google it, but nothing came up.

    Try Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_25). I think you're
    in for a little surprise.

    --
    Huibert
    "Hey! HEY! Curious cat, here!" -- Krosp I (GG)

  15. Re: Resolving the mystery theater resolution

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:09:09 +0100, houghi wrote:

    >J G Miller wrote:

    >> > No. The resolution on the PC screen is much higher.

    >> What then is the resolution at the theater?

    >About half on pirate-day, because of the eye-patch.

    Oogarts dag?
    --

    Martin

  16. Re: Resolving the mystery theater resolution

    Huibert Bol wrote:
    >> J G Miller wrote:
    >>> Well they were not watching a movie on August 25th, 1830
    >>> at the Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie, were they now?

    >> Are you sure about that? What is specific about that date and place
    >> anyway? Tried to google it, but nothing came up.

    > Try Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_25). I think you're
    > in for a little surprise.

    You were right. The surprise was very little. (almost non-existing)

    houghi
    --
    Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such
    hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest
    thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how
    time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

  17. Re: Resolving the mystery theater resolution

    Martin wrote:
    >>About half on pirate-day, because of the eye-patch.

    > Oogarts dag?

    That must be the worst translation of pirate I ever saw.

    houghi
    --
    Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such
    hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest
    thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how
    time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

  18. Re: New Computer and Monitor

    Paul E. Lehmann a écrit :
    > I am going to get a new computer when the sales
    > start after Thanksgiving. Since I am
    > thinking of getting a 25 inch monitor. Anyone
    > have experience setting one this size up? Will it
    > auto detect?

    I have a 24" B2403ws IIyama (1920x1200).
    Was detected and also configured, with some tuning in xorg.conf, the
    portrait mode.
    The graphic card is nvidia 6200.

    JMR

+ Reply to Thread