how to enable x-server on openSUSE ? - Suse

This is a discussion on how to enable x-server on openSUSE ? - Suse ; I have an x-terminal software that I can link from a Windows XP computer to a Solaris system. Now, I need to link to an openSUSE 11 system through the same x- terminal software from a Windows XP computer. What ...

  1. how to enable x-server on openSUSE ?

    I have an x-terminal software that I can link from a Windows XP
    computer to a Solaris system.

    Now, I need to link to an openSUSE 11 system through the same x-
    terminal software from a Windows
    XP computer. What do I need to do from the openSUSE (version 11)
    side, to enable its x-server software,
    so that I can link to it from this x-terminal software from the
    Windows XP side?

  2. Re: how to enable x-server on openSUSE ?

    Michelle

    I have no experince with 11 but previous SuSE versions only allowed X
    over ssh. The "standard" remote X port 6000 is enabled through
    paramaters in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager. This location is normally
    modified through YaST but there is no reason you can do it direct. Look for;

    DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN="no"
    DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS="no"

    Cheers Bob

    Michelle wrote:
    > I have an x-terminal software that I can link from a Windows XP
    > computer to a Solaris system.

  3. Re: how to enable x-server on openSUSE ?

    On Oct 29, 4:46*am, Bob Bob wrote:
    > Michelle
    >
    > I have no experince with 11 but previous SuSE versions only allowed X
    > over ssh. The "standard" remote X port 6000 is enabled through
    > paramaters in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager. This location is normally
    > modified through YaST but there is no reason you can do it direct. Look for;
    >
    > DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN="no"
    > DISPLAYMANAGER_REMOTE_ACCESS="no"
    >
    > Cheers Bob
    >
    > Michelle wrote:
    > > I have an x-terminal software that I can link from a Windows XP
    > > computer to a Solaris system.

    After I changed these to "yes", I'm able to see the openSUSE system
    from
    the Windows XP side through the x-terminal software. But after I am
    prompted
    for user name and password from the x-terminal, the OpenSUSE screen
    just freezes, as if nothing is happening.

    Is there anything else I forgot to do?

  4. Re: how to enable x-server on openSUSE ?

    Hi Michelle

    Sorry I havent played with it all that much myself. My usage is twofold.
    I run X sessions on my 10.1 from within KDE box using my 9.3 box X
    server. My wife also runs GnuCash on my 10.1 box from her WXP machine
    running CygwinX. (Gnucash is actually a Gnome app but it will run under
    KDE if the right hooks are installed) It just works!

    First time it runs it does take some time to init all the right files
    etc. Apart from that it might be worthwhile checking the logfiles on the
    Linux box (in /var/log)

    I also seem to vaguely remember than you have to xauth to allow remote
    sessions but it has been a very long time! ie it it something you setup
    once. Perhaps that is what has happened. (Assuming it isnt a firewall issue)

    Cheers Bob

    Michelle wrote:

    > After I changed these to "yes", I'm able to see the openSUSE system
    > from
    > the Windows XP side through the x-terminal software. But after I am
    > prompted
    > for user name and password from the x-terminal, the OpenSUSE screen
    > just freezes, as if nothing is happening.
    >
    > Is there anything else I forgot to do?

  5. Re: how to enable x-server on openSUSE ?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:14:06 -0500, Bob Bob wrote:

    > First time it runs it does take some time to init all the right files
    > etc. Apart from that it might be worthwhile checking the logfiles
    > on the Linux box (in /var/log)
    >
    > I also seem to vaguely remember than you have to xauth to allow remote
    > sessions but it has been a very long time! ie it it something you setup
    > once. Perhaps that is what has happened. (Assuming it isnt a firewall
    > issue)
    >
    > Cheers Bob
    >
    > Michelle wrote:
    >>
    >> After I changed these to "yes", I'm able to see the openSUSE system
    >> from
    >> the Windows XP side through the x-terminal software. But after I am
    >> prompted
    >> for user name and password from the x-terminal, the OpenSUSE screen
    >> just freezes, as if nothing is happening.
    >>
    >> Is there anything else I forgot to do?

    Hi Michelle,
    If you don't find anything useful in your logs, you might want to let
    YaST do the setting up for you (if you can). You can find the setting
    under:
    YaST -> Security and Users -> Local Security
    Click through the steps till you get to "Login Settings"
    Enable "Allow remote graphical login"

    Click through "Next" and Finish.

    Unfortunately, I've only set it up this way, so I don't know of any other
    settings apart from the ones Bob has already told you.

    --
    Regards,
    David Bailey

+ Reply to Thread