Intel Core 2 duo - Suse

This is a discussion on Intel Core 2 duo - Suse ; How does OpenSuSE 11.0 run on a core 2 duo motherboard? -- Claude Hopper ? ? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Intel Core 2 duo

    How does OpenSuSE 11.0 run on a core 2 duo motherboard?

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ? ?

  2. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    Claude Hopper wrote:
    > How does OpenSuSE 11.0 run on a core 2 duo motherboard?

    Like everywhere else.

  3. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    Claude Hopper wrote:

    > How does OpenSuSE 11.0 run on a core 2 duo motherboard?

    Depends on different things, like if the PC is turned on or not.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I

  4. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    houghi wrote:
    > Claude Hopper wrote:
    >> How does OpenSuSE 11.0 run on a core 2 duo motherboard?

    > Depends on different things, like if the PC is turned on or not.
    >
    > houghi

    Now if it ran when it was off, that would be stunning.

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ? ?

  5. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    Claude Hopper wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >> Claude Hopper wrote:
    >>> How does OpenSuSE 11.0 run on a core 2 duo motherboard?

    >> Depends on different things, like if the PC is turned on or not.
    >>

    > Now if it ran when it was off, that would be stunning.

    That would be a serious zombie on the machine.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  6. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    On 2008-10-27, houghi wrote:
    > Claude Hopper wrote:
    >>

    >> houghi wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Depends on different things, like if the PC is turned on or not.
    >>>

    >> Now if it ran when it was off, that would be stunning.

    > That would be a serious zombie on the machine.
    >
    > houghi

    That's a "wake on lan" walking-dead.

  7. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:21:40 -0400, Claude Hopper wrote:

    > How does OpenSuSE 11.0 run on a core 2 duo motherboard?

    You might enlighten us as to what you really want to know. Any Linux SMP
    kernel should utilize it as a dual processor if that's what you're after.

  8. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    Claude Hopper wrote:

    > How does OpenSuSE 11.0 run on a core 2 duo motherboard?

    Faster than me !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  9. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    On 27 Oct 2008 18:03:12 GMT, ray wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:21:40 -0400, Claude Hopper wrote:
    >
    >> How does OpenSuSE 11.0 run on a core 2 duo motherboard?

    >You might enlighten us as to what you really want to know. Any Linux SMP
    >kernel should utilize it as a dual processor if that's what you're after.

    I've got OpenSuSe running on two machines. One with duel core and the
    other with single, both the same speed CPU and buss. I am using them
    as personal computers, i.e., not as servers, etc. and frankly cannot
    really tell a difference. Which is not to say that the duel core might
    not perform better in a more intensive CPU usage situation.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  10. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    > On 27 Oct 2008 18:03:12 GMT, ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:21:40 -0400, Claude Hopper wrote:
    >>
    >>> How does OpenSuSE 11.0 run on a core 2 duo motherboard?

    >> You might enlighten us as to what you really want to know. Any Linux SMP
    >> kernel should utilize it as a dual processor if that's what you're after.

    > I've got OpenSuSe running on two machines. One with duel core and the
    > other with single, both the same speed CPU and buss. I am using them
    > as personal computers, i.e., not as servers, etc. and frankly cannot
    > really tell a difference. Which is not to say that the duel core might
    > not perform better in a more intensive CPU usage situation.

    Intel chipsets with a multicore CPU (as of now) don't perform very well
    in multitasking-oriented workloads. But still better than single
    core/CPU systems. You can test it by, say, compressing a large file
    with bzip2 (will eat up 100% of one core) and then doing other stuff at
    the same time (watching a video for example). Then try the same with
    the single-core PC.

    With the next generation (I7) of Intel CPUs+chipsets, multitasking
    should be up to par with the current AMD chips (that is, better
    performance in multitasking).

  11. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    Claude Hopper wrote:

    > How does OpenSuSE 11.0 run on a core 2 duo motherboard?

    I'm overclocking my C2D and it seems to haul bacon much better than a P4
    when doing any DVD-type processing or audio/video conversion stuff.

    Nothing really mind-blowing and even overclocking shows minor speed
    differenceswhen you perform certain functions--it barks at you with speed,
    so it's there somewhat. Boots quicker -- can't read any text like before I
    overclocked on a boot. So, it is snappier, but I wouldn't say run out and
    get one now for Linux sake.
    Maybe I'd notice more if I was a gamer, or running M$, but I just O-C for
    video conversions, etc.

    Also running Xosview and Gkrellm on each screen to see when each proc is
    being accessed.
    They are!

  12. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:16:15 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    wrote:

    >Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

    >>> You might enlighten us as to what you really want to know. Any Linux SMP
    >>> kernel should utilize it as a dual processor if that's what you're after.

    >> I've got OpenSuSe running on two machines. One with duel core and the
    >> other with single, both the same speed CPU and buss. I am using them
    >> as personal computers, i.e., not as servers, etc. and frankly cannot
    >> really tell a difference. Which is not to say that the duel core might
    >> not perform better in a more intensive CPU usage situation.

    >Intel chipsets with a multicore CPU (as of now) don't perform very well
    >in multitasking-oriented workloads. But still better than single
    >core/CPU systems. You can test it by, say, compressing a large file
    >with bzip2 (will eat up 100% of one core) and then doing other stuff at
    >the same time (watching a video for example). Then try the same with
    >the single-core PC.
    >
    >With the next generation (I7) of Intel CPUs+chipsets, multitasking
    >should be up to par with the current AMD chips (that is, better
    >performance in multitasking).

    I probably could test it and I probably would have some years ago but
    in recent years I have been depending on perceived performance...why
    do I care how fast the machine will calculate the ultimate prime
    number when all I'm doing is writing a letter to my sweety :-)

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  13. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:44:51 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

    > On 27 Oct 2008 18:03:12 GMT, ray wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:21:40 -0400, Claude Hopper wrote:
    >>
    >>> How does OpenSuSE 11.0 run on a core 2 duo motherboard?

    >>You might enlighten us as to what you really want to know. Any Linux SMP
    >>kernel should utilize it as a dual processor if that's what you're
    >>after.

    > I've got OpenSuSe running on two machines. One with duel core and the
    > other with single, both the same speed CPU and buss. I am using them as
    > personal computers, i.e., not as servers, etc. and frankly cannot really
    > tell a difference. Which is not to say that the duel core might not
    > perform better in a more intensive CPU usage situation.
    >
    > Bruce-in-Bangkok
    > (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    It does not matter if you have 32 cpus for running one single threaded
    process. If the software is optimized for parallelization or you run
    several processes at once, you should see something on the order of about
    1.6 times the performance.

  14. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    ray@zianet.com (ray) wrote in news:6moni2Fhs3n5U1@mid.individual.net:

    > It does not matter if you have 32 cpus for running one single threaded
    > process.

    How many processes are normally running on a typical SUSE system?

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com

  15. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:59:14 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:

    > ray@zianet.com (ray) wrote in news:6moni2Fhs3n5U1@mid.individual.net:
    >
    >> It does not matter if you have 32 cpus for running one single threaded
    >> process.

    > How many processes are normally running on a typical SUSE system?

    On a single cpu machine only one process can actually run at a given
    instant though there will likely be a few dozen in a running condition.

  16. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    ray@zianet.com (ray) wrote in news:6mosg7Fht8k8U1@mid.individual.net:

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:59:14 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:
    >
    >> ray@zianet.com (ray) wrote in
    >>
    >>> It does not matter if you have 32 cpus for running one single
    >>> threaded process.

    >> How many processes are normally running on a typical SUSE system?

    > On a single cpu machine only one process can actually run at a given
    > instant though there will likely be a few dozen in a running
    > condition.

    So, additional CPUs (or cores) will provide an overall advantage, even
    if some specific application isn't multi-threaded.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com

  17. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:25:04 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:

    > ray@zianet.com (ray) wrote in news:6mosg7Fht8k8U1@mid.individual.net:
    >
    >> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:59:14 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:
    >>
    >>> ray@zianet.com (ray) wrote in

    >>> How many processes are normally running on a typical SUSE system?

    >> On a single cpu machine only one process can actually run at a given
    >> instant though there will likely be a few dozen in a running condition.

    > So, additional CPUs (or cores) will provide an overall advantage, even
    > if some specific application isn't multi-threaded.

    Some, yes. Unless you're running more than one compute intensive thread
    you probably won't notice or even be able to measure the difference,
    though.

  18. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:16:15 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

    >>> I've got OpenSuSe running on two machines. One with duel core and the
    >>> other with single, both the same speed CPU and buss. I am using them
    >>> as personal computers, i.e., not as servers, etc. and frankly cannot
    >>> really tell a difference. Which is not to say that the duel core might
    >>> not perform better in a more intensive CPU usage situation.

    >>Intel chipsets with a multicore CPU (as of now) don't perform very well
    >>in multitasking-oriented workloads. But still better than single
    >>core/CPU systems. You can test it by, say, compressing a large file
    >>with bzip2 (will eat up 100% of one core) and then doing other stuff at
    >>the same time (watching a video for example). Then try the same with
    >>the single-core PC.
    >>
    >>With the next generation (I7) of Intel CPUs+chipsets, multitasking
    >>should be up to par with the current AMD chips (that is, better
    >>performance in multitasking).

    > I probably could test it and I probably would have some years ago but
    > in recent years I have been depending on perceived performance...why
    > do I care how fast the machine will calculate the ultimate prime
    > number when all I'm doing is writing a letter to my sweety :-)
    >
    > Bruce-in-Bangkok
    > (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    Yes but I can see how fast you typed that!

  19. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:16:15 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    > wrote:
    >> Intel chipsets with a multicore CPU (as of now) don't perform very well
    >> in multitasking-oriented workloads. But still better than single
    >> core/CPU systems. You can test it by, say, compressing a large file
    >> with bzip2 (will eat up 100% of one core) and then doing other stuff at
    >> the same time (watching a video for example). Then try the same with
    >> the single-core PC.
    >>
    >> With the next generation (I7) of Intel CPUs+chipsets, multitasking
    >> should be up to par with the current AMD chips (that is, better
    >> performance in multitasking).

    > I probably could test it and I probably would have some years ago but
    > in recent years I have been depending on perceived performance...why
    > do I care how fast the machine will calculate the ultimate prime
    > number when all I'm doing is writing a letter to my sweety :-)

    It's not about how fast it is, but how responsive the system stays. If
    you press a key on the keyboard while writing said letter and the system
    takes 2 seconds to register the keypress... Well, you get the idea

  20. Re: Intel Core 2 duo

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:12:54 -0400, Pete Puma wrote:

    >Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:16:15 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
    >> wrote:

    >>>Intel chipsets with a multicore CPU (as of now) don't perform very well
    >>>in multitasking-oriented workloads. But still better than single
    >>>core/CPU systems. You can test it by, say, compressing a large file
    >>>with bzip2 (will eat up 100% of one core) and then doing other stuff at
    >>>the same time (watching a video for example). Then try the same with
    >>>the single-core PC.
    >>>
    >>>With the next generation (I7) of Intel CPUs+chipsets, multitasking
    >>>should be up to par with the current AMD chips (that is, better
    >>>performance in multitasking).

    >> I probably could test it and I probably would have some years ago but
    >> in recent years I have been depending on perceived performance...why
    >> do I care how fast the machine will calculate the ultimate prime
    >> number when all I'm doing is writing a letter to my sweety :-)
    >>
    >> Bruce-in-Bangkok
    >> (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    >Yes but I can see how fast you typed that!

    True, but the thing that seems to be unspoken is that nearly all, if
    not all, common Linux stuff and particularly the core programs all are
    designed for a single CPU and, while I admit I'm not positive, I
    believe that without software specifically designed to run on multi
    core processors little advantage can be gained.

    For example:

    read location x;
    if something there
    do something with it;
    if not
    loop for 10 milliseconds;

    And that simple routine is the basis of one hell of a lot of software.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast