opensuse + Xen + HVM + laptop - Suse

This is a discussion on opensuse + Xen + HVM + laptop - Suse ; If one would like to run xen using HVM on a laptop (using opensuse 11.0 as host Domain0), is there a way to tell if this is possible ? Most laptops have CPUs that are dual/quad core and known to ...

  1. opensuse + Xen + HVM + laptop

    If one would like to run xen using HVM on a laptop (using opensuse 11.0
    as host Domain0), is there a way to tell if this is possible ? Most
    laptops have CPUs that are dual/quad core and known to have the vmx flag
    Intel or svm flag on AMD, but it is also out there that some of the
    BIOSs will not turn virtualization on, and hence HVM is not possible.
    Perhaps this is old information now.

    Obviously if the chip is 64 bits it can run both 32 bit HVM guests as
    well as 64 bit HVM guests !?

  2. Re: opensuse + Xen + HVM + laptop

    Craig Andersen wrote:

    > If one would like to run xen using HVM on a laptop (using opensuse
    > 11.0 as host Domain0), is there a way to tell if this is possible ?

    Why don't you just try? Nobody will be able to tell you if you not even
    mention model and make of the notebook.
    That said one might consider Xen as a less than ideal virtualization
    solution for a notebook. The Xen kernel as provided by Novell/SuSE does
    not support ACPI. Does you will loose CPU frequency control and suspend
    functions.

    > Obviously if the chip is 64 bits it can run both 32 bit HVM guests as
    > well as 64 bit HVM guests !?

    Yes, of course.

    GŁnther

  3. Re: opensuse + Xen + HVM + laptop

    GŁnther Schwarz wrote:
    > Craig Andersen wrote:
    >
    >> If one would like to run xen using HVM on a laptop (using opensuse
    >> 11.0 as host Domain0), is there a way to tell if this is possible ?

    > Why don't you just try? Nobody will be able to tell you if you not even
    > mention model and make of the notebook.
    > That said one might consider Xen as a less than ideal virtualization
    > solution for a notebook. The Xen kernel as provided by Novell/SuSE does
    > not support ACPI. Does you will loose CPU frequency control and suspend
    > functions.
    >
    >> Obviously if the chip is 64 bits it can run both 32 bit HVM guests as
    >> well as 64 bit HVM guests !?

    > Yes, of course.
    >
    > GŁnther

    I can not tell you make and model since I have no laptop, I was hoping
    someone would say that it worked for them, I will take the advice, but
    this newsgroup is very acidic. The laptops that I have access to do not
    seem to be able to enable HVM virtualization through the BIOS.

  4. Re: opensuse + Xen + HVM + laptop

    Craig Andersen wrote:
    > I can not tell you make and model since I have no laptop, I was hoping
    > someone would say that it worked for them, I will take the advice, but
    > this newsgroup is very acidic. The laptops that I have access to do not
    > seem to be able to enable HVM virtualization through the BIOS.

    It worked with mine.

    houghi
    --
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom.
    Don't ever count on having both at once.

  5. Re: opensuse + Xen + HVM + laptop

    Craig Andersen wrote:

    > GŁnther Schwarz wrote:
    >> Craig Andersen wrote:
    >>
    >>> If one would like to run xen using HVM on a laptop (using opensuse
    >>> 11.0 as host Domain0), is there a way to tell if this is possible ?

    >> Why don't you just try? Nobody will be able to tell you if you not
    >> even mention model and make of the notebook.

    > I can not tell you make and model since I have no laptop, I was hoping
    > someone would say that it worked for them, I will take the advice, but
    > this newsgroup is very acidic.

    Sorry if my posting gave the impression of rudeness. This was not my
    intention.

    > The laptops that I have access to do
    > not seem to be able to enable HVM virtualization through the BIOS.

    As this depends on the BIOS it is model specific. There won't be a
    simple answer to that. I can tell that on my servers and desktop
    systems it works just fine with the restrictions I mentioned. But this
    won't help you much.
    What about Virtualbox or VMware? I tried Virtualbox some time ago on an
    old PC that does not support virtualization (P4). It worked quite
    nicely as a test system for a beta version of OpenSuSE 11.0.

    GŁnther

+ Reply to Thread