Some troubles with opensuseupdater - Suse

This is a discussion on Some troubles with opensuseupdater - Suse ; Hi! I recently upgraded my system to 11.0. Then, I removed all packages related to KDE4 (otherwise it was launched by default on remote sessions). Then, I noticed that I lost my autoupdater systray icon. I digged a bit into ...

  1. Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    Hi!

    I recently upgraded my system to 11.0. Then, I removed all packages related
    to KDE4 (otherwise it was launched by default on remote sessions). Then, I
    noticed that I lost my autoupdater systray icon.

    I digged a bit into my packages, and reinstalled zypper,
    kde4-opensuse-updater, yum and PackageKit. After that operation, I logged
    out / logged in, and the well-known updater icon appeared in my systray.

    Unfortunately, when it starts, it outputs the following message:
    "backend plugin is not properly configured. Please use the configuration
    dialog to choose the correct one.".

    Of course, there is no possible choice on the "configuration dialog", as the
    dialog is empty.

    I searched all over the net about the issue, but couldn't find any
    solution... Does anybody experienced similar troubles? How could I make the
    updater work again?

    Best regards,
    Mateusz Viste

  2. Re: Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:33:01 +0100, Mateusz Viste typed this message:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I recently upgraded my system to 11.0. Then, I removed all packages
    > related to KDE4 (otherwise it was launched by default on remote
    > sessions). Then, I noticed that I lost my autoupdater systray icon.
    >
    > I digged a bit into my packages, and reinstalled zypper,
    > kde4-opensuse-updater, yum and PackageKit. After that operation, I
    > logged out / logged in, and the well-known updater icon appeared in my
    > systray.
    >
    > Unfortunately, when it starts, it outputs the following message:
    > "backend plugin is not properly configured. Please use the configuration
    > dialog to choose the correct one.".
    >
    > Of course, there is no possible choice on the "configuration dialog", as
    > the dialog is empty.
    >
    > I searched all over the net about the issue, but couldn't find any
    > solution... Does anybody experienced similar troubles? How could I make
    > the updater work again?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Mateusz Viste

    Try
    $ sudo zypper ve # to verify your packages are correctly installed

    Probably you deleted a package you shouldn't have when you uninstalled
    KDE. Check the /var/log for PackageKit and zypper to see if there's
    better hints to whats missing.

  3. Re: Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    Mateusz Viste wrote:

    > Of course, there is no possible choice on the "configuration
    > dialog", as the dialog is empty.

    I have this too, almost every time I open the update dialogue.

    I guess you have the x86_64 version. It seems to have much more
    problems in the updater than the 32bit version. But mostly you can
    solve them by updating single packages instead of all at once and
    guessing the dependencies yourself.

    T.M.

  4. Re: Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    Torsten Mueller wrote:

    > Mateusz Viste wrote:
    >
    >> Of course, there is no possible choice on the "configuration
    >> dialog", as the dialog is empty.

    > I have this too, almost every time I open the update dialogue.
    >
    > I guess you have the x86_64 version. It seems to have much more
    > problems in the updater than the 32bit version. But mostly you can
    > solve them by updating single packages instead of all at once and
    > guessing the dependencies yourself.

    Mmm. I know I am not running 32 bit, yet I have no problems with the
    updater. As you say that there are problems with the 64 bit, I must be
    running something else.

    W000T! I have a 128 bit OS.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I

  5. Re: Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    houghi wrote:

    > Mmm. I know I am not running 32 bit, yet I have no problems with the
    > updater. As you say that there are problems with the 64 bit, I must
    > be running something else.
    >
    > W000T! I have a 128 bit OS.

    I don't know what you are running. But I'm sure the spot lighted by
    your candle is not identical to "Linux" or "OpenSUSE" or "x86_64".

    I know I have problems updating my OpenSUSE 11 x86_64 *everytime* I
    try it as I told here already. Since then it changed a bit but
    difficulties still remain on the following places:

    1) especially the so called build services seem oftenly to produce
    misconfigured dependencies in single packages. Sometimes they need
    weeks to fix this. Even the third and forth update upon a package can
    still have the same misconfigured (missing) dependencies.

    2) the updater oftenly displays an empty window with "dependencies" to
    solve - what to do then?

    3) in many cases the updater seems not to be able to execute mass
    updates regardless of the fact that the list includes really all
    necessary packages in their right version. Updates of 20 or more
    single packages do *never* work at once but they work fine if I update
    the single packages one by one manually.

    T.M.

  6. Re: Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    Torsten Mueller wrote:
    > I don't know what you are running. But I'm sure the spot lighted by
    > your candle is not identical to "Linux" or "OpenSUSE" or "x86_64".

    I run both 32 and 64 bit.

    > I know I have problems updating my OpenSUSE 11 x86_64 *everytime* I
    > try it as I told here already. Since then it changed a bit but
    > difficulties still remain on the following places:

    I don't. What I tried pointing out is that it is most likely not a 64
    bit problem.

    > 1) especially the so called build services seem oftenly to produce
    > misconfigured dependencies in single packages. Sometimes they need
    > weeks to fix this. Even the third and forth update upon a package can
    > still have the same misconfigured (missing) dependencies.

    Very well possible, depending on what repo's you have added. There are
    many repo's there that are not well maintained as they are not
    maintained by openSUSE, e.g. mine.

    > 2) the updater oftenly displays an empty window with "dependencies" to
    > solve - what to do then?

    Start by looking what repo's you have and trow those out that you do not
    need.

    > 3) in many cases the updater seems not to be able to execute mass
    > updates regardless of the fact that the list includes really all
    > necessary packages in their right version. Updates of 20 or more
    > single packages do *never* work at once but they work fine if I update
    > the single packages one by one manually.

    As I said, I have never had that issue. I am pretty scarce with the
    repos I add. If the software is available in one of the official ones, I
    use that, even if a newer version is available somewhere else. As many
    as possible packages are from the OSS or non-OSS list, then many are
    from Packman. When I look at some repos I have added, I also look at
    what software is installed and if it is a non-security risk for me (e.g.
    some game) I disable the repo.

    Here a list of my repos. The one with a * are the active ones:
    20080905-211302
    20080908-223320
    devel:languageserl
    home:Eri_zaq
    *home:houghi
    home:netmax
    http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/11.0
    KDE:Community
    *Main Repository (NON-OSS)
    *Main Repository (OSS)
    *NVIDIA Repository
    openSUSE-11.0-Debug
    openSUSE-11.0-Non-Oss
    *openSUSE-11.0-Updates
    openSUSE-DVD 11.0
    *Packman Repository
    server:monitoring
    *VideoLan Repository

    As you can see the majority is NOT active.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  7. Re: Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    В Понедельник 27 октября 2008 06:06, Torsten Mueller писал:
    > I have this too, almost every time I open the update dialogue.
    >
    > I guess you have the x86_64 version. It seems to have much more
    > problems in the updater than the 32bit version.

    Oops, sorry - I should precise that I am running a 32 bit :-)

    > solve them by updating single packages instead of all at once and
    > guessing the dependencies yourself.

    Unfortunately, I already tried various ways: removing PackageKit, installing
    it again, removing/installing Zypper, refreshing both of them, replacing
    the opensuseupdater by an older version, and then upgrading it again,
    etc...
    None of my tries were succesfull

    Best regards,
    Mateusz Viste

  8. Re: Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    В Понедельник 27 октября 2008 01:51, noi ance писал:
    > Try
    > $ sudo zypper ve # to verify your packages are correctly installed

    I tried, and it tells me about various broken dependencies - but none of
    them is related to PackageKit, opensuseupdater, KDE4 nor zypper.

    > Probably you deleted a package you shouldn't have when you uninstalled
    > KDE.

    That's my guess, too :-)
    In fact, I had erased opensuseupdater, which I reinstalled again later, but
    it's broken until then.

    > Check the /var/log for PackageKit and zypper to see if there's
    > better hints to whats missing.

    Zypper.log doesn't tell me anything interesting. The most young logs are
    dating from the time when it was working (there are some others log, but
    only related to manual package installatin/deinstallation). Since then, it
    seems that the updater has never called zypper for anything. Probably
    because the updater don't know zypper is available (it's not listed in the
    backend choice)...

    Best regards,
    Mateusz Viste

  9. Re: Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    Mateusz Viste wrote:
    >> $ sudo zypper ve # to verify your packages are correctly installed

    > I tried, and it tells me about various broken dependencies - but none of
    > them is related to PackageKit, opensuseupdater, KDE4 nor zypper.

    Perhaps not directly, but indirectly. Best fix the broken dependencies
    before you start looking for the rest. It would be a waste of time if
    one of those would be the cause.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  10. Re: Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:05:00 +0100, Mateusz Viste typed this message:

    > В Понедельник 27 октября 2008 01:51, noi ance писал:
    >> Try
    >> $ sudo zypper ve # to verify your packages are correctly installed

    > I tried, and it tells me about various broken dependencies - but none of
    > them is related to PackageKit, opensuseupdater, KDE4 nor zypper.
    >
    >> Probably you deleted a package you shouldn't have when you uninstalled
    >> KDE.

    > That's my guess, too :-)
    > In fact, I had erased opensuseupdater, which I reinstalled again later,
    > but it's broken until then.
    >
    >> Check the /var/log for PackageKit and zypper to see if there's better
    >> hints to whats missing.

    > Zypper.log doesn't tell me anything interesting. The most young logs are
    > dating from the time when it was working (there are some others log, but
    > only related to manual package installatin/deinstallation). Since then,
    > it seems that the updater has never called zypper for anything. Probably
    > because the updater don't know zypper is available (it's not listed in
    > the backend choice)...
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Mateusz Viste

    Many distros now support an integrated desktop that can run both KDE or
    Gnome, and FWM applications so un-installing KDE dependent packages
    breaks other things.

    As Houghi says its likely a package not directly related to PackageKit or
    zypper but probably one of the packages used by either of those
    programs. Fix all the broken dependencies, especially those related to
    KDE.

    Probably there was a way to set the default remote desktop session to
    something other than KDE instead of uninstalling KDE.

  11. Re: Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    В Понедельник 27 октября 2008 14:41, houghi писал:
    > Perhaps not directly, but indirectly. Best fix the broken dependencies
    > before you start looking for the rest. It would be a waste of time if
    > one of those would be the cause.

    Yeah, you're right - it's never a good idea to keep any broken dependencies...

    These were the dependencies which zypper was shouting about:
    Problem: nothing provides kernel(mm) = fdd7a678f669cbe4 needed by gspcav1-20060925-lotus.i586
    Problem: nothing provides libcrypto.so.6 needed by hydra-common-5.3-alt2.0.i586
    Problem: nothing provides java-1_4_2-sun = 1.4.2.13-0.2 needed by java-1_4_2-sun-plugin-1.4.2.13-0.2.i586
    Problem: nothing provides /sbin/postun_ldconfig needed by libexpat-2.0.0-alt3.1.i586
    Problem: nothing provides /sbin/postun_ldconfig needed by libslang-1.4.9-alt1.i586
    Problem: nothing provides libcrypto.so.5 needed by net-snmp-libs-5.2.1.2-fc4.1.i386
    Problem: nothing provides perl-base >= 2:5.8.7 needed by perl-Locale-gettext-1.05-1mdk.i586
    Problem: nothing provides openssl-perl needed by perl-libwhisker2-2.4-3.fc5.noarch
    Problem: nothing provides exit needed by recoverjpeg-1.1.1-2.guru.suse93.i686
    Problem: nothing provides libevent.so.0 needed by trickle-1.06-1mdk.i586
    Problem: nothing provides libdb-4.2.so needed by zipcracker-0.1.1-3.i686
    Problem: nothing provides openssl-perl needed by perl-libwhisker2-2.4-3.fc5.noarch
    Problem: nothing provides libcrypto.so.5 needed by net-snmp-libs-5.2.1.2-fc4.1.i386
    Problem: nothing provides /sbin/postun_ldconfig needed by libslang-1.4.9-alt1.i586
    Problem: nothing provides libcrypto.so.6 needed by hydra-common-5.3-alt2.0.i586

    Now, there's no more broken dependencies (at least "zypper ve" is not reporting any), though the damned opensuse-updater still doesn't see the zypper backend

    By the way, is there any other (alternative) updater tool for OpenSUSE?

    Best regards,
    Mateusz Viste

  12. Re: Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    Mateusz Viste wrote:
    > Now, there's no more broken dependencies (at least "zypper ve" is not reporting any), though the damned opensuse-updater still doesn't see the zypper backend

    OK, now we can start trying to look what goes wrong. Can you do `zypper
    sh` as root? As user?

    > By the way, is there any other (alternative) updater tool for OpenSUSE?

    smart is one, I think. Yum is another, obviously plain rpm could be
    used as well. I never needed them and just used YaST directly.

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.

  13. Re: Some troubles with opensuseupdater

    В Вторник 28 октября 2008 12:59, houghi писал:
    > OK, now we can start trying to look what goes wrong. Can you do `zypper
    > sh` as root? As user?

    In both case I am getting a "zypper" shell. Using "help" I get the list of
    various useable commands.
    No difference if ran as regular user or root.

    I guess that the trouble comes from the opensuseupdater itself, rather than
    from a problem in zypper. After having resolved all broken dependencies in
    my system, I tried again to uninstall/reinstall opensuseupdater, zypper and
    PackageKit, but without any success

    Best regards,
    Mateusz Viste

+ Reply to Thread