manual NFS mount works, but not during boot up, why? - Suse

This is a discussion on manual NFS mount works, but not during boot up, why? - Suse ; From my openSUSE 11 client computer, I can do an NFS mount with the following command to another openSUSE 11 computer (which is the server): mount server_name:/data /test_mount so the /data directory on the "server" computer gets mounted to the ...

  1. manual NFS mount works, but not during boot up, why?

    From my openSUSE 11 client computer, I can do an NFS mount with the
    following command to another openSUSE 11 computer (which is the
    server):

    mount server_name:/data /test_mount

    so the /data directory on the "server" computer gets mounted to the /
    test_mount directory on the "client" computer.

    This works fine.

    But when I tried to make this mount automatically during boot up, it
    doesn't work.

    This is what I did:

    On the "client" computer, inside the /etc/fstab file, this is what I
    have:

    server_name:/data /test_mount nfs defaults 0 0

    After rebooting the client computer, the mount point is not mounted.
    Any suggestion as to how to fix this problem? Thanks.

  2. Re: manual NFS mount works, but not during boot up, why?

    Michelle wrote:
    > After rebooting the client computer, the mount point is not mounted.
    > Any suggestion as to how to fix this problem? Thanks.

    Are the NFS client on the client and the NFS server on the server
    running during te boot?

    houghi
    --
    Theologians can pursuade themselves of anything. Anyone who can worship
    a trinity and insists that his religion is a monotheism can believe

  3. Re: manual NFS mount works, but not during boot up, why?

    Michelle wrote:

    > After rebooting the client computer, the mount point is not mounted.
    > Any suggestion as to how to fix this problem? Thanks.

    go to YaST - networkservices - nfs client.
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...-nfsclient.png
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  4. Re: manual NFS mount works, but not during boot up, why?

    Michelle hatte geschrieben:

    > From my openSUSE 11 client computer, I can do an NFS mount with the
    > following command to another openSUSE 11 computer (which is the
    > server):
    >
    > mount server_name:/data /test_mount

    > On the "client" computer, inside the /etc/fstab file, this is what I
    > have:
    >
    > server_name:/data /test_mount nfs defaults 0 0
    >

    > After rebooting the client computer, the mount point is not mounted.
    > Any suggestion as to how to fix this problem? Thanks.

    /ets/fstab is processed well before the configuration of the network:
    without network no nfs mounts ;-)
    Try autofs instead. Or add a script to init that is run after the
    network configuration.

    GŁnther

  5. Re: manual NFS mount works, but not during boot up, why?

    On Oct 25, 3:00*am, houghi wrote:
    > Michelle wrote:
    > > After rebooting the client computer, the mount point is not mounted.
    > > Any suggestion as to how to fix this problem? Thanks.

    > Are the NFS client on the client and the NFS server on the server
    > running during te boot?
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > Theologians can pursuade themselves of anything. Anyone who can worship
    > a trinity and insists that his religion is a monotheism can believe
    > anything -- just give him time to rationalize it.
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Robert A. Heinlein, JOB: A Comedy of Justice

    I turned on NFSSERVER on the server, and I confirmed it's running on
    the server.
    Do I need to turn on a certain service on the client computer in order
    to do an auto-mount from the client?

  6. Re: manual NFS mount works, but not during boot up, why?

    Michelle wrote:
    > I turned on NFSSERVER on the server, and I confirmed it's running on
    > the server.
    > Do I need to turn on a certain service on the client computer in order
    > to do an auto-mount from the client?

    I launch both the NFS client and the NFS zserver on both machines as
    both are client and server.

    houghi
    --
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom.
    Don't ever count on having both at once.

+ Reply to Thread