Packman - Suse

This is a discussion on Packman - Suse ; Older mandrivaker but very newbye with Suse 11.0, I search help: where can I download Packman (not the play, obviously 8-) )? Tnx...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Packman

  1. Packman

    Older mandrivaker but very newbye with Suse 11.0, I search help: where
    can I download Packman (not the play, obviously 8-) )?
    Tnx

  2. Re: Packman

    MayBe wrote:
    > Older mandrivaker but very newbye with Suse 11.0, I search help: where
    > can I download Packman (not the play, obviously 8-) )?
    > Tnx


    welcome..

    you say download, i guess you mean use as a YaST or zypper repository..

    good info here:
    http://opensuse-community.org/Repositories/Packman

    list of mirrors by version at:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_Ya...tories#Packman

    --
    see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE 3.5.7, SUSE Linux
    10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  3. Re: Packman

    MayBe wrote:
    >
    >
    > Older mandrivaker but very newbye with Suse 11.0, I search help: where
    > can I download Packman (not the play, obviously 8-) )?


    Packman is a repository that you can add. If you have a question on how
    to do something in openSUSE, look in YaST first. In fact, look around in
    YaST anyway. There is a LOT there, not just installing programs.

    YaST, Software, Software Repositories, Add, Community Repositories,
    Next. There you select Packman and best also VideoLan while you are at
    it.

    All the rest you do not need to add. Add them only when you need them.

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Stevie Wonder
    | Song : Ordinary Pain
    | Album : Songs in the Key of Life

  4. Re: Packman

    Il Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:47:01 +0200, houghi ha scritto:

    > MayBe wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> Older mandrivaker but very newbye with Suse 11.0, I search help: where
    >> can I download Packman (not the play, obviously 8-) )?

    >
    > Packman is a repository that you can add. If you have a question on how
    > to do something in openSUSE, look in YaST first. In fact, look around in
    > YaST anyway. There is a LOT there, not just installing programs.
    >
    > YaST, Software, Software Repositories, Add, Community Repositories,
    > Next. There you select Packman and best also VideoLan while you are at
    > it.
    >
    > All the rest you do not need to add. Add them only when you need them.
    >
    > houghi


    Tnx hougi and DenverD.
    Saint ignorance! Until now I'vethinked that were a program
    installer, something as apt-get, smart and so on, I never thinked it can
    be a repository.
    Now I've followed your suggests and I'm embarassed, because the
    availability of the .rpm for ALL is endless: .

    Now I begin to understand the Suse, sometime I can even wrong, but I've
    very experience of the test&error system, it cannot be the speedest but I
    know it works 8-))


  5. Re: Packman

    MayBe wrote:
    > Now I've followed your suggests and I'm embarassed, because the
    > availability of the .rpm for ALL is endless: .


    There are even MORE programs you can install. In firefox you have a
    search for openSUSE software. This program will take you to
    http://software.opensuse.org/search Software you find there can be
    installed via a 1-click install. e.g.
    http://software.opensuse.org/search?...1&q=lbreakout2
    which is a nice game. Just click on the 1-Click Install and that will
    start the installation process and will add repositories if needed and
    install extra software if needed.

    It will not only look through the official repositories, but also
    unofficial ones that are made by users.

    Another place to look is http://packages.opensuse-community.org/

    It is because the 1-Click install ads the repositories itself that I
    said not to add any more then just the two.

    Obviously the first you should install now is MPlayer, MPlayer plugin
    and codecs32.

    And again, look around in YaST, as there is much more to it then just an
    installer.

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Jeff Wayne
    | Song : Dark Autumn Dub
    | Album : War Of The Worlds

  6. Re: Packman

    > Now I've followed your suggests and I'm embarassed


    do NOT be embarrassed...these different flavors are very different in how they
    manage packages, updates etc..

    you probably ought to read "Basic openSuSE concepts" to get a feel for some of
    what is different from the Mand* flavor:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Concepts or http://tinyurl.com/66h4rw

    and, if you like apt-get you really ought to peek at zypper...a good overview
    article at http://opensuse-tutorials.com/category/zypper/

    (and [man | info] zypper of course)
    --
    see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE 3.5.7, SUSE Linux
    10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  7. Re: Packman

    MayBe turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    > Until now I'vethinked that were a program
    > installer, something as apt-get, smart and so on, I never thinked it can
    > be a repository.


    Yes, unlike apt-get (or urpmi, which i think mandrake has) yast allows for
    various items.

    If you want pacman on opensuse, then just install MAME.

    http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/20...607_pacman.jpg

    :P


    --
    www.perfectreign.com || www.filesite.org

    government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and
    statutes and 1% logic

+ Reply to Thread