preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloadedDVD - Suse

This is a discussion on preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloadedDVD - Suse ; My Dell 8250 desktop PC currently has Windows XP and Redhat 6 installed. I use Windows XP dual boot (with boot.ini) as my boot menu. I copied bootsect.lnx to my C drive as part of this process years ago installing ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloadedDVD

  1. preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloadedDVD

    My Dell 8250 desktop PC currently has Windows XP and Redhat 6
    installed. I use Windows XP
    dual boot (with boot.ini) as my boot menu. I copied bootsect.lnx to my
    C drive as part of this process
    years ago installing Redhat 6 long ago.

    I want to install openSuse 11 (I downloaded the DVD) over Redhat linux
    (not keeping any of the old
    Redhat stuff), using the same Linux drives that Redhat currently owns
    and uses. I want to make sure
    that I do not overlay my MBR. I want things to stay the way they are,
    except that booting Linux from
    the XP boot menu will now boot openSuse 11.

    I once made a mistake installing Linux and am afraid of overlaying my
    MBR. What exactly do I have
    to pay attention to, and what specific choices must I make during the
    Suse install process to get what
    I want here?????

    Thanks in advance
    John

  2. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloadedDVD

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:27:07 -0700, odindba wrote:

    > My Dell 8250 desktop PC currently has Windows XP and Redhat 6 installed.
    > I use Windows XP
    > dual boot (with boot.ini) as my boot menu. I copied bootsect.lnx to my C
    > drive as part of this process
    > years ago installing Redhat 6 long ago.
    >
    > I want to install openSuse 11 (I downloaded the DVD) over Redhat linux
    > (not keeping any of the old
    > Redhat stuff), using the same Linux drives that Redhat currently owns
    > and uses. I want to make sure
    > that I do not overlay my MBR. I want things to stay the way they are,
    > except that booting Linux from
    > the XP boot menu will now boot openSuse 11.
    >
    > I once made a mistake installing Linux and am afraid of overlaying my
    > MBR. What exactly do I have
    > to pay attention to, and what specific choices must I make during the
    > Suse install process to get what
    > I want here?????
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > John


    When, near the end of the install, you are presented with the option of
    where to install the bootloader, tell it not to.

  3. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloadedDVD

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:27:07 -0700, odindba wrote:

    > My Dell 8250 desktop PC currently has Windows XP and Redhat 6 installed.
    > I use Windows XP
    > dual boot (with boot.ini) as my boot menu. I copied bootsect.lnx to my C
    > drive as part of this process
    > years ago installing Redhat 6 long ago.
    >
    > I want to install openSuse 11 (I downloaded the DVD) over Redhat linux
    > (not keeping any of the old
    > Redhat stuff), using the same Linux drives that Redhat currently owns
    > and uses. I want to make sure
    > that I do not overlay my MBR. I want things to stay the way they are,
    > except that booting Linux from
    > the XP boot menu will now boot openSuse 11.
    >
    > I once made a mistake installing Linux and am afraid of overlaying my
    > MBR. What exactly do I have
    > to pay attention to, and what specific choices must I make during the
    > Suse install process to get what
    > I want here?????
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > John


    You might want to consider installing it in a virtual machine inside your
    ms install - it would seem to me that would be easier, and it's certainly
    a lot faster than rebooting a dual boot.

  4. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloaded DVD

    Thanks, but don't I have to tell the installer to put something in the
    boot sector of a linux
    partition? Don't I have to copy this thing to a floppy (using the dd
    command) and then to my
    C: drive (where boot.ini will point to it?????

    ray wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:27:07 -0700, odindba wrote:
    >
    > > My Dell 8250 desktop PC currently has Windows XP and Redhat 6 installed.
    > > I use Windows XP
    > > dual boot (with boot.ini) as my boot menu. I copied bootsect.lnx to my C
    > > drive as part of this process
    > > years ago installing Redhat 6 long ago.
    > >
    > > I want to install openSuse 11 (I downloaded the DVD) over Redhat linux
    > > (not keeping any of the old
    > > Redhat stuff), using the same Linux drives that Redhat currently owns
    > > and uses. I want to make sure
    > > that I do not overlay my MBR. I want things to stay the way they are,
    > > except that booting Linux from
    > > the XP boot menu will now boot openSuse 11.
    > >
    > > I once made a mistake installing Linux and am afraid of overlaying my
    > > MBR. What exactly do I have
    > > to pay attention to, and what specific choices must I make during the
    > > Suse install process to get what
    > > I want here?????
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > > John

    >
    > When, near the end of the install, you are presented with the option of
    > where to install the bootloader, tell it not to.


  5. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloaded DVD

    odindba wrote:


    This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
    this newsgroup clean
    Short story: Please read http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    Long story:
    Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on
    Usenet. There are several solutions to this problem. The best is to use a
    newsreader. For Windows there is e.g. FreeAgent and for Linux there is
    Pan, Knode or slrn, among others.

    Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. If they do not
    have a Usenetserver, look up a payserver, like http://giganews.com or a
    free server like news.sunsite.dk (registration required)

    Now what if you are not at home all the time and that is your reason to
    select google? Glad you asked.
    If you have a fixed connection, you can use a dyndns server to make a
    connection to your home linux machine over ssl and use anything that is
    on your home computer.
    e.g. ssh home.example.com and then run slrn. GUI interfaces are possible
    as well on any OS.
    If you are unable to keep a connection up, you can register at
    http://www.rootshell.be and then connect to there and use slrn on that
    machine. slrn is textbased and might be scary at first. As Usenet is
    text anyway, you will very fast learn how to use it and configure it.

    Only if all else fails and you have no option in using Usnet in any other
    way, including waiting till you get home, you can use Google. You can
    still quote correctly as described on the following page:
    http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    Understand that many people already filter out google postings. So best
    look for an alternative. Usenet is not WWW. If you want WWW, look up
    a webforum. This is not a webforum.

    I sympathize with your problems, and am more than willing to help you
    solve them. To do so you should follow the correct quoting principles
    and good Netiquette explained in this FAQ available at;
    http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

    Until then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice
    won't do so. So in the interest of solving your problems, quote correctly
    and ask Google to reinstate the correct way of quoting.

    Remember: this was not a flame, this was helping you to get the best response
    and help possible.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we
    have tolerated the last eight years? -- Frank Zappa, in 1988

  6. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloaded DVD

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:53:35 -0700, odindba wrote:

    > Thanks, but don't I have to tell the installer to put something in the
    > boot sector of a linux
    > partition? Don't I have to copy this thing to a floppy (using the dd
    > command) and then to my
    > C: drive (where boot.ini will point to it?????
    >
    >

    When suse asks you where to place the installer it also tells you what
    distros etc it suggests, you can make an addition if you need to and
    amend the order and tell it to place the installer in the mbr or
    elsewhere (if you want this).
    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l
    Linux user 335851

  7. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloaded DVD

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:53:35 -0700, odindba wrote:

    > Thanks, but don't I have to tell the installer to put something in the
    > boot sector of a linux
    > partition? Don't I have to copy this thing to a floppy (using the dd
    > command) and then to my
    > C: drive (where boot.ini will point to it?????


    I don't know how that works using ms to control the boot. Most distros, on
    install, will let you put the boot record in the MBR, on the partition, or
    not at all.


    >
    > ray wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:27:07 -0700, odindba wrote:
    >>
    >> > My Dell 8250 desktop PC currently has Windows XP and Redhat 6
    >> > installed. I use Windows XP
    >> > dual boot (with boot.ini) as my boot menu. I copied bootsect.lnx to
    >> > my C drive as part of this process
    >> > years ago installing Redhat 6 long ago.
    >> >
    >> > I want to install openSuse 11 (I downloaded the DVD) over Redhat
    >> > linux (not keeping any of the old
    >> > Redhat stuff), using the same Linux drives that Redhat currently owns
    >> > and uses. I want to make sure
    >> > that I do not overlay my MBR. I want things to stay the way they are,
    >> > except that booting Linux from
    >> > the XP boot menu will now boot openSuse 11.
    >> >
    >> > I once made a mistake installing Linux and am afraid of overlaying my
    >> > MBR. What exactly do I have
    >> > to pay attention to, and what specific choices must I make during the
    >> > Suse install process to get what
    >> > I want here?????
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance
    >> > John

    >>
    >> When, near the end of the install, you are presented with the option of
    >> where to install the bootloader, tell it not to.



  8. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloadedDVD

    odindba wrote:
    > Thanks, but don't I have to tell the installer to put something in the
    > boot sector of a linux
    > partition?


    GRUB stage1, put by the Linux install anywhere but in the MBR, will not
    work correctly when copied to the C: drive.

    Don't I have to copy this thing to a floppy (using the dd
    > command) and then to my
    > C: drive (where boot.ini will point to it?????


    You then need an entry in Windows' boot.ini to call it.

    You're almost correct. You need a copy of stage1 of GRUB which is
    normally put in the MBR, to put in the Windows' "C" drive where boot.ini
    can find it. If this part of GRUB, (stage1), was produced by the
    current Linux install, it will know where to access and use the rest of
    GRUB, which is usually in " /boot/grub" of the Linux root drive.

    The easiest way to do this is let grub put stage1 in the MBR, and use
    "dd", as you suggest, to make a copy to put in Windows' "C" drive. This
    *will* overwrite the MBR, but you can restore the Windows' one with
    fdisk /mbr or from the Windows repair menu "fix mbr". Then edit
    boot.ini to call the copy you made, which will then boot Linux.

    --
    Virg Wall

  9. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloaded DVD

    Let's give this Goggle groups thing a try, shall we. I've just hit
    the Beantwoorden (Reply) button on the *bottom* of the message you
    posted, and ...

    On 22 okt, 08:01, houghi wrote:
    > odindba wrote:
    >
    >
    > This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
    > this newsgroup clean
    > Short story: Please readhttp://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/
    >
    > [snip]


    Well, like most (dis)information on the Internets, your link is
    hopelessly behind the times.

    Huibert.

  10. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloaded DVD

    Thanks all so far. Now someone said:

    > GRUB stage1, put by the Linux install anywhere but in the MBR, will not
    > work correctly when copied to the C: drive.


    and you said:

    You need a copy of stage1 of GRUB which is
    > normally put in the MBR


    My former Linux is Redhat 8, not Suse, so there is no Grub yet (there
    is whatever Redhat used that presents a menu that says Linux or Dos..

    Can't I install Grub (or some boot method for Suse) without molesting
    the MBR??? And why can't I copy it to floppy (even stage 1) and then
    to C: drive??? I realize I can use XP recovery CD to recover MBR, but
    it "feels" scary, to count on this working. So, is there no way the
    entire surgery can proceed with my never touching the MBR, but
    resulting in a Suse entry in boot.ini that works?

    I am waiting to fully run the openSuse install process before I have a
    plan.

    I am ignorant of the stages of Grub and what the components look like
    and do.

    Thanks again.



    VWWall wrote:
    > odindba wrote:
    > > Thanks, but don't I have to tell the installer to put something in the
    > > boot sector of a linux
    > > partition?

    >
    > GRUB stage1, put by the Linux install anywhere but in the MBR, will not
    > work correctly when copied to the C: drive.
    >
    > Don't I have to copy this thing to a floppy (using the dd
    > > command) and then to my
    > > C: drive (where boot.ini will point to it?????

    >
    > You then need an entry in Windows' boot.ini to call it.
    >
    > You're almost correct. You need a copy of stage1 of GRUB which is
    > normally put in the MBR, to put in the Windows' "C" drive where boot.ini
    > can find it. If this part of GRUB, (stage1), was produced by the
    > current Linux install, it will know where to access and use the rest of
    > GRUB, which is usually in " /boot/grub" of the Linux root drive.
    >
    > The easiest way to do this is let grub put stage1 in the MBR, and use
    > "dd", as you suggest, to make a copy to put in Windows' "C" drive. This
    > *will* overwrite the MBR, but you can restore the Windows' one with
    > fdisk /mbr or from the Windows repair menu "fix mbr". Then edit
    > boot.ini to call the copy you made, which will then boot Linux.
    >
    > --
    > Virg Wall


  11. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloaded DVD

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:46:55 -0700, odindba wrote:

    > My former Linux is Redhat 8, not Suse, so there is no Grub yet
    > (there is whatever Redhat used that presents a menu that says
    > Linux or Dos..


    That would have been LILO. LILO is still available for use but
    GRUB has more features.

    > Can't I install Grub (or some boot method for Suse) without molesting
    > the MBR???


    Have you had a read of this web page?



    QUOTE

    HowTo Boot / Multiboot openSUSE and Windows (2000, XP, Vista
    - any mix) using the Windows bootloader.

    You have 2000 and/or XP and/or Vista on your computer along with
    openSUSE. You want to do away with the Grub bootloader and boot
    from the Windows bootloader

    ....

    Method in brief: The method is to configure Grub in openSUSE to boot
    from the root partition, not from the Master Boot Record (MBR). Windows
    bootstrap code is left in the MBR. This bootstrap code passes control
    to the bootloader files in the Windows bootloader.

    UNQUOTE

    I wonder why you are so keen to avoid touching the
    MBR and not using GRUB? ;+}

  12. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloadedDVD

    odindba wrote:

    Sorry if I mislead you..

    A new installation of GRUB should work if you copy stage one from the
    root partition of the Linux installation if you have told the install to
    put GRUB there. The copy you make to put in drive C: will then find the
    rest of GRUB in its normal place in /boot/grub in your Linux root partition.

    See:

    as mentioned by J G Miller.

    > Can't I install Grub (or some boot method for Suse) without molesting
    > the MBR??? And why can't I copy it to floppy (even stage 1) and then
    > to C: drive???


    You have to let the install place stage1 somewhere before a copy will
    work. The install puts code in stage1 so that it can find the rest of
    GRUB. The stage1 of an un-installed GRUB does not know where to find
    the rest of GRUB and the boot menu, (menu.lst).

    I realize I can use XP recovery CD to recover MBR, but
    > it "feels" scary, to count on this working. So, is there no way the
    > entire surgery can proceed with my never touching the MBR, but
    > resulting in a Suse entry in boot.ini that works?


    You could also let Linux's GRUB be put in the MBR, and let the Windows
    entry in the GRUB Boot Menu load Windows when you wish. This *will*
    overwrite the Windows MBR, but you won't need it! You can even change
    the default to boot Windows first! :-(

    --
    Virg Wall




  13. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloaded DVD

    odindba wrote:
    > Can't I install Grub (or some boot method for Suse) without molesting
    > the MBR???


    Yes, you can.

    > And why can't I copy it to floppy (even stage 1) and then
    > to C: drive???


    Because you are doing it wrong? (and what is a C: drive? If that is
    Windows, ask it in a Windows group)

    > I realize I can use XP recovery CD to recover MBR, but
    > it "feels" scary, to count on this working. So, is there no way the
    > entire surgery can proceed with my never touching the MBR, but
    > resulting in a Suse entry in boot.ini that works?


    You select NOT to use the boot options from openSUSE. How you do things
    in boot.ini is a Windows issue and should be handled in a Windows group.

    > I am waiting to fully run the openSuse install process before I have a
    > plan.


    This has already been given to you previously. I am just repeating.

    > I am ignorant of the stages of Grub and what the components look like
    > and do.


    They do not look like anything. What it does is boot whatever you
    desire.

    houghi
    --
    For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I
    have good luck and write better than I can.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

  14. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloaded DVD

    just me wrote:
    > An easy way to configure the windows boot manager for SuSE is to use
    > the free "bootpart"; do a google on it as I forgot the name of the website;
    > I think that it is the same site as the winzip place.


    If you still run SuSE, best update. That is extremely unsecure software.
    At least use SUSE or even better openSUSE. (IOW, it isn't called SuSE
    since a few years. As if you call somebody Bobby, while he specificaly
    asked to be called Robert.)

    houghi
    --
    For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I
    have good luck and write better than I can.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

  15. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloaded DVD

    On Oct 23, 11:51*am, houghi wrote:
    > just me wrote:
    > > An easy way to configure the windowsbootmanager forSuSEis to use
    > > the free "bootpart"; do a google on it as I forgot the name of the website;
    > > I think that it is the same site as the winzip place.

    >
    > If you still runSuSE, best update. That is extremely unsecure software.
    > At least useSUSEor even better openSUSE. (IOW, it isn't calledSuSE
    > since a few years. As if you call somebody Bobby, while he specificaly
    > asked to be called Robert.)
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I
    > have good luck and write better than I can.
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Ernest Hemingway


    Ok Guys, thanks for all the help so far.

    I installed openSuse 11 just now, from the downloaded DVD. I put Grub/
    boot in the root partition (not the linux boot partition), but told
    the installer not to touch my MBR. I'm in openSuse as I write here. I
    am concerned that if I simply reboot my PC, I'll see the XP boot
    manager, and not be able to get back here to openSuse. How would I do
    this???? I recall that years ago, Redhat 8 created a boot diskette.

    I'd like some emergency Suse boot method (diskette or whatever), but
    also, how would the dd command look to get the Grub stage 1 to a
    diskette, or to my XP drive (C as a file that boot.ini could point
    to? Will I do this from a terminal or from some Gnome entry????

    Thanks again.

  16. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloaded DVD

    On Oct 23, 11:51*am, houghi wrote:
    > just me wrote:
    > > An easy way to configure the windowsbootmanager forSuSEis to use
    > > the free "bootpart"; do a google on it as I forgot the name of the website;
    > > I think that it is the same site as the winzip place.

    >
    > If you still runSuSE, best update. That is extremely unsecure software.
    > At least useSUSEor even better openSUSE. (IOW, it isn't calledSuSE
    > since a few years. As if you call somebody Bobby, while he specificaly
    > asked to be called Robert.)
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I
    > have good luck and write better than I can.
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Ernest Hemingway


    One more thing... I just looked in /boot and see a backup_mbr file
    (512 bytes). Does this mean my MBR was overlaid???

    My ultimate goal is to see the Windows boot manager when I power up
    this machine (with my old operating systems), then to be able to
    select openSuse as one of the boot.ini options.

  17. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloaded DVD

    odindba wrote:
    > I installed openSuse 11 just now, from the downloaded DVD. I put Grub/
    > boot in the root partition (not the linux boot partition), but told
    > the installer not to touch my MBR. I'm in openSuse as I write here. I
    > am concerned that if I simply reboot my PC, I'll see the XP boot
    > manager, and not be able to get back here to openSuse. How would I do
    > this???? I recall that years ago, Redhat 8 created a boot diskette.


    Well, that is what you asked for. Now ask what to do in you boot.ini or
    whatever it is called in a Windows group.

    I would have just letten openSUSE take care of everything and would have
    been able to boot whatever I desired. Again, you specificaly wanted to
    do it this (harder) way by doing the booting via Windows. So now it has
    become a Windows problem.

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then
    we discovered graphics, and we thought it was television. With the World
    Wide Web, we've realized it's a brochure. -- Douglas Adams.

  18. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloaded DVD

    Where I'm at now:

    OK people. I installed openSUSE 11 and did the following (after :
    ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /mnt/windows/C -o force)
    dd if=/dev/sdb7 of=/mnt/windows/C/suse.bin bs=512 count=1

    the file suse.bin was created on my XP C: drive, but when I boot from
    it (using boot.ini) , I simply see the word GRUB appear, on a black
    terminal, and nothing happens>

    What is happening?

    Thanks.

    VWWall wrote:
    > odindba wrote:
    >
    > Sorry if I mislead you..
    >
    > A new installation of GRUB should work if you copy stage one from the
    > root partition of the Linux installation if you have told the install to
    > put GRUB there. The copy you make to put in drive C: will then find the
    > rest of GRUB in its normal place in /boot/grub in your Linux root partition.
    >
    > See:
    >
    > as mentioned by J G Miller.
    >
    > > Can't I install Grub (or some boot method for Suse) without molesting
    > > the MBR??? And why can't I copy it to floppy (even stage 1) and then
    > > to C: drive???

    >
    > You have to let the install place stage1 somewhere before a copy will
    > work. The install puts code in stage1 so that it can find the rest of
    > GRUB. The stage1 of an un-installed GRUB does not know where to find
    > the rest of GRUB and the boot menu, (menu.lst).
    >
    > I realize I can use XP recovery CD to recover MBR, but
    > > it "feels" scary, to count on this working. So, is there no way the
    > > entire surgery can proceed with my never touching the MBR, but
    > > resulting in a Suse entry in boot.ini that works?

    >
    > You could also let Linux's GRUB be put in the MBR, and let the Windows
    > entry in the GRUB Boot Menu load Windows when you wish. This *will*
    > overwrite the Windows MBR, but you won't need it! You can even change
    > the default to boot Windows first! :-(
    >
    > --
    > Virg Wall


  19. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloadedDVD

    odindba wrote:

    > Ok Guys, thanks for all the help so far.
    >
    > I installed openSuse 11 just now, from the downloaded DVD. I put Grub/
    > boot in the root partition (not the linux boot partition), but told
    > the installer not to touch my MBR. I'm in openSuse as I write here. I
    > am concerned that if I simply reboot my PC, I'll see the XP boot
    > manager, and not be able to get back here to openSuse. How would I do
    > this???? I recall that years ago, Redhat 8 created a boot diskette.


    I believe the SUSE, (houghi note!), DVD has a way to boot an installed
    system. Since this is not a Windows question, someone might help! :-)

    If you did a normal installation the root partition, ("/"), contains
    /boot/grub, and there is no "linux boot partition". It seems like you
    did the right thing!

    Read this, as previously noted by J G Miller:

    http://www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtoboot1.html

    It shows how to copy the GRUB stage1 from the root partition to the
    Windows partition which is mounted in Linux. Of course you could also
    copy it first to a floppy, then boot to Windows and copy it to Windows
    from there.
    >
    > I'd like some emergency Suse boot method (diskette or whatever), but
    > also, how would the dd command look to get the Grub stage 1 to a
    > diskette, or to my XP drive (C as a file that boot.ini could point
    > to? Will I do this from a terminal or from some Gnome entry????


    See above. SUSE can do it!

    You do it from a terminal in Linux. You need to be root.

    If your Linux root partition is /dev/sda3 and you've mounted the
    Windows' C: partition as /mnt/windows, it looks like this:

    dd if=/dev/sda3 of=/mnt/windows/suse.bin bs=512 count=1

    This will copy a file to C: named "suse.bin". If you want to copy to
    floppy, of=mnt/fd0/suse.bin, if your floppy drive is mnt/fd0.

    --
    Virg Wall

  20. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloaded DVD

    On 2008-10-23, odindba wrote:
    > Where I'm at now:
    >
    > OK people. I installed openSUSE 11 and did the following (after :
    > ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /mnt/windows/C -o force)
    > dd if=/dev/sdb7 of=/mnt/windows/C/suse.bin bs=512 count=1
    >
    > the file suse.bin was created on my XP C: drive, but when I boot from
    > it (using boot.ini) , I simply see the word GRUB appear, on a black
    > terminal, and nothing happens>
    >
    > What is happening?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > VWWall wrote:
    >> odindba wrote:
    >>
    >> Sorry if I mislead you..
    >>
    >> A new installation of GRUB should work if you copy stage one from the
    >> root partition of the Linux installation if you have told the install to
    >> put GRUB there. The copy you make to put in drive C: will then find the
    >> rest of GRUB in its normal place in /boot/grub in your Linux root partition.
    >>
    >> See:
    >>
    >> as mentioned by J G Miller.
    >>
    >> > Can't I install Grub (or some boot method for Suse) without molesting
    >> > the MBR??? And why can't I copy it to floppy (even stage 1) and then
    >> > to C: drive???

    >>
    >> You have to let the install place stage1 somewhere before a copy will
    >> work. The install puts code in stage1 so that it can find the rest of
    >> GRUB. The stage1 of an un-installed GRUB does not know where to find
    >> the rest of GRUB and the boot menu, (menu.lst).
    >>
    >> I realize I can use XP recovery CD to recover MBR, but
    >> > it "feels" scary, to count on this working. So, is there no way the
    >> > entire surgery can proceed with my never touching the MBR, but
    >> > resulting in a Suse entry in boot.ini that works?

    >>
    >> You could also let Linux's GRUB be put in the MBR, and let the Windows
    >> entry in the GRUB Boot Menu load Windows when you wish. This *will*
    >> overwrite the Windows MBR, but you won't need it! You can even change
    >> the default to boot Windows first! :-(
    >>
    >> --
    >> Virg Wall


    The easy way to update winxp boot.ini is to use bootpart 2.60.

    See "http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm"; unzip & read the doc or
    run bootpart & the help/info will be displayed. The linux purist
    don't want anything to do with the windows bootmanager & prefer to
    use grub/lilo to boot even if the MBR is changed by a service pack.
    Bootpart updates the boot.ini to run your grub in the root partition
    as your root partition is the same as the boot partition.

    Unlike some narrow-minded people here, I do prefer to be able to
    boot from winxp when I want as it is warranted for a multi-os
    system; if I installed solaris again, I would still have an entry
    for it.

    There is also a 64-bit version of bootpart for those running the
    64-bit winxp. I have found that the normal 32-bit version will
    boot my 64-bit opensuse install just fine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast