preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloadedDVD - Suse

This is a discussion on preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloadedDVD - Suse ; just me wrote: >> VWWall wrote: >>> You could also let Linux's GRUB be put in the MBR, and let the Windows >>> entry in the GRUB Boot Menu load Windows when you wish. This *will* >>> overwrite the Windows ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloadedDVD

    just me wrote:

    >> VWWall wrote:
    >>> You could also let Linux's GRUB be put in the MBR, and let the Windows
    >>> entry in the GRUB Boot Menu load Windows when you wish. This *will*
    >>> overwrite the Windows MBR, but you won't need it! You can even change
    >>> the default to boot Windows first! :-(

    > The easy way to update winxp boot.ini is to use bootpart 2.60.
    >
    > See "http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm"; unzip & read the doc or
    > run bootpart & the help/info will be displayed. The linux purist
    > don't want anything to do with the windows bootmanager & prefer to
    > use grub/lilo to boot even if the MBR is changed by a service pack.
    > Bootpart updates the boot.ini to run your grub in the root partition
    > as your root partition is the same as the boot partition.

    ....and the Windows' purists don't want GRUB to mess with its MBR.

    > Unlike some narrow-minded people here, I do prefer to be able to
    > boot from winxp when I want as it is warranted for a multi-os
    > system; if I installed solaris again, I would still have an entry
    > for it.

    I did start by booting Linux from the Windows' boot.ini, but with more
    than one Linux distro it gets messy fast, even with bootpart's help!

    The standard GRUB install in openSUSE will have an entry for Windows.

    I have two Windows XP systems and four distros of Linux running, one is
    my normal OS, and the rest are for testing new distros. I do have a
    small, (30MB), boot partition, and boot everything from that.

    chainloader + 1 works fine for Windows and any other OS you might want
    to set up. If Windows screws up the GRUB in the MBR, Yast or a similar
    program will fix it.

    > There is also a 64-bit version of bootpart for those running the
    > 64-bit winxp. I have found that the normal 32-bit version will
    > boot my 64-bit opensuse install just fine.

    It calls the GRUB you installed with 64bit SUSE, so of course it will
    work. When you install WinXPx64 together with a 32 bit WinXP, the
    boot.ini is modified to permit a choice from the Windows' boot.

    My Linux GRUB boots Windows, and its boot.ini lets me choose WinXP x64
    or the regular 32 bit WinXP. To probably annoy the Linux purists even
    more, I use Ext2IFS in Windows, which lets me edit files in any ext2 or
    ext3 Linux partition.

    The nice thing about Linux: It lets you skin the cat in several ways!
    If the "cat" happens to be Windows, so much the better! :-)
    --
    Virg Wall

    P.S.: Somebody tell him how to use the SUSE DVD to boot the system he's
    installed. I have only the openSUSE CD here to try.

  2. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloaded DVD

    Well, lots of good info....

    I'm curious about (partly because I have not been able to boot to the
    openSUSE I just installed) from boot.ini or anywhere else:

    1. What is happening that when I boot from the suse.bin that I used
    the dd statement to copy from my root partition to my XP (C drive, I
    see the word "GRUB" on an otherwise blank screen, and nothing more
    happens????

    2. I told the openSUSE install program to place the boot stuff on root
    (/), but the install program detected and suggested keeping (which I
    did) a tiny linux boot partition. Should I place the boot stuff there
    instead of (as well as) in the root partition.

    3. Maybe it's just a weirdness of my Dell PC, but only once in every
    several times
    will my PC boot from the openSUSE downloaded DVD. When it does, is
    there an option that simply boots the openSUSE system I installed
    yesterday? I would want to make sure it did not molest my MBR.

    The web page ( http://www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtoboot1.html ) for
    beginning the install process using the DVD seems to not quite
    describe the DVD install procedure on my version 11 openSUSE
    downloaded DVD. Specifically, I did not see the "Other Options"
    selection that will allow me to select to "Boot Installed System"?
    Where is it?

    Thanks.

    VWWall wrote:
    > just me wrote:

    > > The easy way to update winxp boot.ini is to use bootpart 2.60.
    > >
    > > See "http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm"; unzip & read the doc or
    > > run bootpart & the help/info will be displayed. The linux purist
    > > don't want anything to do with the windows bootmanager & prefer to
    > > use grub/lilo to boot even if the MBR is changed by a service pack.
    > > Bootpart updates the boot.ini to run your grub in the root partition
    > > as your root partition is the same as the boot partition.

    > ...and the Windows' purists don't want GRUB to mess with its MBR.
    > >
    > > Unlike some narrow-minded people here, I do prefer to be able to
    > > boot from winxp when I want as it is warranted for a multi-os
    > > system; if I installed solaris again, I would still have an entry
    > > for it.

    > I did start by booting Linux from the Windows' boot.ini, but with more
    > than one Linux distro it gets messy fast, even with bootpart's help!
    >
    > The standard GRUB install in openSUSE will have an entry for Windows.
    >
    > I have two Windows XP systems and four distros of Linux running, one is
    > my normal OS, and the rest are for testing new distros. I do have a
    > small, (30MB), boot partition, and boot everything from that.
    >
    > chainloader + 1 works fine for Windows and any other OS you might want
    > to set up. If Windows screws up the GRUB in the MBR, Yast or a similar
    > program will fix it.
    >
    > > There is also a 64-bit version of bootpart for those running the
    > > 64-bit winxp. I have found that the normal 32-bit version will
    > > boot my 64-bit opensuse install just fine.

    > It calls the GRUB you installed with 64bit SUSE, so of course it will
    > work. When you install WinXPx64 together with a 32 bit WinXP, the
    > boot.ini is modified to permit a choice from the Windows' boot.
    >
    > My Linux GRUB boots Windows, and its boot.ini lets me choose WinXP x64
    > or the regular 32 bit WinXP. To probably annoy the Linux purists even
    > more, I use Ext2IFS in Windows, which lets me edit files in any ext2 or
    > ext3 Linux partition.
    >
    > The nice thing about Linux: It lets you skin the cat in several ways!
    > If the "cat" happens to be Windows, so much the better! :-)
    > --
    > Virg Wall
    >
    > P.S.: Somebody tell him how to use the SUSE DVD to boot the system he's
    > installed. I have only the openSUSE CD here to try.

  3. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloaded DVD

    VWWall wrote:
    > I believe the SUSE, (houghi note!)

    SUSE is the SUSE Linux Enterprise distribution. Also known as SLES or
    SLED. Most likely you work with openSUSE, the community version
    previously known as S.u.S.E, SuSE and then SUSE and now renamed to
    openSUSE to make mixing up SLE and the free (as in beer) community
    version less likely.

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then

  4. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloaded DVD

    odindba wrote:

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then
    we discovered graphics, and we thought it was television. With the World
    Wide Web, we've realized it's a brochure. -- Douglas Adams.

  5. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 fromdownloaded DVD

    On 2008-10-24, houghi wrote:
    > VWWall wrote:
    >> I believe the SUSE, (houghi note!)

    > SUSE is the SUSE Linux Enterprise distribution. Also known as SLES or
    > SLED. Most likely you work with openSUSE, the community version
    > previously known as S.u.S.E, SuSE and then SUSE and now renamed to
    > openSUSE to make mixing up SLE and the free (as in beer) community
    > version less likely.
    >
    > houghi

    PLONK....sounds like a micro$oft mvp

  6. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloaded DVD

    just me wrote:
    > On 2008-10-24, houghi wrote:

    > PLONK....sounds like a micro$oft mvp

    ROTFLOL.

    houghi
    | Artist : Marco borsato
    | Song : Wie
    | Album : De waarheid

  7. Re: preserving windows dual boot installing openSuse 11 from downloaded DVD

    VWWall a écrit:

    >>I have two Windows XP systems and four distros of Linux running, one is
    >>my normal OS, and the rest are for testing new distros. I do have a
    >>small, (30MB), boot partition, and boot everything from that.

    I'm very intersted in your partition scheme. Could you please detailed
    it, something like this will be perfect:

    - PARTITION ONE: Boot - primary / extended / size
    - PARTITION TWO: WIN XP 1 - primary / extended / size
    ..
    ..
    .. etc..

    Thank you so much in advance,