Trying to set up virtual hosts with FTP usernames and passwords - Suse

This is a discussion on Trying to set up virtual hosts with FTP usernames and passwords - Suse ; Hi, I have SUSE 11.0 and I am setting up virtual host directories for web sites, but I cannot find info on how to set up FTP with usernames and passwords into their host directories so that my friends and ...

  1. Trying to set up virtual hosts with FTP usernames and passwords

    Hi, I have SUSE 11.0 and I am setting up virtual host directories for
    web sites, but I cannot find info on how to set up FTP with usernames
    and passwords into their host directories so that my friends and
    clients can do their own FTP into their own web site directories. I
    would be very grateful for any help anyone can give.

  2. Re: Trying to set up virtual hosts with FTP usernames and passwords

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:06:06 -0700, Badgodwand wrote:

    > Hi, I have SUSE 11.0 and I am setting up virtual host directories for
    > web sites, but I cannot find info on how to set up FTP with usernames
    > and passwords into their host directories so that my friends and clients
    > can do their own FTP into their own web site directories. I would be
    > very grateful for any help anyone can give.

    In order to provide an FTP service, you have to install an FTP daemon.

    openSUSE makes available the vsftp daemon in a pre-built package, so you
    could install this and then configure it appropriate to your needs.

    There is an informative guide at

    to assist you in this task.

  3. Re: Trying to set up virtual hosts with FTP usernames and passwords

    J G Miller wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:06:06 -0700, Badgodwand wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I have SUSE 11.0 and I am setting up virtual host directories for
    >> web sites, but I cannot find info on how to set up FTP with usernames
    >> and passwords into their host directories so that my friends and clients
    >> can do their own FTP into their own web site directories. I would be
    >> very grateful for any help anyone can give.

    > In order to provide an FTP service, you have to install an FTP daemon.
    >
    > openSUSE makes available the vsftp daemon in a pre-built package, so you
    > could install this and then configure it appropriate to your needs.
    >
    > There is an informative guide at
    >

    > to assist you in this task.

    Also download the Yast module 'yast2-ftp-server' to make it easy to
    configure vsftpd... Just a couple of minutes and your good to go.

  4. Re: Trying to set up virtual hosts with FTP usernames and passwords

    On Oct 19, 4:06 pm, Badgodwand wrote:
    > Hi, I have SUSE 11.0 and I am setting up virtual host directories for
    > web sites, but I cannot find info on how to set up FTP with usernames
    > and passwords into their host directories so that my friends and
    > clients can do their own FTP into their own web site directories. I
    > would be very grateful for any help anyone can give.

    Thanks for the info. I have to attend to some homework for classes,
    but I will try out some of these suggestions once I can get back to
    tending to my server.

+ Reply to Thread