No Wi-Fi - Suse

This is a discussion on No Wi-Fi - Suse ; I am using open Suse 11.0 on a Dell laptop. When at home, in Bangkok, using a DSL router/modem I have no problem connecting to the I-net. However, when I am in Phuket there is only a WiFi net connection ...

  1. No Wi-Fi

    I am using open Suse 11.0 on a Dell laptop.

    When at home, in Bangkok, using a DSL router/modem I have no problem
    connecting to the I-net. However, when I am in Phuket there is only a
    WiFi net connection available and as the WiFi receiver I use is
    external and uses its own driver I cannot connect.

    I have not done any extensive research on this (just got back to
    Phuket yesterday) but can anyone give me any pointers that might help,
    or at least keep me from going down the wrong path? i.e., "the only
    solution is to obtain linux drivers from the manufacturer or the whole
    scheme is a bust" is a valid answer as it would keep me from doing
    days of work only to fail in the end.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  2. Re: No Wi-Fi

    Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    > I am using open Suse 11.0 on a Dell laptop.
    >
    > When at home, in Bangkok, using a DSL router/modem I have no problem
    > connecting to the I-net. However, when I am in Phuket there is only a
    > WiFi net connection available and as the WiFi receiver I use is
    > external and uses its own driver I cannot connect.
    >
    > I have not done any extensive research on this (just got back to
    > Phuket yesterday) but can anyone give me any pointers that might help,
    > or at least keep me from going down the wrong path? i.e., "the only
    > solution is to obtain linux drivers from the manufacturer or the whole
    > scheme is a bust" is a valid answer as it would keep me from doing
    > days of work only to fail in the end.
    >
    > Bruce-in-Bangkok
    > (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    Probably the first thing to do is identify the name and brand of the
    WiFi card you are using. Then people may be able to help. Are you
    connecting at home via LAN cable?

    Guy

  3. Re: No Wi-Fi

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 07:53:25 +0700 Bruce in Bangkok
    wrote:

    > I am using open Suse 11.0 on a Dell laptop.
    >
    > When at home, in Bangkok, using a DSL router/modem I have no problem
    > connecting to the I-net. However, when I am in Phuket there is only a
    > WiFi net connection available and as the WiFi receiver I use is
    > external and uses its own driver I cannot connect.

    Bruce, I have a similar problem (well, perhaps not quite).

    I use an internal WiFi card on my Dell Precision M70 crap top brick.

    Could connect ok to WiFi at BKK airport lounges, but in the TG lounge at
    Dhaka no luck, when all the dorks around me using Windows could get on.
    Happens there every time.

    I use Suse 10.3.

    In another strange case, I connect to BiGPond WiFi in Australia at BigPond
    hot spots ($$) and sign in ok; trying to get my email from BigPond I get a
    "cannot connect" message, yet Google is ok for POP & SMTP, and I can browse
    the web. This is a constant issue.

    No such problem using a free BigPond connection in Qantas lounges in
    Oz. Nor my wireless at home.

    Strange ****!

    If you find the answer to your problem, do you mind posting?

    (PS Have I bumped into you in Sukumvit at all?)

  4. Re: No Wi-Fi

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 06:55:14 -0400, Guy Wilson
    wrote:

    >Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    >> I am using open Suse 11.0 on a Dell laptop.
    >>
    >> When at home, in Bangkok, using a DSL router/modem I have no problem
    >> connecting to the I-net. However, when I am in Phuket there is only a
    >> WiFi net connection available and as the WiFi receiver I use is
    >> external and uses its own driver I cannot connect.
    >>
    >> I have not done any extensive research on this (just got back to
    >> Phuket yesterday) but can anyone give me any pointers that might help,
    >> or at least keep me from going down the wrong path? i.e., "the only
    >> solution is to obtain linux drivers from the manufacturer or the whole
    >> scheme is a bust" is a valid answer as it would keep me from doing
    >> days of work only to fail in the end.
    >>
    >> Bruce-in-Bangkok
    >> (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    >Probably the first thing to do is identify the name and brand of the
    >WiFi card you are using. Then people may be able to help. Are you
    >connecting at home via LAN cable?
    >
    >Guy

    Sure.
    The WiFi receiver/transmitter is a D-Link Rangebooster DWA-146. The
    laptop, a DELL INSPERATION 6000, has an internal WiFi receiver however
    when on board the boat it is not usable due, I believe, to the lounge
    table being at approximately water level. The D-Link is mounted about
    20 ft. above the water and feeds the computer through a USB cable.

    Using Windows it is a matter of installing the D-Link supplied driver
    and Bob's your uncle, but so far using Suse I can't even see that the
    USB connection is recognized.

    Connection in Bangkok is through a direct connection to a DSL router
    using normal ethernet protocols.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  5. Re: No Wi-Fi

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:07:52 +1100, Polly the Parrot
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 07:53:25 +0700 Bruce in Bangkok
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am using open Suse 11.0 on a Dell laptop.
    >>
    >> When at home, in Bangkok, using a DSL router/modem I have no problem
    >> connecting to the I-net. However, when I am in Phuket there is only a
    >> WiFi net connection available and as the WiFi receiver I use is
    >> external and uses its own driver I cannot connect.

    >Bruce, I have a similar problem (well, perhaps not quite).
    >
    >I use an internal WiFi card on my Dell Precision M70 crap top brick.
    >
    >Could connect ok to WiFi at BKK airport lounges, but in the TG lounge at
    >Dhaka no luck, when all the dorks around me using Windows could get on.
    >Happens there every time.
    >
    >I use Suse 10.3.
    >
    >In another strange case, I connect to BiGPond WiFi in Australia at BigPond
    >hot spots ($$) and sign in ok; trying to get my email from BigPond I get a
    >"cannot connect" message, yet Google is ok for POP & SMTP, and I can browse
    >the web. This is a constant issue.
    >
    >No such problem using a free BigPond connection in Qantas lounges in
    >Oz. Nor my wireless at home.
    >
    >Strange ****!
    >
    >If you find the answer to your problem, do you mind posting?
    >
    >(PS Have I bumped into you in Sukumvit at all?)

    I doubt that you have run into me on Sukhumvit as I pretty much stay
    at home and play with the grand kids when I'm in Bangkok (I used to
    run up and down Sukhumvit but my wife put a stop to that sort of games
    when we got married :-)

    My computer is a DELL INSPIRON 6000 and has a built in WiFi which
    works well on shore - limited range though. The problem is, I believe,
    that as the lounge on the boat is below the water line and the top of
    the table is just about at sea level the built in won't connect (I
    can't blame it). With windows I use a D-Link receiver/transmitter with
    a built in amplifier about 20 feet up the mast connected to the
    computer with a standard USB cable. But Suse won't even recognize that
    there is an additional USB device connected, to say nothing of telling
    me what it is.... or I'm doing things wrong, which is very possible.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  6. Re: No Wi-Fi

    Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

    > The WiFi receiver/transmitter is a D-Link Rangebooster DWA-146. The
    > laptop, a DELL INSPERATION 6000, has an internal WiFi receiver however
    > when on board the boat it is not usable due, I believe, to the lounge
    > table being at approximately water level. The D-Link is mounted about
    > 20 ft. above the water and feeds the computer through a USB cable.

    If there are no native drivers available (and that seems to be the
    case), you can likely use the *hm* Windows drivers using ndiswrapper.

    For more information see: http://en.opensuse.org/Ndiswrapper_howto

    --
    Huibert
    "Hey! HEY! Curious cat, here!" -- Krosp I (GG)

  7. Re: No Wi-Fi

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:04:06 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 06:55:14 -0400, Guy Wilson
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    >>> I am using open Suse 11.0 on a Dell laptop.
    >>>
    >>> When at home, in Bangkok, using a DSL router/modem I have no problem
    >>> connecting to the I-net. However, when I am in Phuket there is only a
    >>> WiFi net connection available and as the WiFi receiver I use is
    >>> external and uses its own driver I cannot connect.
    >>>
    >>> I have not done any extensive research on this (just got back to
    >>> Phuket yesterday) but can anyone give me any pointers that might help,
    >>> or at least keep me from going down the wrong path? i.e., "the only
    >>> solution is to obtain linux drivers from the manufacturer or the whole
    >>> scheme is a bust" is a valid answer as it would keep me from doing
    >>> days of work only to fail in the end.
    >>>
    >>> Bruce-in-Bangkok
    >>> (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    >>Probably the first thing to do is identify the name and brand of the
    >>WiFi card you are using. Then people may be able to help. Are you
    >>connecting at home via LAN cable?
    >>
    >>Guy

    >Sure.
    >The WiFi receiver/transmitter is a D-Link Rangebooster DWA-146. The
    >laptop, a DELL INSPERATION 6000, has an internal WiFi receiver however
    >when on board the boat it is not usable due, I believe, to the lounge
    >table being at approximately water level. The D-Link is mounted about
    >20 ft. above the water and feeds the computer through a USB cable.
    >
    >Using Windows it is a matter of installing the D-Link supplied driver
    >and Bob's your uncle, but so far using Suse I can't even see that the
    >USB connection is recognized.
    >
    >Connection in Bangkok is through a direct connection to a DSL router
    >using normal ethernet protocols.
    >
    >Bruce-in-Bangkok
    >(correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    Correction to above - model is DWA-140, mia culpa.
    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  8. Re: No Wi-Fi

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:19:13 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:07:52 +1100, Polly the Parrot
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 07:53:25 +0700 Bruce in Bangkok
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am using open Suse 11.0 on a Dell laptop.
    >>>
    >>> When at home, in Bangkok, using a DSL router/modem I have no problem
    >>> connecting to the I-net. However, when I am in Phuket there is only a
    >>> WiFi net connection available and as the WiFi receiver I use is
    >>> external and uses its own driver I cannot connect.

    >>Bruce, I have a similar problem (well, perhaps not quite).
    >>
    >>I use an internal WiFi card on my Dell Precision M70 crap top brick.
    >>
    >>Could connect ok to WiFi at BKK airport lounges, but in the TG lounge at
    >>Dhaka no luck, when all the dorks around me using Windows could get on.
    >>Happens there every time.
    >>
    >>I use Suse 10.3.
    >>
    >>In another strange case, I connect to BiGPond WiFi in Australia at BigPond
    >>hot spots ($$) and sign in ok; trying to get my email from BigPond I get a
    >>"cannot connect" message, yet Google is ok for POP & SMTP, and I can browse
    >>the web. This is a constant issue.
    >>
    >>No such problem using a free BigPond connection in Qantas lounges in
    >>Oz. Nor my wireless at home.
    >>
    >>Strange ****!
    >>
    >>If you find the answer to your problem, do you mind posting?
    >>
    >>(PS Have I bumped into you in Sukumvit at all?)

    >I doubt that you have run into me on Sukhumvit as I pretty much stay
    >at home and play with the grand kids when I'm in Bangkok (I used to
    >run up and down Sukhumvit but my wife put a stop to that sort of games
    >when we got married :-)
    >
    >My computer is a DELL INSPIRON 6000 and has a built in WiFi which
    >works well on shore - limited range though. The problem is, I believe,
    >that as the lounge on the boat is below the water line and the top of
    >the table is just about at sea level the built in won't connect (I
    >can't blame it). With windows I use a D-Link receiver/transmitter with
    >a built in amplifier about 20 feet up the mast connected to the
    >computer with a standard USB cable. But Suse won't even recognize that
    >there is an additional USB device connected, to say nothing of telling
    >me what it is.... or I'm doing things wrong, which is very possible.
    >
    >Bruce-in-Bangkok
    >(correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    Subsequent to the above I have found that source code for a delta of
    the driver is available from D-Link. I now have to download the cc
    files for Suse and (hopefully) things will work.

    I installed "crossover" and loaded Forte' Agent - a nntp client -
    which seems, without accessing the Internet, to work. At least I can
    install it and configure it. Once I get the wireless system working I
    will be 90% free of Windows. Although I must admit that I have had
    very little difficulties using the later versions of Windows...

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  9. Re: No Wi-Fi

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 14:31:47 +0200, Huibert Bol
    wrote:

    >Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
    >
    >> The WiFi receiver/transmitter is a D-Link Rangebooster DWA-146. The
    >> laptop, a DELL INSPERATION 6000, has an internal WiFi receiver however
    >> when on board the boat it is not usable due, I believe, to the lounge
    >> table being at approximately water level. The D-Link is mounted about
    >> 20 ft. above the water and feeds the computer through a USB cable.

    >If there are no native drivers available (and that seems to be the
    >case), you can likely use the *hm* Windows drivers using ndiswrapper.
    >
    >For more information see: http://en.opensuse.org/Ndiswrapper_howto

    Thanks. It may come to that but, if possible, I'd like to use native
    Linux drivers although I don't really know whether they ARE better, or
    not.

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  10. Re: No Wi-Fi

    Bruce in Bangkok writes:

    >On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:07:52 +1100, Polly the Parrot
    > wrote:

    >>On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 07:53:25 +0700 Bruce in Bangkok
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am using open Suse 11.0 on a Dell laptop.
    >>>
    >>> When at home, in Bangkok, using a DSL router/modem I have no problem
    >>> connecting to the I-net. However, when I am in Phuket there is only a
    >>> WiFi net connection available and as the WiFi receiver I use is
    >>> external and uses its own driver I cannot connect.

    >>Bruce, I have a similar problem (well, perhaps not quite).
    >>
    >>I use an internal WiFi card on my Dell Precision M70 crap top brick.
    >>
    >>Could connect ok to WiFi at BKK airport lounges, but in the TG lounge at
    >>Dhaka no luck, when all the dorks around me using Windows could get on.
    >>Happens there every time.
    >>
    >>I use Suse 10.3.
    >>
    >>In another strange case, I connect to BiGPond WiFi in Australia at BigPond
    >>hot spots ($$) and sign in ok; trying to get my email from BigPond I get a
    >>"cannot connect" message, yet Google is ok for POP & SMTP, and I can browse
    >>the web. This is a constant issue.
    >>
    >>No such problem using a free BigPond connection in Qantas lounges in
    >>Oz. Nor my wireless at home.
    >>
    >>Strange ****!
    >>
    >>If you find the answer to your problem, do you mind posting?
    >>
    >>(PS Have I bumped into you in Sukumvit at all?)

    >I doubt that you have run into me on Sukhumvit as I pretty much stay
    >at home and play with the grand kids when I'm in Bangkok (I used to
    >run up and down Sukhumvit but my wife put a stop to that sort of games
    >when we got married :-)

    >My computer is a DELL INSPIRON 6000 and has a built in WiFi which
    >works well on shore - limited range though. The problem is, I believe,
    >that as the lounge on the boat is below the water line and the top of
    >the table is just about at sea level the built in won't connect (I
    >can't blame it). With windows I use a D-Link receiver/transmitter with
    >a built in amplifier about 20 feet up the mast connected to the
    >computer with a standard USB cable. But Suse won't even recognize that
    >there is an additional USB device connected, to say nothing of telling
    >me what it is.... or I'm doing things wrong, which is very possible.

    As root do
    lsusb
    and see if the device is seen.
    Then tell us what it is seen as.

    I have no idea if a usb wireless card is supported.

    >Bruce-in-Bangkok
    >(correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

  11. Re: No Wi-Fi

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:14:20 GMT, Unruh
    wrote:

    >Bruce in Bangkok writes:
    >
    >>On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:07:52 +1100, Polly the Parrot
    >> wrote:

    >>>Bruce, I have a similar problem (well, perhaps not quite).
    >>>
    >>>I use an internal WiFi card on my Dell Precision M70 crap top brick.
    >>>
    >>>Could connect ok to WiFi at BKK airport lounges, but in the TG lounge at
    >>>Dhaka no luck, when all the dorks around me using Windows could get on.
    >>>Happens there every time.
    >>>
    >>>I use Suse 10.3.
    >>>
    >>>In another strange case, I connect to BiGPond WiFi in Australia at BigPond
    >>>hot spots ($$) and sign in ok; trying to get my email from BigPond I get a
    >>>"cannot connect" message, yet Google is ok for POP & SMTP, and I can browse
    >>>the web. This is a constant issue.
    >>>
    >>>No such problem using a free BigPond connection in Qantas lounges in
    >>>Oz. Nor my wireless at home.
    >>>
    >>>Strange ****!
    >>>
    >>>If you find the answer to your problem, do you mind posting?
    >>>
    >>>(PS Have I bumped into you in Sukumvit at all?)

    >>I doubt that you have run into me on Sukhumvit as I pretty much stay
    >>at home and play with the grand kids when I'm in Bangkok (I used to
    >>run up and down Sukhumvit but my wife put a stop to that sort of games
    >>when we got married :-)

    >>My computer is a DELL INSPIRON 6000 and has a built in WiFi which
    >>works well on shore - limited range though. The problem is, I believe,
    >>that as the lounge on the boat is below the water line and the top of
    >>the table is just about at sea level the built in won't connect (I
    >>can't blame it). With windows I use a D-Link receiver/transmitter with
    >>a built in amplifier about 20 feet up the mast connected to the
    >>computer with a standard USB cable. But Suse won't even recognize that
    >>there is an additional USB device connected, to say nothing of telling
    >>me what it is.... or I'm doing things wrong, which is very possible.

    >As root do
    >lsusb
    >and see if the device is seen.
    >Then tell us what it is seen as.
    >
    >I have no idea if a usb wireless card is supported.

    I did and got "no such command"

    >>Bruce-in-Bangkok
    >>(correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    Bruce-in-Bangkok

  12. Re: No Wi-Fi

    Bruce in Bangkok writes:

    >On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:14:20 GMT, Unruh
    >wrote:

    >>Bruce in Bangkok writes:

    >>>I doubt that you have run into me on Sukhumvit as I pretty much stay
    >>>at home and play with the grand kids when I'm in Bangkok (I used to
    >>>run up and down Sukhumvit but my wife put a stop to that sort of games
    >>>when we got married :-)

    >>>My computer is a DELL INSPIRON 6000 and has a built in WiFi which
    >>>works well on shore - limited range though. The problem is, I believe,
    >>>that as the lounge on the boat is below the water line and the top of
    >>>the table is just about at sea level the built in won't connect (I
    >>>can't blame it). With windows I use a D-Link receiver/transmitter with
    >>>a built in amplifier about 20 feet up the mast connected to the
    >>>computer with a standard USB cable. But Suse won't even recognize that
    >>>there is an additional USB device connected, to say nothing of telling
    >>>me what it is.... or I'm doing things wrong, which is very possible.

    >>As root do
    >>lsusb
    >>and see if the device is seen.
    >>Then tell us what it is seen as.
    >>
    >>I have no idea if a usb wireless card is supported.
    >>

    >I did and got "no such command"

    /usr/sbin/lsusb

    Otherwise install usbutils

    >>>Bruce-in-Bangkok
    >>>(correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

    >Bruce-in-Bangkok
    >(correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

  13. Re: No Wi-Fi

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 02:24:29 GMT, Unruh
    wrote:

    >Bruce in Bangkok writes:
    >
    >>On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:14:20 GMT, Unruh
    >>wrote:

    >>>As root do
    >>>lsusb
    >>>and see if the device is seen.
    >>>Then tell us what it is seen as.
    >>>
    >>>I have no idea if a usb wireless card is supported.
    >>>

    >>I did and got "no such command"

    >/usr/sbin/lsusb
    >
    >Otherwise install usbutils

    O.K. On my installation trying lsusb as a user returns "no such
    command" but switching to SU it works. So now I can see the wi-fi
    adapter.

    Next is to locate a driver. D-Link has a "delta" driver that they say
    will probably work and I downloaded the source code. Now all I need to
    do is install the compiler and dependencies, which of course I can't
    do here as I have no communication from Linux.

    Most probably I will wait until I get back home to install it as I can
    then connect through my house LAN, get the goods and install the
    drivers and then test the wi-fi.

    My alternate plan is to use ndiswrapper and the Windows drivers but am
    not sure whether this is the best possible solution.

    Can anyone say, for certain, whether native Linux drivers are better
    or worse then a ndiswrapped windows driver? Or no difference?

    Bruce-in-Bangkok