DVD DMA on openSUSE 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on DVD DMA on openSUSE 11.0 - Suse ; I installed openSUSE 11.0 in a new partition. I solved other problems but not DMA setting for DVD. boot.msg ...... ata2.00: ATAPI: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-W162C, TS12, max UDMA/33 ata2.00: WARNING: ATAPI DMA disabled for reliablity issues. It can be enabled via ...

  1. DVD DMA on openSUSE 11.0

    I installed openSUSE 11.0 in a new partition. I solved other problems
    but not DMA setting for DVD.

    boot.msg
    <6>ata2.00: ATAPI: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-W162C, TS12, max UDMA/33
    <4>ata2.00: WARNING: ATAPI DMA disabled for reliablity issues. It can
    be enabled via pata_ali.atapi_dma modparam or corresponding sysfs node.
    <6>ata2.01: ATAPI: TSSTcorpDVD-ROM SH-D162C, TS05, max UDMA/33
    <4>ata2.01: WARNING: ATAPI DMA disabled for reliablity issues. It can
    be enabled via pata_ali.atapi_dma modparam or corresponding sysfs node.
    <6>ata2.00: configured for UDMA/33
    <6>ata2.01: configured for UDMA/33

    Playing DVD is jerkily.

    I tried "hdparm -d1 /dev/sr0" but don't works.

    DVD playback works fine on openSUSE 13.0 and XP

    How and where can I insert param? Have I to recompile kernel?

    Thanks for help

    Moterboard Asus P5RD1-V - Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS
    CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

  2. Re: DVD DMA on openSUSE 11.0

    Sixty wrote:

    > I installed openSUSE 11.0 in a new partition. I solved other problems
    > but not DMA setting for DVD.
    >
    > boot.msg
    > <6>ata2.00: ATAPI: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-W162C, TS12, max UDMA/33
    > <4>ata2.00: WARNING: ATAPI DMA disabled for reliablity issues. It can
    > be enabled via pata_ali.atapi_dma modparam or corresponding sysfs node.
    > <6>ata2.01: ATAPI: TSSTcorpDVD-ROM SH-D162C, TS05, max UDMA/33
    > <4>ata2.01: WARNING: ATAPI DMA disabled for reliablity issues. It can
    > be enabled via pata_ali.atapi_dma modparam or corresponding sysfs node.
    > <6>ata2.00: configured for UDMA/33
    > <6>ata2.01: configured for UDMA/33

    > Playing DVD is jerkily.
    >

    > I tried "hdparm -d1 /dev/sr0" but don't works.
    >
    > DVD playback works fine on openSUSE 13.0 and XP
    >
    > How and where can I insert param? Have I to recompile kernel?
    >
    > Thanks for help
    >

    > Moterboard Asus P5RD1-V - Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS
    > CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

    Probably due to reduced support caused by intellectual property rights.
    Until there are legal changes or a company pays for those rights for a
    distribution (and has to charge you for it) it will remain illegal in some
    places to use DVD, mp3, wmf, etc. The only company I know of that has some
    of it available for their distribution is the one that started out as
    LWindows. I don't care for other things about their distribution,
    particularily the requirement to run like Windows, with automatic root
    priveleges for the normal user, making it as almost as susceptible as
    Windows for viruses.

  3. Re: DVD DMA on openSUSE 11.0

    Sixty wrote:

    > I installed openSUSE 11.0 in a new partition. I solved other problems
    > but not DMA setting for DVD.
    >
    > boot.msg
    > <6>ata2.00: ATAPI: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-W162C, TS12, max UDMA/33
    > <4>ata2.00: WARNING: ATAPI DMA disabled for reliablity issues. It can
    > be enabled via pata_ali.atapi_dma modparam or corresponding sysfs node.
    > <6>ata2.01: ATAPI: TSSTcorpDVD-ROM SH-D162C, TS05, max UDMA/33
    > <4>ata2.01: WARNING: ATAPI DMA disabled for reliablity issues. It can
    > be enabled via pata_ali.atapi_dma modparam or corresponding sysfs node.
    > <6>ata2.00: configured for UDMA/33
    > <6>ata2.01: configured for UDMA/33

    > Playing DVD is jerkily.
    >

    > I tried "hdparm -d1 /dev/sr0" but don't works.
    >
    > DVD playback works fine on openSUSE 13.0 and XP
    >
    > How and where can I insert param? Have I to recompile kernel?
    >
    > Thanks for help
    >

    > Moterboard Asus P5RD1-V - Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS
    > CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

    go here and try this
    http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/...0-dma-dvd.html

  4. Re: DVD DMA on openSUSE 11.0

    darklight ha scritto:
    > Sixty wrote:
    >
    >> I installed openSUSE 11.0 in a new partition. I solved other problems
    >> but not DMA setting for DVD.
    >>
    >> boot.msg

    > go here and try this
    > http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/...0-dma-dvd.html

    Thanks you for the answer.

    I installed openSUSE 11.1 beta3 from the factory repo and the problem
    was solved. I will wait for the 11.1 release.

    Bye

  5. Re: DVD DMA on openSUSE 11.0

    John Bowling turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    >> Moterboard Asus P5RD1-V - Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS
    >> CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

    > Probably due to reduced support caused by intellectual property rights.
    > Until there are legal changes or a company pays for those rights for a
    > distribution (and has to charge you for it) it will remain illegal in some
    > places to use DVD, mp3, wmf, etc.

    The OP has an issue with DMA, which is a memory issue, not a formating
    one.

    government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and
    statutes and 1% logic

+ Reply to Thread