Cannot login... - Suse

This is a discussion on Cannot login... - Suse ; Hi! I feel a bit stupid, but I added something to my .bashrc file and now it is impossible for me to login since I have selected auto login as default (I am the sole user) and the session seems ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cannot login...

  1. Cannot login...

    Hi!

    I feel a bit stupid, but I added something to my .bashrc file and now
    it is impossible for me to login since I have selected auto login as
    default (I am the sole user) and the session seems to hang when
    executing the .bashrc file. How can I switch off auto login at boot
    time (or start console mode without and login as root) and get access
    to my .bashrc file so that I can edit it?

    Carl

  2. Re: Cannot login...

    care02@gmail.com wrote:

    > I feel a bit stupid, but I added something to my .bashrc file and now
    > it is impossible for me to login since I have selected auto login as
    > default (I am the sole user) and the session seems to hang when
    > executing the .bashrc file. How can I switch off auto login at boot
    > time (or start console mode without and login as root) and get access
    > to my .bashrc file so that I can edit it?


    ctrl+alt+F1 then you come in konsole

    open yast from konsole: sudo /sbin/yast2
    then go to security & users - users --> advanced - login options
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...kersbeheer.png
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.10 / openSUSE 11.0

  3. Re: Cannot login...

    EOS wrote:
    > http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...kersbeheer.png


    Making the things unreadable is security through obscurity, unless they
    are rude words. ;-)

    Just kidding.

    houghi
    --
    This was written under the influence of the following:
    | Artist : Vaya Con Dios
    | Song : Don't cry for Louie
    | Album : Vaya Con Dios

  4. Re: Cannot login...

    EOS wrote:
    > care02@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I feel a bit stupid, but I added something to my .bashrc file and now
    >> it is impossible for me to login since I have selected auto login as
    >> default (I am the sole user) and the session seems to hang when
    >> executing the .bashrc file. How can I switch off auto login at boot
    >> time (or start console mode without and login as root) and get access
    >> to my .bashrc file so that I can edit it?

    >
    > ctrl+alt+F1 then you come in konsole
    >
    > open yast from konsole: sudo /sbin/yast2
    > then go to security & users - users --> advanced - login options
    > http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...kersbeheer.png



    i'm NOT sure, but does that presuppose the possibility to actually USE
    ctrl+alt+F1 exists?

    i mean, if (as he says) the boot sequence HANGS prior to completing, it could be
    that the keyboard is inop and/or something else might preclude switching to a
    terminal..

    so, i'd suggest he (from a cold machine):

    - hit the power button
    - watch the BIOS info flash by
    - when the FIRST boot splash comes up (offering to boot to SUSE (and maybe other
    things)) type the single number 3 and, then hit enter..
    - which will cause a boot to run level 3 command line where he can:
    - sign in as root (and avoid all possibility of using the corrupt .bashrc)
    - launch the terminal editor of his choice (vi vim mc etc etc etc etc)
    - nav/drive it to /home/[a bit stupid]/.bashrc and do the repairs..

    OR, if he did what i usually do he won't even have to fiddle with an editor,
    instead just log in as self and copy the previously working backup of .bashrc
    over the corrupt one:


    cp /home/[a bit stupid]/.bashrc /home/[a bit stupid]/.bashrc.STUPID[date.time]
    cp /home/[a bit stupid]/.bashrc.BAK[date.time] /home/[a bit stupid]/.bashrc
    chown [a bit stupid] /home/[a bit stupid]/.bash*
    init 5

    then (from the comfort of a friendly GUI) take a good long look at
    ..bashrc.STUPID and figure out what went wrong, and why...fix it and try again..

    --
    see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE 3.5.7, SUSE Linux
    10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  5. Re: Cannot login...

    DenverD wrote:
    > i'm NOT sure, but does that presuppose the possibility to actually USE
    > ctrl+alt+F1 exists?


    Yes.

    > i mean, if (as he says) the boot sequence HANGS prior to completing, it could be
    > that the keyboard is inop and/or something else might preclude switching to a
    > terminal..


    That could be, but it is with a try. Also 'hangs' could just mean he
    does not see anything.

    > so, i'd suggest he (from a cold machine):
    >
    > - hit the power button


    Because of this, I would advice using the CTRL+ALT+F1 first. A hard
    reboot could cause your HDs to show up with an error and then you need
    to repair that first, which could require much more knowledge then just
    the reset of the .bashrc


    > OR, if he did what i usually do he won't even have to fiddle with an editor,
    > instead just log in as self and copy the previously working backup of .bashrc
    > over the corrupt one:


    And everybody HAS a working backup, because they do incremential
    backups, right? ;-) This is why it is importand to not just have a copy
    of your data, but incremetial backups. Imagine the following scenario.

    1) You log in
    2) You screw up the ~/.bashrc
    3) You backup takes place and makes a copy of the broken bashrc
    overwriting the previous good one
    4) You log out
    5) You want to login, notice the bashrc is broken and now you only have
    the broken ~/.bashrc as backup
    6) You get into problems and start drinking out of frustration
    7) You loose your job, house and family over this
    8) You end up living under a bridge
    9) Because people laugh at you for being the hobo not to use
    incremenatial beackup, you start a killing spree
    10) If your country does not have the death penalty, it will change the
    laws, just so you can be put up on it.
    11) Demonstrators against the death penalty go from protesters into
    terrorist and hide in a neighbouring country
    12) You country attacks the other country
    13) The friends of THAT country attack you
    14) If atomic powers are not already involved, they will
    15) Somebody drops the bomb and others retaliate
    16) Global thermonuclear war
    17) Termination of life on earth

    I mean, it could happen

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.


  6. Re: Cannot login...

    houghi wrote:
    > DenverD wrote:
    >> i'm NOT sure, but does that presuppose the possibility to actually USE
    >> ctrl+alt+F1 exists?

    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >> i mean, if (as he says) the boot sequence HANGS prior to completing, it could be
    >> that the keyboard is inop and/or something else might preclude switching to a
    >> terminal..

    >
    > That could be, but it is with a try. Also 'hangs' could just mean he
    > does not see anything.
    >
    >> so, i'd suggest he (from a cold machine):
    >>
    >> - hit the power button

    >
    > Because of this, I would advice using the CTRL+ALT+F1 first. A hard
    > reboot could cause your HDs to show up with an error and then you need
    > to repair that first, which could require much more knowledge then just
    > the reset of the .bashrc
    >


    but you failed to read: "from a cold machine", that is one which is NOT
    running...perhaps instead of "hit the power button" i should have said:

    - turn the machine on (otherwise none of this will work)


    >
    >
    >> OR, if he did what i usually do he won't even have to fiddle with an editor,
    >> instead just log in as self and copy the previously working backup of .bashrc
    >> over the corrupt one:

    >
    > And everybody HAS a working backup, because they do incremential
    > backups, right? ;-)



    actually, i was speaking of *my* long running habit to make a copy of the
    working file BEFORE making any edits....which should not be confused with a
    'backup' either full or incremental....

    of course i do forget, but not often--otherwise STEP ONE of making system edits
    for me is to make a copy of the file i'm about to change, for example

    1. cp /[full path]/workingFile /[full path]/workingFile.BAK2008.10.19.1335

    then (with my newly learned info

    2. vim /[full path]/workingFile
    3. edit and save
    4. try it, if broke copy workingFile.BAK[blah] over workingFile and start
    over...(or, of course: edit the now brokenFile in place, knowing you HAVE a good
    workingFile.BAK)

    well, that is the way i've been doing it since i learned screwed up an
    autoexec.bat in M$-DOS 4 (or 3)..


    > 17) Termination of life on earth
    >
    > I mean, it could happen


    absolutely, one cannot be too careful when editing system files!!

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE 3.5.7, SUSE Linux
    10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  7. Re: Cannot login...

    DenverD wrote:
    >> And everybody HAS a working backup, because they do incremential
    >> backups, right? ;-)

    >
    >
    > actually, i was speaking of *my* long running habit to make a copy of the
    > working file BEFORE making any edits....which should not be confused with a
    > 'backup' either full or incremental....


    OK.

    > of course i do forget, but not often--otherwise STEP ONE of making system edits
    > for me is to make a copy of the file i'm about to change, for example


    And because I also would forget, I have an automated system to backup
    files and do it incremential.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.


  8. Re: Cannot login...

    houghi wrote:

    > DenverD wrote:
    >>> And everybody HAS a working backup, because they do incremential
    >>> backups, right? ;-)

    >>
    >>
    >> actually, i was speaking of *my* long running habit to make a copy of the
    >> working file BEFORE making any edits....which should not be confused with
    >> a 'backup' either full or incremental....

    >
    > OK.
    >
    >> of course i do forget, but not often--otherwise STEP ONE of making system
    >> edits for me is to make a copy of the file i'm about to change, for
    >> example

    >
    > And because I also would forget, I have an automated system to backup
    > files and do it incremential.
    >
    > houghi


    Houghi, I know you have mentioned what backup software you use, but I don't
    remember it and now have a local server to back up to, so now it's time for
    me to actually do it.

    The one area that is still a concern is my roomates don't want to give up
    Win-dribble and they want me to find a program for them to use. I checked
    and found simplebackup, but it's script only and they don't want to deal
    with that (just like I don't want to deal with lost-dows).

    Got any suggestions?
    Thanks, John

  9. Re: Cannot login...

    John Bowling wrote:
    > Houghi, I know you have mentioned what backup software you use, but I don't
    > remember it and now have a local server to back up to, so now it's time for
    > me to actually do it.


    storeBackup http://www.nongnu.org/storebackup/

    > The one area that is still a concern is my roomates don't want to give up
    > Win-dribble and they want me to find a program for them to use. I checked
    > and found simplebackup, but it's script only and they don't want to deal
    > with that (just like I don't want to deal with lost-dows).
    >
    > Got any suggestions?


    A backup MUST be CLI in my eyes. If the GUI is the problem, then you are
    out of luck. And I would say, you use it and if they don't want to, that
    is their problem, not yours.

    If they put you in charge of doing te backup, you do the backup. They
    tell you what directories and that is about it. You then use whatever
    tool _you_ desire.

    Restoring data should be doabnle by just doing a copy with whatever tool
    they desire.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi