mysql in openSuse 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on mysql in openSuse 11.0 - Suse ; Guys, I wanna know how to start mysqld at startup. I tried many things in the internet but no good happaned. Any wizard idea?...

  1. mysql in openSuse 11.0

    Guys,
    I wanna know how to start mysqld at startup. I tried many things in
    the internet but no good happaned. Any wizard idea?

  2. Re: mysql in openSuse 11.0

    vishvaya wrote:

    > Guys,
    > I wanna know how to start mysqld at startup. I tried many things in
    > the internet but no good happaned. Any wizard idea?

    -> Yast -> System -> Runlevel Editor -> Click on 'mysql' to highlight it
    (turns blue) then click 'Enable'. If it starts you'll get an o.k. Then
    press 'Finish' to save the change... Nows it will start automagically each
    time you log in.

  3. Re: mysql in openSuse 11.0

    On 2008-10-18, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > vishvaya wrote:
    >
    >> Guys,
    >> I wanna know how to start mysqld at startup. I tried many things in
    >> the internet but no good happaned. Any wizard idea?

    > -> Yast -> System -> Runlevel Editor -> Click on 'mysql' to highlight it
    > (turns blue) then click 'Enable'. If it starts you'll get an o.k. Then
    > press 'Finish' to save the change... Nows it will start automagically each
    > time you log in.

    When MySQL is enabled there (normally runlevels 3 and 5) it will start
    automatically at boot, you don't need to log in any users

    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "There will come a time when every evil

  4. Re: mysql in openSuse 11.0

    On Oct 18, 3:39*pm, Vahis wrote:
    > On 2008-10-18, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    > > vishvaya wrote:

    > >> Guys,
    > >> I wanna know how to start mysqld at startup. I tried many things in
    > >> the internet but no good happaned. Any wizard idea?

    > > -> Yast -> System -> Runlevel Editor -> Click on 'mysql' to highlight it
    > > (turns blue) then click 'Enable'. *If it starts you'll get an o.k. *Then
    > > press 'Finish' to save the change... *Nows it will start automagically each
    > > time you log in.

    > When MySQL is enabled there (normally runlevels 3 and 5) it will start
    > automatically at boot, you don't need to log in any users
    >
    > --http://waxborg.servepics.com
    > "There will come a time when every evil
    > *That we know will be an evil...
    > *That we can rise above" - Frank Zappa

    Thanks guys,
    It worked well.. I'm new to linux and still in kindergarten. But I'm
    starting to love it....
    Vishvaya

  5. Re: mysql in openSuse 11.0

    vishvaya wrote:

    > Guys,
    > I wanna know how to start mysqld at startup. I tried many things in
    > the internet but no good happaned. Any wizard idea?

    There is a way from a command line (as root or su), provided it has been
    installed:

    to auto start on boot:
    chkconfig mysql on

    to start now:
    rcmysql start

    to stop now:
    rcmysql stop

    These will work for most programs by substituting mysql with the program
    name. Some programs also allow restart to read in a new config file.

    One thing with mysql is that the lengthy message it gives you on the first
    startup will not repeat, so make sure you set up the root passwords
    accuratly. Don't use the system root for safety. The mysql password will
    most likely show up in script files that are not encrypted!

    And the line about localhost always fails when you type it in as they show
    it, but that isn't nessesary to for mysql to work properly.

    John

+ Reply to Thread