how to find/load Linux drivers for Intel motherboards? - Suse

This is a discussion on how to find/load Linux drivers for Intel motherboards? - Suse ; Hello, I'm new to Linux. I bought a Dual Core Intel based PC with Windows pre-installed. I re-formatted the hard disk with OpenSUSE version 11. The installation went smoothly. I rebooted, and can log in the KDE 4.0 environment. I ...

  1. how to find/load Linux drivers for Intel motherboards?

    Hello,

    I'm new to Linux. I bought a Dual Core Intel based PC with Windows
    pre-installed.
    I re-formatted the hard disk with OpenSUSE version 11. The
    installation went smoothly.
    I rebooted, and can log in the KDE 4.0 environment.

    I noticed the graphics doesn't seem right. I also notice the NIC card
    is not recognized either.
    The mother board is Intel D945GCNL series. I went to the Intel
    website, and saw that
    only Windows drivers are available for that motherboard.

    Does this mean that OpenSUSE v. 11 will not work with this
    motherboard?

    If it will work, then, what do I need to do so that the onboard
    graphics card, onboard LAN, etc. for this motherboard
    will run with OpenSUSE version 11? Thanks.

  2. Re: how to find/load Linux drivers for Intel motherboards?

    Michelle wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm new to Linux. I bought a Dual Core Intel based PC with Windows
    > pre-installed.
    > I re-formatted the hard disk with OpenSUSE version 11. The
    > installation went smoothly.
    > I rebooted, and can log in the KDE 4.0 environment.
    >
    > I noticed the graphics doesn't seem right. I also notice the NIC card
    > is not recognized either.
    > The mother board is Intel D945GCNL series. I went to the Intel
    > website, and saw that
    > only Windows drivers are available for that motherboard.
    >
    > Does this mean that OpenSUSE v. 11 will not work with this
    > motherboard?
    >
    > If it will work, then, what do I need to do so that the onboard
    > graphics card, onboard LAN, etc. for this motherboard
    > will run with OpenSUSE version 11? Thanks.

    Yes, you are new to Linux. You do not need to download drivers. They're
    included with the OS. To set up your hardware to run correctly you'll need
    to use Yast. For the graphics card, which obviously is working, just not
    the way you expect it to, go to -> Yast -> Hardware -> 'Graphics Card and
    Monitor' and try adjusting the settings.. For the lan card use Yast but go
    to 'Network Devices' -> Network Card' and set it up. You may also
    (under 'Network Devices') go to 'DSL' to set up your ISP's login
    information.

    Try to do these things and let us know how it works. When doing the video
    part remember that if the settings don't work do 'ctrl + alt + backspace'
    TWICE quickly !!! to get out of the test settings and return to the default
    settings...

    P.S. It is extremely rare to need to download ANY drivers for Linux as
    everything is included already...

    Good luck.

    P.S.#2. If you are still having problems than post your results and we will
    tell you where to get log files for further attempts and so we're not just
    guessing as to what is going on....

+ Reply to Thread