New Vuze 4.0 uses a lot of CPU - Suse

This is a discussion on New Vuze 4.0 uses a lot of CPU - Suse ; I guess this is not much SUSE related, but still, this happens in an openSUSE system of mine and I'm wondering The new Vuze 4.0 from Packman is eating up cycles like almost never before. I've been running Vuze (and ...

  1. New Vuze 4.0 uses a lot of CPU

    I guess this is not much SUSE related, but still, this happens in an
    openSUSE system of mine and I'm wondering

    The new Vuze 4.0 from Packman is eating up cycles like almost never
    before.

    I've been running Vuze (and Azureus before that) practically 24/7 for
    maybe a couple of years.

    Since building my current machine (Q6600 quad core)
    the system has been showing idle (top) like 97 % almost at any given
    time while running like 2 to 5 torrents in Vuze.

    This has been with several versions before the current one.

    The CPU load (top/java) has been like 3% of the whole.
    The CPU core temps have been like 37-38 Celsius.

    After upgrading to Vuze 4.0 today and restarting it the idle time
    dropped to like 70 -75 % and cores show temps of 45 to 47 Celsius.

    Each core shows loads of 10% to 100%, varying constantly and the total
    load keeps somewhere around 20 to 25% of the whole.

    So the cores do a lot more work and the temps rise accordingly.
    Vuze is using 80% of one core or 20 % of the total at any given time.

    There have been versions eating CPU like this before, but then later
    maybe with the next version or so, it has always come back to normal.

    It can be the case also this time, of course.

    It looks like Packman is launching a new version (they call them betas)
    circa every week and there are normally minor changes, most of the time
    I haven't seen any difference.

    I'm just curious, why would a Java application use suddenly much more
    cycles in a new version?

    The Java is the same so it must be the Azureus code.

    I wonder if someone knows of a group or forum to discuss this.
    It feels kinda tricky since this Vuze is not from Vuze but from Packman.

    Any ideas? Just on common level, I know nothing about programming, like
    I said, just curious
    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "There will come a time when every evil

  2. Re: New Vuze 4.0 uses a lot of CPU

    On 2008-10-17, Vahis wrote:
    > I guess this is not much SUSE related, but still, this happens in an
    > openSUSE system of mine and I'm wondering
    >
    > The new Vuze 4.0 from Packman is eating up cycles like almost never
    > before.
    >
    > I've been running Vuze (and Azureus before that) practically 24/7 for
    > maybe a couple of years.
    >
    > Since building my current machine (Q6600 quad core)
    > the system has been showing idle (top) like 97 % almost at any given
    > time while running like 2 to 5 torrents in Vuze.
    >
    > This has been with several versions before the current one.

    I thought I'll put Vuze aside until the next version from Packman.
    To see when and how that would change with the next versions.

    I started running Ktorrent. To my surprise the default one on my
    system is version 3 that uses KDE4.

    And I never installed KDE4!

    Anyway, I was back to normal, CPU 97-98% idle.
    Core temps were also back to normal, 35-36 Celsius.

    Then there was a new version in the Packman repo which I installed.

    That one was as bad a hog as the latest Vuze.
    I ran it a couple of days, it was consuming 120 to 140%,
    or over 30% of all.

    And, of course, temps went up 10 degrees Celsius again.

    Today there was a new version again and now it's been running several
    hours, load being 2%, temps down again.

    The job they all do is the same, in all versions.
    They all work alike, just the loads are normal or extremely higher, as
    are the temps, of course.

    I don't get this.

    What I also don't understand, while Vuze 4 is out from original vendor,
    Packman keeps pushing versions they call betas.
    They've been doing this thru versions 2 and 3, too.

    Just wondering...
    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "There will come a time when every evil