ndiswrapper and wireless card - Suse

This is a discussion on ndiswrapper and wireless card - Suse ; Hi, I am currently going through a how to for using my windows wireless card with openSUSE. I have one question though. When I type in the terminal 'ndiswrapper -i' it tells me the command is not found. But in ...

  1. ndiswrapper and wireless card

    Hi,

    I am currently going through a how to for using my windows wireless
    card with openSUSE. I have one question though. When I type in the
    terminal 'ndiswrapper -i' it tells me the command is not found. But
    in YaST it tells me that its installed. Am I doing something wrong?
    Same thing with iwconfig. It tells me 'Command not found'. Seems
    strange...

  2. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:00:24 -0700 (PDT)
    nouveauricheinvestments@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am currently going through a how to for using my windows wireless
    >card with openSUSE. I have one question though. When I type in the
    >terminal 'ndiswrapper -i' it tells me the command is not found. But
    >in YaST it tells me that its installed. Am I doing something wrong?
    >Same thing with iwconfig. It tells me 'Command not found'. Seems
    >strange...

    Are you root when you try those commands?

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.16-0.1-pae
    7:02pm up 26 days 0:04, 18 users, load average: 0.26, 0.35, 0.41

  3. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    On Oct 16, 8:03*pm, Kevin Nathan wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:00:24 -0700 (PDT)
    >
    > nouveauricheinvestme...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >Hi,

    > >I am currently going through a how to for using my windows wireless
    > >card with openSUSE. *I have one question though. *When I type in the
    > >terminal 'ndiswrapper -i' it tells me the command is not found. *But
    > >in YaST it tells me that its installed. *Am I doing something wrong?
    > >Same thing with iwconfig. *It tells me 'Command not found'. *Seems
    > >strange...

    > Are you root when you try those commands?
    >
    > --
    > Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA) *
    > Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)
    >
    > Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    > The command line is the front line.
    > Linux 2.6.25.16-0.1-pae
    > * 7:02pm *up 26 days *0:04, *18 users, *load average: 0.26, 0.35, 0.41

    I type the following:

    sudo ndiswrapper -i

    It asks me for the password, which I put in. Then it tells me the
    following:

    sudo: ndiswrapper: command not found

    I just tried sudo lspci and it is doing the same...

  4. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
    nouveauricheinvestments@gmail.com wrote:

    >I type the following:
    >
    >sudo ndiswrapper -i
    >
    >It asks me for the password, which I put in. Then it tells me the
    >following:
    >
    >sudo: ndiswrapper: command not found
    >
    >I just tried sudo lspci and it is doing the same...

    My guess is that the sudoers file is not yet setup for this. Try this,
    instead:

    su -
    ndiswrapper -i
    exit

    When you switch to root this way, be very *sure* to run the 'exit'
    command after you are finished.

    If you want to setup the sudoers file, it is in YaST -> Security and
    Users -> Sudo -- but make sure you know what you are doing in there!
    It's been a while since I've messed with sudo and the sudoers file, so
    hopefully someone else can help you with this part.

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.16-0.1-pae
    7:23pm up 26 days 0:24, 19 users, load average: 0.47, 0.29, 0.29

  5. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    On Oct 16, 8:30*pm, Kevin Nathan wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
    >
    > nouveauricheinvestme...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >I type the following:

    > >sudo ndiswrapper -i

    > >It asks me for the password, which I put in. *Then it tells me the
    > >following:

    > >sudo: ndiswrapper: command not found

    > >I just tried sudo lspci and it is doing the same...

    > My guess is that the sudoers file is not yet setup for this. Try this,
    > instead:
    >
    > * *su -
    > * *ndiswrapper -i
    > * *exit
    >
    > When you switch to root this way, be very *sure* to run the 'exit'
    > command after you are finished.
    >
    > If you want to setup the sudoers file, it is in YaST -> Security and
    > Users -> Sudo -- but make sure you know what you are doing in there!
    > It's been a while since I've messed with sudo and the sudoers file, so
    > hopefully someone else can help you with this part.
    >
    > --
    > Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA) *
    > Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)
    >
    > Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    > The command line is the front line.
    > Linux 2.6.25.16-0.1-pae
    > * 7:23pm *up 26 days *0:24, *19 users, *load average: 0.47, 0.29, 0.29

    okay cool...Thank you for the direction...I have a feeling this is
    going to be no easy task to get my windows driver working on here...I
    was messing with it forever with ubuntu and then decided I wanted to
    start over but with openSUSE. I have the same OS as you do so yeah.

  6. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    On Oct 16, 8:34*pm, nouveauricheinvestme...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 16, 8:30*pm, Kevin Nathan wrote:
    >

    > > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:15:53 -0700 (PDT)

    > > nouveauricheinvestme...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > >I type the following:

    > > >sudo ndiswrapper -i

    > > >It asks me for the password, which I put in. *Then it tells me the
    > > >following:

    > > >sudo: ndiswrapper: command not found

    > > >I just tried sudo lspci and it is doing the same...

    > > My guess is that the sudoers file is not yet setup for this. Try this,
    > > instead:

    > > * *su -
    > > * *ndiswrapper -i
    > > * *exit

    > > When you switch to root this way, be very *sure* to run the 'exit'
    > > command after you are finished.

    > > If you want to setup the sudoers file, it is in YaST -> Security and
    > > Users -> Sudo -- but make sure you know what you are doing in there!
    > > It's been a while since I've messed with sudo and the sudoers file, so
    > > hopefully someone else can help you with this part.

    > > --
    > > Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA) *
    > > Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

    > > Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    > > The command line is the front line.
    > > Linux 2.6.25.16-0.1-pae
    > > * 7:23pm *up 26 days *0:24, *19 users, *load average: 0.47, 0..29, 0.29

    > okay cool...Thank you for the direction...I have a feeling this is
    > going to be no easy task to get my windows driver working on here...I
    > was messing with it forever with ubuntu and then decided I wanted to
    > start over but with openSUSE. *I have the same OS as you do so yeah.

    Yeah I opened up the Sudo Configuration to take a look. I will worry
    about that later. Just as long as I can use the terminal as root I
    can figure out how to get my wireless working..

  7. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:34:07 -0700 (PDT)
    nouveauricheinvestments@gmail.com wrote:

    >okay cool...Thank you for the direction...I have a feeling this is
    >going to be no easy task to get my windows driver working on here...I
    >was messing with it forever with ubuntu and then decided I wanted to
    >start over but with openSUSE. I have the same OS as you do so yeah.

    There was only one time when I tried using Windows drivers under
    ndiswrapper (some years ago, now) and I remember the directions being
    pretty accurate -- but I have no clue how good they are now. Good
    luck! :-)

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.16-0.1-pae
    8:14pm up 26 days 1:15, 19 users, load average: 0.52, 0.45, 0.93

  8. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    nouveauricheinvestments@gmail.com writes:

    >Hi,

    >I am currently going through a how to for using my windows wireless
    >card with openSUSE. I have one question though. When I type in the
    >terminal 'ndiswrapper -i' it tells me the command is not found. But
    >in YaST it tells me that its installed. Am I doing something wrong?
    >Same thing with iwconfig. It tells me 'Command not found'. Seems
    >strange...

    You must be root to run those commands. They are both in /usr/sbin and that
    is not in your user path.
    ls /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
    should show it to you.

  9. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    nouveauricheinvestments@gmail.com wrote:
    > I type the following:
    >
    > sudo ndiswrapper -i
    >
    > It asks me for the password, which I put in. Then it tells me the
    > following:
    >
    > sudo: ndiswrapper: command not found
    >
    > I just tried sudo lspci and it is doing the same...

    You already found a solution, so here not so much how, but why.

    This is expected behaviour. sudo gives you the same *rights* as root. It
    does not *make* you root. This means that your $PATH will not change.

    $PATH are the directories where Linux will look for programs.
    if you do `echo $PATH` you will see the following:
    houghi@pasta : echo $PATH
    /home/houghi/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:
    root@pasta:~ # echo $PATH
    /sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin:

    DO NOT CHANGE THIS. Do not think to be a smart person and add things to
    it unless you know what you are doing, but then you would not have asked
    this question. DO NOT CHANGE THIS.

    OK, that was the warning. On with the rest.

    ndiswrapper is located at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper and this means it is not
    in the users $PATH, but only in the roots $PATH.

    So if you want to use it with sudo, you need to give the full pathname
    for the command:
    sudo /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i

    That will work.

    To see if a command is in your $PATH, just do:
    houghi@pasta : which ndiswarapper
    which: no ndiswarapper in (/home/houghi/bin:

    To see where a command is located, I use pin. e.g.
    `pin ndiswarapper` I add the bin/, so it will weed out a lot that I
    am not interested in and programs will have that as some part of their
    name anyway.
    To me the advantage of using pin over rpm is that pin also looks at the
    some of the non-installed programs (and that is how I know where
    ndiswarpper is as I do not have it installed myself)

    So to recap: sudo gives you rights, but it does not make you anything.
    To do that use `su -` and not even su.
    houghi@pasta : su root
    Password:
    pasta:/home/houghi # echo $PATH
    /home/houghi/bin:/usr/local/bin:
    pasta:/home/houghi # exit
    You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/houghi
    [~]
    houghi@pasta : su - root
    Password:
    pasta:~ # echo $PATH
    /sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin:

    houghi
    --

    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
    Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and

  10. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    On 2008-10-17 10:39, houghi wrote:

    > So to recap: sudo gives you rights, but it does not make you anything.
    > To do that use `su -` and not even su.
    > houghi@pasta : su root
    > Password:
    > pasta:/home/houghi # echo $PATH
    > /home/houghi/bin:/usr/local/bin:
    > pasta:/home/houghi # exit
    > You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/houghi
    > [~]
    > houghi@pasta : su - root
    > Password:
    > pasta:~ # echo $PATH
    > /sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin:
    >

    > houghi

    Not only that, also $HOME is set to the user with sudo su,
    while it's set to /root if one do sudo su -
    So root commands can read the wrong dot files.

    /bb

  11. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    bb wrote:
    > Not only that, also $HOME is set to the user with sudo su,
    > while it's set to /root if one do sudo su -
    > So root commands can read the wrong dot files.

    Indeed. While we are at `su -`: I am happy that sux and `sux -` is not
    needed anymore.

    houghi
    | Artist : Henny Vrienten
    | Song : Blij en bang
    | Album : Mijn Hart Slaapt Nooit

  12. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    On Oct 17, 3:30 am, houghi wrote:
    > bb wrote:
    > > Not only that, also $HOME is set to the user with sudo su,
    > > while it's set to /root if one do sudo su -
    > > So root commands can read the wrong dot files.

    > Indeed. While we are at `su -`: I am happy that sux and `sux -` is not
    > needed anymore.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > This was written under the influence of the following:
    > | Artist : Henny Vrienten
    > | Song : Blij en bang
    > | Album : Mijn Hart Slaapt Nooit

    pin does not work. It says....

    bash: pin: command not found

  13. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    nouveauricheinvestments@gmail.com wrote:
    > pin does not work. It says....
    >
    > bash: pin: command not found

    That is because pin is not installed.

    houghi
    | Artist : Rabauken
    | Song : hey, mein freund
    | Album : hey mein freund

  14. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    nouveauricheinvestments@gmail.com turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am currently going through a how to for using my windows wireless
    > card with openSUSE. I have one question though. When I type in the
    > terminal 'ndiswrapper -i' it tells me the command is not found. But
    > in YaST it tells me that its installed. Am I doing something wrong?
    > Same thing with iwconfig. It tells me 'Command not found'. Seems
    > strange...

    It is because your local user account doesn't have the folders in the path.
    Root does.

    See below:

    kai@xwing:~> iwconfig
    bash: iwconfig: command not found

    NOW I SWITCH TO ROOT AND RE-RUN

    kai@xwing:~> su
    Password:
    xwing:/home/kai # iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    cipsec0 no wireless extensions.

    vmnet1 no wireless extensions.

    vmnet8 no wireless extensions.

    government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and
    statutes and 1% logic

  15. Re: ndiswrapper and wireless card

    On Oct 17, 3:36*pm, PerfectReign wrote:
    > nouveauricheinvestme...@gmail.com turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I am currently going through a how to for using my windows wireless
    > > card with openSUSE. *I have one question though. *When I type in the
    > > terminal 'ndiswrapper -i' it tells me the command is not found. *But
    > > in YaST it tells me that its installed. *Am I doing something wrong?
    > > Same thing with iwconfig. *It tells me 'Command not found'. *Seems
    > > strange...

    > It is because your local user account doesn't have the folders in the path.
    > Root does.
    >
    > See below:
    >
    > kai@xwing:~> iwconfig
    > bash: iwconfig: command not found
    >
    > NOW I SWITCH TO ROOT AND RE-RUN
    >
    > kai@xwing:~> su
    > Password:
    > xwing:/home/kai # iwconfig
    > lo * * * *no wireless extensions.
    >
    > wmaster0 *no wireless extensions.
    >
    > wlan0 * * IEEE 802.11g *ESSID:""
    > * * * * * Mode:Managed *Frequency:2.412 GHz *Access Point: Not-Associated
    > * * * * * Retry min limit:7 * RTS thrff * Fragment thr=2346 B
    > * * * * * Encryption keyff
    > * * * * * Link Quality:0 *Signal level:0 *Noise level:0
    > * * * * * Rx invalid nwid:0 *Rx invalid crypt:0 *Rx invalidfrag:0
    > * * * * * Tx excessive retries:0 *Invalid misc:0 * Missed beacon:0
    >
    > eth0 * * *no wireless extensions.
    >
    > cipsec0 * no wireless extensions.
    >
    > vmnet1 * *no wireless extensions.
    >
    > vmnet8 * *no wireless extensions.
    >
    > --www.perfectreign.com||www.filesite.org
    >
    > government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and
    > statutes and 1% logic

    okay I got it...Now my question would be how come wlan0 disappeared?
    I rebooted and I don't see it now...any ideas? This is the output of
    ndiswrapper -l

    bcmwl6: driver installed
    device(14E4:4311) present (alternate driver: ssb)

+ Reply to Thread