K3b crashes under Suse 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on K3b crashes under Suse 11.0 - Suse ; Please help, IN Suse 11.0 with K3b 1.05 , using KDE 3.59, release 49.1, burning DVD-R K3b crashes when the DVD gets burned. I upgraded K3b from 1.04 because it crashed too. I did not install Gnome, but tried to ...

  1. K3b crashes under Suse 11.0

    Please help,

    IN Suse 11.0 with K3b 1.05 , using KDE 3.59, release 49.1, burning DVD-R
    K3b crashes when the DVD gets burned.
    I upgraded K3b from 1.04 because it crashed too.

    I did not install Gnome, but tried to start copying DVD's with
    Brasero installed by yast. The problem there is that it there, but it does
    not find the DVD player. Probably that is not mounted in Gnome (?).

    How do you suggest me to burn the DVD's? X-CD-Roast does not work with me
    under suse 11.0

    I'm pretty much a dummy with Linux, especially with the terminalprogramming.

    Thanks!

    Herman

  2. Re: K3b crashes under Suse 11.0

    Herman wrote:
    > Please help,
    >
    > IN Suse 11.0 with K3b 1.05 , using KDE 3.59, release 49.1, burning DVD-R
    > K3b crashes when the DVD gets burned.
    > I upgraded K3b from 1.04 because it crashed too.
    >
    > I did not install Gnome, but tried to start copying DVD's with
    > Brasero installed by yast. The problem there is that it there, but it does
    > not find the DVD player. Probably that is not mounted in Gnome (?).
    >
    > How do you suggest me to burn the DVD's? X-CD-Roast does not work with me
    > under suse 11.0
    >
    > I'm pretty much a dummy with Linux, especially with the terminalprogramming.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Herman

    K3B has worked great for me for CD's, and single or dual layer DVD's. At
    what point is it crashing? Sounds like you said after it's done. While
    finalizing? Check your configuration. Check your media.

  3. Re: K3b crashes under Suse 11.0

    Claude Hopper wrote:

    > Herman wrote:
    >> Please help,
    >>
    >> IN Suse 11.0 with K3b 1.05 , using KDE 3.59, release 49.1, burning DVD-R
    >> K3b crashes when the DVD gets burned.
    >> I upgraded K3b from 1.04 because it crashed too.
    >>
    >> I did not install Gnome, but tried to start copying DVD's with
    >> Brasero installed by yast. The problem there is that it there, but it
    >> does not find the DVD player. Probably that is not mounted in Gnome (?).
    >>
    >> How do you suggest me to burn the DVD's? X-CD-Roast does not work with me
    >> under suse 11.0
    >>
    >> I'm pretty much a dummy with Linux, especially with the
    >> terminalprogramming.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Herman

    > K3B has worked great for me for CD's, and single or dual layer DVD's. At
    > what point is it crashing? Sounds like you said after it's done. While
    > finalizing? Check your configuration. Check your media.

    It stars crashing the moment it starts the burningprocess. But it still
    finalizes the burning (but I don't know when it's ready...) and does not
    open the DVD drawer anymore and does not show anymore on the scree what
    it's doing. It also only does only one DVD even when I order more.
    --
    Herman

  4. Re: K3b crashes under Suse 11.0

    Herman wrote:
    > Please help,
    >
    > IN Suse 11.0 with K3b 1.05 , using KDE 3.59, release 49.1, burning DVD-R
    > K3b crashes when the DVD gets burned.
    > I upgraded K3b from 1.04 because it crashed too.
    >
    > I did not install Gnome, but tried to start copying DVD's with
    > Brasero installed by yast. The problem there is that it there, but it does
    > not find the DVD player. Probably that is not mounted in Gnome (?).
    >
    > How do you suggest me to burn the DVD's? X-CD-Roast does not work with me
    > under suse 11.0
    >
    > I'm pretty much a dummy with Linux, especially with the terminalprogramming.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Herman

    Install Gnomebaker. It will work with KDE.

    Dan Dangerous

  5. Re: K3b crashes under Suse 11.0

    Herman wrote:

    > Claude Hopper wrote:
    >
    >> Herman wrote:
    >>> Please help,
    >>>
    >>> IN Suse 11.0 with K3b 1.05 , using KDE 3.59, release 49.1, burning DVD-R
    >>> K3b crashes when the DVD gets burned.
    >>> I upgraded K3b from 1.04 because it crashed too.
    >>>
    >>> I did not install Gnome, but tried to start copying DVD's with
    >>> Brasero installed by yast. The problem there is that it there, but it
    >>> does not find the DVD player. Probably that is not mounted in Gnome (?).
    >>>
    >>> How do you suggest me to burn the DVD's? X-CD-Roast does not work with
    >>> me under suse 11.0
    >>>
    >>> I'm pretty much a dummy with Linux, especially with the
    >>> terminalprogramming.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Herman

    >> K3B has worked great for me for CD's, and single or dual layer DVD's. At
    >> what point is it crashing? Sounds like you said after it's done. While
    >> finalizing? Check your configuration. Check your media.

    > It stars crashing the moment it starts the burningprocess. But it still
    > finalizes the burning (but I don't know when it's ready...) and does not
    > open the DVD drawer anymore and does not show anymore on the scree what
    > it's doing. It also only does only one DVD even when I order more.

    It hasn't crashed in that way for me, but it refused to verify after it
    completes the write. It opens the drive and closes it after completing
    write, but not after the normal time to verify. This is new since 11.0. All
    versions of 10.x worked properly.

  6. Re: K3b crashes under Suse 11.0

    Dan Dangerous wrote:
    > Herman wrote:
    >> Please help,
    >>
    >> IN Suse 11.0 with K3b 1.05 , using KDE 3.59, release 49.1, burning
    >> DVD-R K3b crashes when the DVD gets burned. I upgraded K3b from 1.04
    >> because it crashed too.
    >>
    >> I did not install Gnome, but tried to start copying DVD's with Brasero
    >> installed by yast. The problem there is that it there, but it does
    >> not find the DVD player. Probably that is not mounted in Gnome (?).
    >>
    >> How do you suggest me to burn the DVD's? X-CD-Roast does not work with me
    >> under suse 11.0
    >>
    >> I'm pretty much a dummy with Linux, especially with the
    >> terminalprogramming.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Herman

    > Install Gnomebaker. It will work with KDE.
    >
    > Dan Dangerous

    Might also try Brasero or Graveman and see if the same thing happens.

  7. Re: K3b crashes under Suse 11.0

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:49:53 +0200, Herman wrote:

    > Please help,
    >
    > IN Suse 11.0 with K3b 1.05 , using KDE 3.59, release 49.1, burning DVD-R
    > K3b crashes when the DVD gets burned. I upgraded K3b from 1.04 because
    > it crashed too.
    >
    > I did not install Gnome, but tried to start copying DVD's with Brasero
    > installed by yast. The problem there is that it there, but it does not
    > find the DVD player. Probably that is not mounted in Gnome (?).
    >
    > How do you suggest me to burn the DVD's? X-CD-Roast does not work with
    > me under suse 11.0
    >
    > I'm pretty much a dummy with Linux, especially with the
    > terminalprogramming.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Herman

    Was having problems with K3B since openSUSE 10. Report a bug and the
    authors team will work hard to help.

    I finally gave up after 10.0, 10.3, 11.0 had problems and am using Nero.
    It works superbly. Not open source or free, though.

  8. Re: K3b crashes under Suse 11.0

    Baron wrote:

    > John Bowling wrote:
    >

    >> Herman wrote:

    >>> It stars crashing the moment it starts the burningprocess. But it
    >>> still finalizes the burning (but I don't know when it's ready...) and
    >>> does not open the DVD drawer anymore and does not show anymore on the
    >>> scree what it's doing. It also only does only one DVD even when I
    >>> order more.

    >> It hasn't crashed in that way for me, but it refused to verify after
    >> it
    >> completes the write. It opens the drive and closes it after
    >> completing write, but not after the normal time to verify. This is new
    >> since 11.0. All versions of 10.x worked properly.

    > No ! There have been problems with K3B since at least 9.3 ! A lot of
    > which could well be hardware related.
    >
    > The verify problem may be worked around by turning off "eject after
    > burn" ! Some hardware and every laptop that I know of is unable to
    > retract the drawer after its been ejected.
    >
    > Having said that I have a machine that will "eject, retract & verify"
    > properly with a "Liton" drive, but won't work with a "NEC 3500" drive.
    >
    > YMMV

    Thank you all for your comments!

    I worked a little around the problem.
    -I installed gnome. (software--> filter--> packets--> Gnome) Then I
    installed brassero.
    -I made copies with Brassereo.
    -I found out that all five copies hat the same fault at the end of the
    movie.
    -So there is also a hard to find bug in Brassero(?)
    -I found out, that K3b crashes, but still burns the DVD's "properly". I have
    to take the CD out manually and have to listen good to the DVD player and
    the burning. Then I wait a few minutes by guess and open the DVD burner....
    sigh....
    - With control-alt-escape I decrash K3b and start K3b up again from Kmenu
    for the next DVD
    --
    Herman

  9. Re: K3b crashes under Suse 11.0

    Herman wrote:

    > Baron wrote:
    >
    >> John Bowling wrote:

    >>> It hasn't crashed in that way for me, but it refused to verify after
    >>> it
    >>> completes the write. It opens the drive and closes it after
    >>> completing write, but not after the normal time to verify. This is
    >>> new since 11.0. All versions of 10.x worked properly.

    >> No ! There have been problems with K3B since at least 9.3 ! A lot of
    >> which could well be hardware related.
    >>
    >> The verify problem may be worked around by turning off "eject after
    >> burn" ! Some hardware and every laptop that I know of is unable to
    >> retract the drawer after its been ejected.
    >>
    >> Having said that I have a machine that will "eject, retract & verify"
    >> properly with a "Liton" drive, but won't work with a "NEC 3500"
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> YMMV
    >>

    > Thank you all for your comments!
    >
    > I worked a little around the problem.
    > -I installed gnome. (software--> filter--> packets--> Gnome) Then I
    > installed brassero.
    > -I made copies with Brassereo.
    > -I found out that all five copies hat the same fault at the end of the
    > movie.
    > -So there is also a hard to find bug in Brassero(?)
    > -I found out, that K3b crashes, but still burns the DVD's "properly".
    > I have to take the CD out manually and have to listen good to the DVD
    > player and the burning. Then I wait a few minutes by guess and open
    > the DVD burner.... sigh....
    > - With control-alt-escape I decrash K3b and start K3b up again from
    > Kmenu for the next DVD

    Unfortunately I don't use Gnome or Brassero so I couldn't comment on
    that. Apart from the bugs that are known, "K3B" always works just
    fine. Ok, I admit that its never crashed on me, but the only time I've
    had a bad burn its because the disc has been bad !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

+ Reply to Thread