creating a bootable 8 gig flash for the opensuse 11 install dvd - Suse

This is a discussion on creating a bootable 8 gig flash for the opensuse 11 install dvd - Suse ; I want to install openSUSE 11 from a bootable fash drive and I can't seem to find any documentation on how to do this. I'd like to use the openSuSE 11 DVD for the x86 32 bit platform which I ...

  1. creating a bootable 8 gig flash for the opensuse 11 install dvd

    I want to install openSUSE 11 from a bootable fash drive and I can't seem
    to find any documentation on how to do this. I'd like to use the openSuSE
    11 DVD for the x86 32 bit platform which I have downloaded.

    Does anyone know how I can turn the flash drive into a bootable install
    disk?

    I've hit a few mailing lists on this but I'm getting nowhere. I feel like
    I'm banging my head agains the wall

    Here are some previous discussions
    -------------

    clayton wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know how I can turn the flash drive into a bootable
    >>> install disk?
    >>>

    >> Hi Ruben,
    >>
    >> There is some documentation on the wiki[0] but I've never used it
    >> myself.

    >> [0] http://en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive
    >>

    > I've used these instructions, and they are well written and work great.
    > I install openSUSE exclusively from a USB drive on my computers now.

    I'm using a cruzer micro 8g disk and its not working. When I try to boot
    it, it says can't boot hdd or something of that affect.

    Hello

    Sorry is this is reaching the wrong person but I'm trying to debug why I
    can't make a bootable install flash drive for opensuse 11 and while
    looking over the code I don't understand the purpose of following code

    system "cp $opt_syslinux $src/ldlinux.sys" and die "error: no
    syslinux?\n"; system "ls $src|grep ld";

    $boot_disks = 2;

    unlink "$src/ldlinux.sys";
    system "ls $src|grep ld";

    Why copy the ldlinux.sys file and then immediately delete it?

    When I tried to do this straight from the instructions on:

    http://en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive

    and try to boot from the install flash disk (which is an 8g scandisk
    cruzer micro) it doesn't boot and just says EBIOS HDD

    Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Ruben Safir wrote:
    >

    >> flash drive for opensuse 11 and while looking over the code I don't
    >> understand the purpose of following
    >> code
    >>

    >> system "cp $opt_syslinux $src/ldlinux.sys" and die "error: no
    >> syslinux?\n"; system "ls $src|grep ld";
    >>
    >> $boot_disks = 2;
    >>
    >> unlink "$src/ldlinux.sys";
    >> system "ls $src|grep ld";
    >>

    >> Why copy the ldlinux.sys file and then immediately delete it?
    >>

    > well, the original code in boot/i386/mkbootdisk (on openSUSE media) of
    > which your script is apparently derived looks like:

    Thanks. This script, minus the print STDERR I addded actually comes from
    this website: http://en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive

    >> system "cp $opt_syslinux $src/ldlinux.sys" and die "error: no
    >> syslinux?\n";
    >>
    >> $boot_disks = get_disk_number $src;
    >> $boot_disks = 2 if $boot_disks < 2;
    >>
    >> unlink "$src/ldlinux.sys";
    >>

    > and here the copying is done to calculate the number of required
    > (floppy) boot disks.
    >

    >> and try to boot from the install flash disk (which is an 8g scandisk
    >> cruzer micro)
    >> it doesn't boot and just says EBIOS HDD
    >>

    > An easy check would be to try it with qemu:
    >
    > qemu -hda /dev/
    >
    > to get an idea whether the disk is wrong or your bios.
    >

    > Steffen

    on the system we are trying to boot on? My syslinux is from SuSE 93, if
    that matters.

    >>> An easy check would be to try it with qemu:
    >>>
    >>> qemu -hda /dev/
    >>>
    >>> to get an idea whether the disk is wrong or your bios.
    >>>

    >> on the system we are trying to boot on? My syslinux is from SuSE 93,
    >> if that matters.
    >>

    > On any; doesn't matter.
    >

    > Steffen

    OK - I downloaded it from the 9.3 repository and it just says the same
    thing

    HDD EBOIS
    Boot Failed

    How do I debug this?

    Hello

    I'm really having trouble getting a flash disk of the opensuse 11 dvd to
    become bootable and your name popped up in syslinux as the copyright
    holder of what appears to be vers 2.11

    SuSE has a mksuseboot script on this page which I've tried, among many
    things I've tried and debugged at
    http://opensource.contentbakery.fi/suse/mksusebootdisk

    Nothing is working and I can't even find basic documentation like

    how does the system find ldlinux.sys?

    where does it look? where do i put the config files? How do I read the
    master boot record?

    If you can be of any assistance, I'd appreciate it.

    At this point, I've confused how booting actually happens, something I
    thought I used to know. Somehow the MBR has to tell the computers where
    the program that bootstraps the system sits on the disk.

    Ruben

  2. Re: creating a bootable 8 gig flash for the opensuse 11 install dvd

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:37:47 -0400, Ruben wrote:

> [...]

    > I'm really having trouble getting a flash disk of the opensuse 11 dvd to
    > become bootable and your name popped up in syslinux as the copyright
    > holder of what appears to be vers 2.11
    >
    > SuSE has a mksuseboot script on this page which I've tried, among many
    > things I've tried and debugged at
    > http://opensource.contentbakery.fi/suse/mksusebootdisk
    >
    > Nothing is working and I can't even find basic documentation like
    >
    > how does the system find ldlinux.sys?
    >
    > where does it look? where do i put the config files? How do I read the
    > master boot record?
    >
    > If you can be of any assistance, I'd appreciate it.
    > __________________________________________________ ___________________
    >
    > At this point, I've confused how booting actually happens, something I
    > thought I used to know. Somehow the MBR has to tell the computers where
    > the program that bootstraps the system sits on the disk.

    Instructions can be found here:
    http://en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive

    Hope that helps.

  3. Re: creating a bootable 8 gig flash for the opensuse 11 install dvd

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:14:01 +0000, Mike Bleiweiss wrote:

    > Instructions can be found here:
    > http://en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive
    >
    > Hope that helps.

    Sorry - for some reason the rest of your original post came in
    truncated. After I read the whole thing - I'm wondering if there isn't
    an issue with either your USB keyring or your motherboard. I've used the
    instructions at opensuse.org successfully before. Have you tried this on
    different hardware?

    Also - I'm sure you already know this, but your motherboard must support
    boot-to-usb.

  4. Re: creating a bootable 8 gig flash for the opensuse 11 install dvd

    On

    > Instructions can be found here:
    > http://en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive
    >
    > Hope that helps.

    Thanks. Those instructions don't work with a 9.3 distro because of some
    difference with mkfs.vfat.

    in the live 11 disk, it works, but origianally it chocked on they syslinux
    command complaining it didn't recokognize the FS as fat. So with new
    tools on the 11 live disk, I reformated and everything worked.

    Ruben

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  5. Re: creating a bootable 8 gig flash for the opensuse 11 install dvd

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:27:58 +0000, Mike Bleiweiss wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:14:01 +0000, Mike Bleiweiss wrote:
    >

    >> Instructions can be found here:
    >> http://en.opensuse.org/SuSE_install_from_USB_drive
    >>
    >> Hope that helps.

    > Sorry - for some reason the rest of your original post came in
    > truncated. After I read the whole thing - I'm wondering if there isn't
    > an issue with either your USB keyring or your motherboard. I've used the
    > instructions at opensuse.org successfully before. Have you tried this on
    > different hardware?
    >
    > Also - I'm sure you already know this, but your motherboard must support
    > boot-to-usb.

    Thanks Mike

    The problem was with how 9,3 made the fat file system. I have no idea of
    the details but newer versions of msfs.vfat worked right away.

    Ruben

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  6. Re: creating a bootable 8 gig flash for the opensuse 11 install dvd

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 05:49:40 -0400, Ruben wrote:

    > Thanks Mike
    >
    > The problem was with how 9,3 made the fat file system. I have no idea
    > of the details but newer versions of msfs.vfat worked right away.
    >
    > Ruben

    Very good to know - thanks for the info. Mine probably worked because I
    already had a native FAT32 partition on my USB keyring and I didn't do
    the whole vfat thing. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end.

+ Reply to Thread