problem with VirtualBox running under OpenSuse 11 (x86-64) GNOME - Suse

This is a discussion on problem with VirtualBox running under OpenSuse 11 (x86-64) GNOME - Suse ; Hi. When I run the latest version of virtualbox, it gives an error notification: http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/ss-virtualbox.png When I try to run a virtual copy of XP, it just gets stuck as soon as I try to start it (so I can ...

  1. problem with VirtualBox running under OpenSuse 11 (x86-64) GNOME

    Hi.

    When I run the latest version of virtualbox, it gives an error
    notification:

    http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/ss-virtualbox.png

    When I try to run a virtual copy of XP, it just gets stuck as soon as
    I try
    to start it (so I can create a virtual machine, but I can't run it) it
    gets stuck
    without any message or anything (so I have to kill the process
    manually).
    Does anyone know how to get virtualbox running properly under opensuse
    11 (x86-64)?

    Is it likely to be just a matter of getting the usb drivers installed
    properly?
    I find it somewhat odd, as usb seems to work ok under linux (running
    linux natively on
    a dedicated partition) and I can access external usb drives.

    greetings and thanks in advance for any suggestions, N

  2. Re: problem with VirtualBox running under OpenSuse 11 (x86-64) GNOME

    sobriquet turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > When I run the latest version of virtualbox, it gives an error
    > notification:
    >
    > http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/ss-virtualbox.png
    >
    > When I try to run a virtual copy of XP, it just gets stuck as soon as
    > I try
    > to start it (

    since it seems to be a usb issue - disable usb in the virtual machine
    settings

    Machine Name (XP) Details tab on right, USB > deselect "Enable USB
    Controller"

    Let us know how that worked.

    Oh, is this the open source edition (with broken USB) or the Sun version
    (with USB support)?

    http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/20...ualbox_usb.png

    government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and
    statutes and 1% logic

  3. Re: problem with VirtualBox running under OpenSuse 11 (x86-64) GNOME

    On Oct 15, 5:41 pm, PerfectReign wrote:
    > sobriquet turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:
    >

    > > Hi.

    > > When I run the latest version of virtualbox, it gives an error
    > > notification:

    > >http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/ss-virtualbox.png

    > > When I try to run a virtual copy of XP, it just gets stuck as soon as
    > > I try
    > > to start it (

    > since it seems to be a usb issue - disable usb in the virtual machine
    > settings
    >
    > Machine Name (XP) Details tab on right, USB > deselect "Enable USB
    > Controller"
    >
    > Let us know how that worked.
    >
    > Oh, is this the open source edition (with broken USB) or the Sun version
    > (with USB support)?
    >
    > http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/20...ualbox_usb.png
    >
    > --www.perfectreign.com||www.filesite.org
    >
    > government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and
    > statutes and 1% logic

    I use this version:

    http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...1-1.x86_64.rpm

    I've noticed that the error notification I've shown comes up when I
    try to modify the settings of a virtual xp machine, despite the usb
    settings being disabled.

    http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/ss-vbox1.png

    When I try to start the machine (in order to install xp on the virtual
    machine), it hangs at this point:

    http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/ss-vbox2.png

  4. Re: problem with VirtualBox running under OpenSuse 11 (x86-64) GNOME

    sobriquet turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    >> Oh, is this the open source edition (with broken USB) or the Sun version
    >> (with USB support)?
    >>
    >> http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/20...ualbox_usb.png

    > I use this version:

    http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...1-1.x86_64.rpm

    > I've noticed that the error notification I've shown comes up when I
    > try to modify the settings of a virtual xp machine, despite the usb
    > settings being disabled.
    >
    > http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/ss-vbox1.png
    >
    > When I try to start the machine (in order to install xp on the virtual
    > machine), it hangs at this point:
    >
    > http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/ss-vbox2.png

    Oh, you're using GNOME. That's your problem. :P

    Seriously, I see you're using the Sun version with USB support.

    This happens both with usb enabled and disabled?

    Have you completely installed XP? Did it work at one point and then stop?
    Have you tried installing XP again? (Not removing the one currently
    installed.)

    government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and
    statutes and 1% logic

  5. Re: problem with VirtualBox running under OpenSuse 11 (x86-64) GNOME

    On 16 okt, 23:02, PerfectReign wrote:
    > sobriquet turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:
    >
    > >> Oh, is this the open source edition (with broken USB) or the Sun version
    > >> (with USB support)?

    > >>http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/20...ualbox_usb.png

    > > I use this version:

    > http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...Box-2.0.2_3648...
    >

    > > I've noticed that the error notification I've shown comes up when I
    > > try to modify the settings of a virtual xp machine, despite the usb
    > > settings being disabled.

    > >http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/ss-vbox1.png

    > > When I try to start the machine (in order to install xp on the virtual
    > > machine), it hangs at this point:

    > >http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/ss-vbox2.png

    > Oh, you're using GNOME. That's your problem. *:P
    >
    > Seriously, I see you're using the Sun version with USB support. *
    >
    > This happens both with usb enabled and disabled?

    At least with usb disabled.

    > Have you completely installed XP? Did it work at one point and then stop?
    > Have you tried installing XP again? (Not removing the one currently
    > installed.)

    Before I get a chance to install XP I get stuck as soon as I turn on
    the virtual machine.
    But I've decided to abandon using virtualbox for now and see if I can
    get vmware to work.
    I'm working on the windows version now (attempting to see if I can run
    osX86 using vmware)
    and once I have that working, I might attempt to get the linux version
    working so I
    can use opensuse as a host and run other operating systems (xp, vista,
    osX86,..) using vmware.
    Thanks for your help so far.

    > --www.perfectreign.com||www.filesite.org
    >
    > government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and
    > statutes and 1% logic

  6. Re: problem with VirtualBox running under OpenSuse 11 (x86-64) GNOME

    sobriquet turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    >> This happens both with usb enabled and disabled?

    > At least with usb disabled.
    >

    >> Have you completely installed XP? Did it work at one point and then stop?
    >> Have you tried installing XP again? (Not removing the one currently
    >> installed.)

    > Before I get a chance to install XP I get stuck as soon as I turn on
    > the virtual machine.

    That *is* odd.

    I use VBox all the time, and have Vista running perfectly.

    http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/20...ualbox_usb.png

    I even have it in Seamless Mode.

    http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/20...x_seamless.png

    (I really like that option!)

    > But I've decided to abandon using virtualbox for now and see if I can
    > get vmware to work.

    Good luck. I had been using VMWare but didn't want to deal with the
    licensing. Let us know if it does work.

    http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/20...e_xp_guest.png

    government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and
    statutes and 1% logic

  7. Re: problem with VirtualBox running under OpenSuse 11 (x86-64) GNOME

    PerfectReign wrote:

    > sobriquet turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:
    >

    >>> This happens both with usb enabled and disabled?

    >> At least with usb disabled.
    >>

    >>> Have you completely installed XP? Did it work at one point and then
    >>> stop? Have you tried installing XP again? (Not removing the one
    >>> currently installed.)

    >> Before I get a chance to install XP I get stuck as soon as I turn on
    >> the virtual machine.

    > That *is* odd.
    >
    > I use VBox all the time, and have Vista running perfectly.
    >
    > http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/20...ualbox_usb.png
    >
    > I even have it in Seamless Mode.

    http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/20...x_seamless.png

    > (I really like that option!)
    >

    >> But I've decided to abandon using virtualbox for now and see if I can
    >> get vmware to work.

    > Good luck. I had been using VMWare but didn't want to deal with the
    > licensing. Let us know if it does work.
    >
    > http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/20...e_xp_guest.png

    Hi,

    this is because VirtualBox uses usbfs which is not started by default under
    openSUSE. Check /etc/fstab whether you have line for usbfs there.
    If not, it should look something like this:
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0664,devgid=110 0 0
    You can retrieve devgid by running:
    grep vbox /etc/group
    This still will not mount usbfs automatically (this can be achieved by
    adding 'auto' to the line in /etc/fstab), but you can run
    mount -a
    as root and usbfs will be mounted when needed. With this VirtualBox no
    longer displays the error.

    puki

+ Reply to Thread