Zypper and "automatic" package tracking - Suse

This is a discussion on Zypper and "automatic" package tracking - Suse ; On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article , Kevin Nathan wrote: >ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote: >>When this (hypothetical) distribution got installed, it installed >>this useless editor $FOO, and I never use it because everyone knows ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Zypper and "automatic" package tracking

    <20081015204616.04a6c1a4@efreet.linux>, Kevin Nathan wrote:

    >ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:

    >>When this (hypothetical) distribution got installed, it installed
    >>this useless editor $FOO, and I never use it because everyone knows
    >>you should only use $BAR, the true editor for the masses.

    >Now *that* is just plain wrong *and* ridiculous! Anyone with more than
    >two brain cells to rub together knows, absolutely, that $FOO is a far,
    >far better editor than that skanky old $BAR.
    >
    >So there. ;-)

    Good Ghod, now the editor wars are going to start, and we'll have
    posters claiming $BAZ, $QUX, or even that worthless thing called
    $QUUX is a better choice. Bah! I'd only stoop to use $CORGE
    if there was _nothing_ else available - and would almost prefer
    to use /bin/echo and shell redirection in that case.

    (Aside - I was actually going to name a specific editor, as one is
    usually a required part of the install, but thought "No, that would
    bring forth the foaming masses, and the group will be buried in noise
    for the next few days". What can I say?)

    Old guy

  2. Re: Zypper and "automatic" package tracking

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 23:04:38 -0500
    ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:

    >(Aside - I was actually going to name a specific editor, as one is
    >usually a required part of the install, but thought "No, that would
    >bring forth the foaming masses, and the group will be buried in noise
    >for the next few days". What can I say?)
    >
    > Old guy

    SCNR! ;-D

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.16-0.1-pae
    9:26pm up 26 days 2:27, 19 users, load average: 0.08, 0.12, 0.17

  3. Re: Zypper and "automatic" package tracking

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 23:03:44 -0500, Moe Trin wrote:
    > 'deb-orphan' appears to be similar to a really dumb script we've been
    > using in the configuration management section for about ten years.

    > though I'm sure there is more to the script than that.

    There is indeed more to deborphan than that -- it is not a script
    but a compiled executable.

    file `which deborphan`
    /usr/bin/deborphan: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version
    (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
    stripped

    Similarly for debfoster.

    file `which debfoster`
    /usr/bin/debfoster: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
    (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
    stripped

  4. Re: Zypper and "automatic" package tracking

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
    , I wrote:

    >J G Miller wrote:

    >>In my experience, the only time you cannot uninstall $FOO after
    >>installing $BAR, is because somebody has constructed a base package
    >>which considers that $FOO must be installed.

    >I've seen that situation. And often it is an editor, though why a
    >_specific_ one (other than 'sed') might be required is beyond me[1].

    Footnote not found - core dumped

    (The paragraph that followed, referring to the FHS and LSB was meant
    to be the footnote.)

    Old guy

  5. Re: Zypper and "automatic" package tracking

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
    <1224286543_19@vo.lu>, J G Miller wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >>'deb-orphan' appears to be similar to a really dumb script we've been
    >> using in the configuration management section for about ten years.

    >> though I'm sure there is more to the script than that.

    >There is indeed more to deborphan than that -- it is not a script
    >but a compiled executable.

    I don't doubt that deborphan is a compiled app - I was stating what we
    have been using with rpm based distributions for about ten years.

    Old guy

  6. Re: Zypper and "automatic" package tracking

    <20081016212629.7c07e1fd@efreet.linux>, Kevin Nathan wrote:

    >ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:

    >>(Aside - I was actually going to name a specific editor, as one is
    >>usually a required part of the install, but thought "No, that would
    >>bring forth the foaming masses, and the group will be buried in noise
    >>for the next few days". What can I say?)

    >SCNR! ;-D

    No complaints - besides, maybe some of the readers would be interested
    in exploring the benefits of using one of the editors we've mentioned.
    For those not aware of these editors, see RFC3092 and Eric Raymond's
    Jargon File (a.k.a "The New Hacker's Dictionary") under the entry for
    'metasyntactic variable'. Both documents are widely available, and
    any search engine should find plenty of URLs.

    Old guy

  7. Re: Zypper and "automatic" package tracking

    J G Miller wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 23:03:44 -0500, Moe Trin wrote:
    > > 'deb-orphan' appears to be similar to a really dumb script we've been
    > > using in the configuration management section for about ten years.

    > > though I'm sure there is more to the script than that.

    > There is indeed more to deborphan than that -- it is not a script
    > but a compiled executable.

    He did not say it was a script. He said it was similar to a dumb script
    he used. Wether this is true or not, I do notr know. First because I do
    not know deb-orphan, second because I dio not know the dumb script he
    uses.

    Also it should be noticed that deborphan apparently makes a list See
    comments 7, 8 and 9
    http://www.debian-administration.org.../134#comment_7

    A few coments later somebody talks about 36MB.

    Anyhow, the best thing to do if you like something like that in openSUSE
    is to open a bugreport and ask for this feature. Might be too late for
    11.1 as they are already in beta, but perhaps for 11.2

    Moe Trin: please share your script for those who want to use it. If good
    enough it could even be used as basis for what they will put in
    openSUSE.

    houghi
    --
    Nutze die Zeit. Sie ist das Kostbarste, was wir haben, denn
    es ist unwiederbringliche Lebenszeit. Leben ist aber mehr

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2