acrobat reader firefox plugin - Suse

This is a discussion on acrobat reader firefox plugin - Suse ; I use an openSuse 11 (64bit). For a long time I know that acrobat reader firefox plugin does not terminate very well. If I leave a PDF and return to a HTML page it normally (!) hangs in memory and ...

  1. acrobat reader firefox plugin

    I use an openSuse 11 (64bit).

    For a long time I know that acrobat reader firefox plugin does not
    terminate very well. If I leave a PDF and return to a HTML page it
    normally (!) hangs in memory and even remains doing something. It
    produces a measurable system load for a long time which even adds up
    when I consecutively view multiple PDFs.

    Yesterday I returned from a small PDF to HTML and then I left the room
    for about half an hour. When I came back I had more than 50% system
    load (CPU was low, but the hard disk was very, very busy, sadly I had
    no chance to see the memory consumption in this situation). I couldn't
    do anything. The PC did react very, very slow on everything. I even
    could not log in on another virtual console because I always got a
    login timeout (60s) there.

    So, what is this thing doing in such cases?

    Does anybody have the same problems with acrobat reader plugin?

    Is there another way to read PDFs inside firefox? (I could configure
    evince for viewing PDFs in it's own window outside firefox. Evince is
    fine!)

    T.M.

  2. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 07:21:21 +0200, Torsten Mueller wrote:

    > I use an openSuse 11 (64bit).
    >
    > For a long time I know that acrobat reader firefox plugin does not
    > terminate very well. If I leave a PDF and return to a HTML page it
    > normally (!) hangs in memory and even remains doing something. It
    > produces a measurable system load for a long time which even adds up
    > when I consecutively view multiple PDFs.
    >
    > Yesterday I returned from a small PDF to HTML and then I left the room
    > for about half an hour. When I came back I had more than 50% system load
    > (CPU was low, but the hard disk was very, very busy, sadly I had no
    > chance to see the memory consumption in this situation). I couldn't do
    > anything. The PC did react very, very slow on everything. I even could
    > not log in on another virtual console because I always got a login
    > timeout (60s) there.
    >
    > So, what is this thing doing in such cases?
    >
    > Does anybody have the same problems with acrobat reader plugin?
    >
    > Is there another way to read PDFs inside firefox? (I could configure
    > evince for viewing PDFs in it's own window outside firefox. Evince is
    > fine!)
    >
    > T.M.

    In my File Associations, application: I have KPDF followed by KGhostview,
    This is in both the General part and the Embedding section.
    I do not have acrobat reader or its plugin installed.

  3. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    Torsten Mueller wrote:

    > I use an openSuse 11 (64bit).
    >
    > For a long time I know that acrobat reader firefox plugin does not
    > terminate very well. If I leave a PDF and return to a HTML page it
    > normally (!) hangs in memory and even remains doing something. It
    > produces a measurable system load for a long time which even adds up
    > when I consecutively view multiple PDFs.
    >
    > Yesterday I returned from a small PDF to HTML and then I left the room
    > for about half an hour. When I came back I had more than 50% system
    > load (CPU was low, but the hard disk was very, very busy, sadly I had
    > no chance to see the memory consumption in this situation). I couldn't
    > do anything. The PC did react very, very slow on everything. I even
    > could not log in on another virtual console because I always got a
    > login timeout (60s) there.
    >
    > So, what is this thing doing in such cases?

    If you are running KDE, install the 'runaway proces catcher' applet
    on the panel

    --
    *********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

  4. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    > In my File Associations, application: I have KPDF followed by KGhostview,
    > This is in both the General part and the Embedding section.
    > I do not have acrobat reader or its plugin installed.

    Graham, could you possibly explain how you do this. I wish to force
    firefox to use kpdf when opening pdfs, instead of adobe reader, but
    there is no option in the firefox preferences where I can change this.
    On the applications tab it is not possible to change Adobe reader for
    anything else, and none of kpdf or KGhostview gets listed anywhere!

    Thanks

    Robert

  5. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    kiwanuka wrote:

    > > In my File Associations, application: I have KPDF followed by
    > > KGhostview, This is in both the General part and the Embedding
    > > section. I do not have acrobat reader or its plugin installed.

    > Graham, could you possibly explain how you do this. I wish to force
    > firefox to use kpdf when opening pdfs, instead of adobe reader, but
    > there is no option in the firefox preferences where I can change
    > this.

    I changed it yesterday to evince and it works fine. It's in the
    firefox Preferences dialog, tab Applications. Click onto an
    application on the right side and choose "other application" from the
    menu. Then you must find the executable by yourself.

    T.M.

  6. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    Torsten Mueller wrote:

    > I use an openSuse 11 (64bit).

    [...]

    > Does anybody have the same problems with acrobat reader plugin?

    Yepp, same here on 64bit.

    --
    Cheerz Lars

  7. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    On Oct 14, 10:47*am, Torsten Mueller wrote:
    > kiwanuka wrote:
    > > > In my File Associations, application: I have KPDF followed by
    > > > KGhostview, This is in both the General part and the Embedding
    > > > section. I do not have acrobat reader or its plugin installed.

    > > Graham, could you possibly explain how you do this. I wish to force
    > > firefox to use kpdf when opening pdfs, instead of adobe reader, but
    > > there is no option in the firefox preferences where I can change
    > > this.

    > I changed it yesterday to evince and it works fine. It's in the
    > firefox Preferences dialog, tab Applications. Click onto an
    > application on the right side and choose "other application" from the
    > menu. Then you must find the executable by yourself.
    >
    > T.M.

    Thanks T.M. That works, except I can no longer view the pdf embedded
    in firefox (as in a tab) which means I must have multiple windows open
    when I open multiple pdfs online.

    Cheers,
    Robert

  8. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 02:24:25 -0700, kiwanuka wrote:

    >> In my File Associations, application: I have KPDF followed by
    >> KGhostview, This is in both the General part and the Embedding section.
    >> I do not have acrobat reader or its plugin installed.

    > Graham, could you possibly explain how you do this. I wish to force
    > firefox to use kpdf when opening pdfs, instead of adobe reader, but
    > there is no option in the firefox preferences where I can change this.
    > On the applications tab it is not possible to change Adobe reader for
    > anything else, and none of kpdf or KGhostview gets listed anywhere!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Robert

    I see you have now a solution, but for reference here it is.

    I still use kde3 as kde4.0 was incomplete when openSUSE 11.0 was issued,
    so maybe this won't work in the later version.

    The full path is:
    Control Centre>KDE Components>File Associations>application>PDF
    Then you would put KPDF at the top of the list.
    In the Embedding section put in KPDF (kpdf_part)
    I does open in a separate window but this may be something in firefox
    preferences.

  9. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    Being a newbie to Linux (well, been here for 3 months now!), I didn't
    even know about the Control Centre! Fortunately, Beagle managed to
    find it. Now I can play with many of the other applications! Many
    thanks.

  10. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    kiwanuka wrote:

    This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
    this newsgroup clean
    Short story: Please read http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    Long story:
    Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on
    Usenet. There are several solutions to this problem. The best is to use a
    newsreader. For Windows there is e.g. FreeAgent and for Linux there is
    Pan, Knode or slrn, among others.

    Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. If they do not
    have a Usenetserver, look up a payserver, like http://giganews.com or a
    free server like news.sunsite.dk (registration required)

    Now what if you are not at home all the time and that is your reason to
    select google? Glad you asked.
    If you have a fixed connection, you can use a dyndns server to make a
    connection to your home linux machine over ssl and use anything that is
    on your home computer.
    e.g. ssh home.example.com and then run slrn. GUI interfaces are possible
    as well on any OS.
    If you are unable to keep a connection up, you can register at
    http://www.rootshell.be and then connect to there and use slrn on that
    machine. slrn is textbased and might be scary at first. As Usenet is
    text anyway, you will very fast learn how to use it and configure it.

    Only if all else fails and you have no option in using Usnet in any other
    way, including waiting till you get home, you can use Google. You can
    still quote correctly as described on the following page:

    Understand that many people already filter out google postings. So best
    look for an alternative. Usenet is not WWW. If you want WWW, look up
    a webforum. This is not a webforum.

    I sympathize with your problems, and am more than willing to help you
    solve them. To do so you should follow the correct quoting principles
    and good Netiquette explained in this FAQ available at;
    http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

    Until then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice
    won't do so. So in the interest of solving your problems, quote correctly
    and ask Google to reinstate the correct way of quoting.

    Remember: this was not a flame, this was helping you to get the best response
    and help possible.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of

  11. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    On Oct 15, 2:29*pm, houghi wrote:
    > kiwanuka wrote:
    >

    > This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
    > this newsgroup clean
    > Short story: Please readhttp://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/
    >
    > Long story:
    > Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on
    > Usenet. There are several solutions to this problem. The best is to use a
    > newsreader. For Windows there is e.g. FreeAgent and for Linux there is
    > Pan, Knode or slrn, among others.
    >
    > Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. If they do not
    > have a Usenetserver, look up a payserver, likehttp://giganews.comor a
    > free server like news.sunsite.dk (registration required)
    >
    > Now what if you are not at home all the time and that is your reason to
    > select google? Glad you asked.
    > If you have a fixed connection, you can use a dyndns server to make a
    > connection to your home linux machine over ssl and use anything that is
    > on your home computer.
    > e.g. ssh home.example.com and then run slrn. GUI interfaces are possible
    > as well on any OS.
    > If you are unable to keep a connection up, you can register athttp://www.rootshell.beand then connect to there and use slrn on that
    > machine. slrn is textbased and might be scary at first. As Usenet is
    > text anyway, you will very fast learn how to use it and configure it.
    >
    > Only if all else fails and you have no option in using Usnet in any other
    > way, including waiting till you get home, you can use Google. You can
    > still quote correctly as described on the following page:http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/
    >
    > Understand that many people already filter out google postings. So best
    > look for an alternative. Usenet is not WWW. If you want WWW, look up
    > a webforum. This is not a webforum.
    >
    > I sympathize with your problems, and am more than willing to help you
    > solve them. To do so you should follow the correct quoting principles
    > and good Netiquette explained in this FAQ available at;http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/
    >
    > Until then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice
    > won't do so. So in the interest of solving your problems, quote correctly
    > and ask Google to reinstate the correct way of quoting.
    >
    > Remember: this was not a flame, this was helping you to get the best response
    > and help possible.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    > sight and *sound but of mind. *A journey into a *wondrous land of
    > imagination. Next stop, Usenet!

    Google quoted the post I was replying to in my previous post but I
    decided that it was actually not relevant to quote it, so I deleted
    the quoted content. That was probably a poor decision on my part.
    Thanks for the Advice.

    Robert

  12. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    kiwanuka wrote:

    > Google quoted the post I was replying to in my previous post but I
    > decided that it was actually not relevant to quote it, so I deleted
    > the quoted content. That was probably a poor decision on my part.
    > Thanks for the Advice.

    Just do something like;

    That way people will know that at least know you did it on purpose.
    However somethinmg has triggerd you to reply in that post. Then you
    could do:

    > beer is good

    On a related matter: Zappa is nod just good, he is brilliant.

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

  13. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    Torsten Mueller wrote:
    > I use an openSuse 11 (64bit).
    >
    > For a long time I know that acrobat reader firefox plugin does not
    > terminate very well. If I leave a PDF and return to a HTML page it
    > normally (!) hangs in memory and even remains doing something. It
    > produces a measurable system load for a long time which even adds up
    > when I consecutively view multiple PDFs.
    >
    > Yesterday I returned from a small PDF to HTML and then I left the room
    > for about half an hour. When I came back I had more than 50% system
    > load (CPU was low, but the hard disk was very, very busy, sadly I had
    > no chance to see the memory consumption in this situation). I couldn't
    > do anything. The PC did react very, very slow on everything. I even
    > could not log in on another virtual console because I always got a
    > login timeout (60s) there.
    >
    > So, what is this thing doing in such cases?
    >
    > Does anybody have the same problems with acrobat reader plugin?
    >
    > Is there another way to read PDFs inside firefox? (I could configure
    > evince for viewing PDFs in it's own window outside firefox. Evince is
    > fine!)
    >
    > T.M.

    I use Seamonkey for Windows on Win$oze XP and have the same problem. The browser
    hangs for a long time or until reboot after viewing a PDF file. Never has this
    problem when using the original, now unsupported Mozilla.

  14. Re: acrobat reader firefox plugin

    On 2008-10-16, houghi wrote:
    > kiwanuka wrote:
    >
    >> Google quoted the post I was replying to in my previous post but I
    >> decided that it was actually not relevant to quote it, so I deleted
    >> the quoted content. That was probably a poor decision on my part.
    >> Thanks for the Advice.

    > Just do something like;
    >

    > That way people will know that at least know you did it on purpose.
    > However somethinmg has triggerd you to reply in that post. Then you
    > could do:
    >
    >> beer is good

    > On a related matter: Zappa is nod just good, he is brilliant.

    I just watched F.Z. yesterday in this:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frank-Zappa-.../dp/B000N6UDCG

    It's another great documentary about apparently the greatest individual
    in music of all times

    There's a lot of interviews of the Zappa family members as well as some
    great musicians who have played in his bands.

    Ruth Underwood being one of the most wanted by me, you don't see her
    much or even hear of her often.

    I'll give it a re-run tonight.

    --
    Vahis