Firewall vs Proxy - Suse

This is a discussion on Firewall vs Proxy - Suse ; I understand that using a proxy like squid to share an internet connection has several benefits like web caching, but forgetting those benefits I would like to know if a linux firewall (using iptables or something similar) can be use ...

  1. Firewall vs Proxy

    I understand that using a proxy like squid to share an internet
    connection has several benefits like web caching, but forgetting those
    benefits I would like to know if a linux firewall (using iptables or
    something similar) can be use to share an internet connection or if it
    will only serve as a “protection device”.

  2. Re: Firewall vs Proxy

    "Artificer" wrote in message
    I understand that using a proxy like squid to share an internet
    connection has several benefits like web caching, but forgetting those
    benefits I would like to know if a linux firewall (using iptables or
    something similar) can be use to share an internet connection or if it
    will only serve as a “protection device”.

    http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/r...irewalls1.html
    http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

+ Reply to Thread