    | Song : Hawaii Five-O -- The Ventures
    | Album : Surf's Up, Dude!

  3. Re: GNOME or KDE

    On 2008-10-11, houghi wrote:
    > Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic wrote:
    >>

    >> What is GNOME and what is KDE

    > One is a puppy killer, the other a kitten killer.
    >
    > Otherwise it is extremely hard to answer this question. If there would
    > only be a way to have a website where you could search for a word like
    > 'kde' or 'gnome' and that had a lot of websites indexed.
    >
    > Not 10 or 100 or even 1.000, but 10^100 (or ten duotrigintillion, or ten
    > thousand sexdecillion, or ten sexdecilliard) pages and then name the
    > website after that name.
    >

    > houghi

    Can you imagine how I was waiting for this post?

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  4. Re: GNOME or KDE

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 11:39:22 +0200, Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic wrote:

    > What is GNOME and what is KDE

    They are both *nix desktop environments.

  5. Re: GNOME or KDE

    houghi wrote:

    > Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic wrote:
    >>
    >> What is GNOME and what is KDE

    > One is a puppy killer, the other a kitten killer.
    >
    > Otherwise it is extremely hard to answer this question. If there would
    > only be a way to have a website where you could search for a word like
    > 'kde' or 'gnome' and that had a lot of websites indexed.
    >
    > Not 10 or 100 or even 1.000, but 10^100 (or ten duotrigintillion, or ten
    > thousand sexdecillion, or ten sexdecilliard) pages and then name the
    > website after that name.
    >

    > houghi

    And yet after all that work, they still could not spell "googol".

  6. Re: GNOME or KDE

    On Saturday, October 11, 2008 at 11:39:22h +0200,
    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic posed the question:

    > What is GNOME and what is KDE

    They are both desktop environments which provide the menus and
    decorations for your windows, and have associated applications
    which are built to have the same look and feel as the desktop
    management software.

    For more information about the Gnome desktop, please refer to

    For more information about the KDE desktop, please refer to

    For more information about how these two competing desktops are
    being brought to work with each other, please refer to

    Another major desktop is the XFCE desktop, and you can find
    more information about that at

    For more information about what desktops and window managers are
    available for the GNU/Linux operating system and their features,
    please refer to

  7. Re: GNOME or KDE

    J G Miller wrote:
    > For more information about what desktops and window managers are
    > available for the GNU/Linux operating system and their features,
    > please refer to

    http://www.windowmaker.info/ All the rest is inferior, All explanations
    why whatever is better are excuses, even from thos I have not tried yet.

    houghi
    | Artist : Santana
    | Song : Treat
    | Album : Live at the Fillmore 68

  8. Re: GNOME or KDE

    houghi wrote in

    > J G Miller wrote:
    >> For more information about what desktops and window managers are
    >> available for the GNU/Linux operating system and their features,
    >> please refer to
    >>

    > http://www.windowmaker.info/ All the rest is inferior, All explanations
    > why whatever is better are excuses, even from thos I have not tried yet.
    >
    > houghi

    Or enlightenment, or ratpoison (no mouse), or CDE, or fluxbox and the list
    goes on. I've tried windowmaker, it's OK.

    On kubuntu I have the options for enlightenment made to like/feel like KDE
    (or gnome).

    No prizes for guessing I'm a KDE user, don't like GNOME but there are those
    who do. The trouble is that fans of GNOME dislike KDE for the same reasons
    fans of KDE like it and visa versa.

  9. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Yeah, well I was asking you, not the google. If you arent so smart to be
    effective then dont try to "help".

    --
    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic
    a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    "Larry Bristol" wrote in message
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What is GNOME and what is KDE

    >> One is a puppy killer, the other a kitten killer.
    >>
    >> Otherwise it is extremely hard to answer this question. If there would
    >> only be a way to have a website where you could search for a word like
    >> 'kde' or 'gnome' and that had a lot of websites indexed.
    >>
    >> Not 10 or 100 or even 1.000, but 10^100 (or ten duotrigintillion, or ten
    >> thousand sexdecillion, or ten sexdecilliard) pages and then name the
    >> website after that name.
    >>

    >> houghi

    > And yet after all that work, they still could not spell "googol".

  10. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Tweetie Pooh wrote:

    > houghi wrote in
    >
    >> J G Miller wrote:
    >>> For more information about what desktops and window managers are
    >>> available for the GNU/Linux operating system and their features,
    >>> please refer to
    >>>

    >> http://www.windowmaker.info/ All the rest is inferior, All explanations
    >> why whatever is better are excuses, even from thos I have not tried yet.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Or enlightenment, or ratpoison (no mouse), or CDE, or fluxbox and the list
    > goes on. I've tried windowmaker, it's OK.
    >
    > On kubuntu I have the options for enlightenment made to like/feel like KDE
    > (or gnome).
    >
    > No prizes for guessing I'm a KDE user, don't like GNOME but there are
    > those
    > who do. The trouble is that fans of GNOME dislike KDE for the same
    > reasons fans of KDE like it and visa versa.

    My preference is also for KDE; whenever I try Gnome it doesn't seem right.
    I'm never sure if its because its configured wrong or because there is just
    more functionality in KDE and I miss it when it is not there.

    That being said, I'm on KDE 3.5. I tried KDE 4, but as far as I could see it
    was only half complete. Haven't tried KDE 4.1 yet. Incidentally I thought
    it was a bad idea to include KDE4 as the default desktop in the OpenSUSE
    11.0 live CD. It could easily put off a newcomer.

    Every so often I try a lightweight window manager, but nothing seems as good
    as the KDE panel. Lightweight managers are a little faster, but even on my
    six year old computer that was no better than mid-range when it was new,
    KDE runs with perfectly acceptable speed.

    Chris Godon-Smith
    www.simsoup.info

  11. Re: GNOME or KDE

    In article , a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    says...
    > Yeah, well I was asking you, not the google. If you arent so smart to be
    > effective then dont try to "help".

    It's just that he can't afford the brainectomy it would take to get
    down to your level of understanding.

    Bill
    --
    GMail, Google Goobers and Web to Usenet gateway users.
    This century's answers to AOL and WebTV.

  12. Re: GNOME or KDE

    > What is GNOME and what is KDE

    sorry you got flamed for your question...it is a typical new guy Q that most
    here have heard a thousand times...and are tired of hearing it, and the answers..

    the short answer is: gnome and kde are competing open source desktops...some say
    gnome is more like Apple[tm] while kde is more like Windows[tm]...but neither
    are either, because both are better--once you get used to them and know how to
    tweak them to YOUR needs (NOT the needs of someone, or group of someones, in
    Apple[tm] or Windows[tm] who then locks down the choices, and lock you out of
    your desktop)..

    there are many ready to fight to prove their choice is the best one...and, there
    are many (as you have seen) who are quick to point out that those are only TWO
    of *many* competing desktops available..

    anything more and you need to start seeing screen shots (which is why you got
    directions to web sites and google)..

    it is rather easy to have both desktops (and others) installed and switch
    between them until YOU learn what is best for YOU and YOUR NEEDS..

    my free advice is: stay AWAY from KDE4.0 which is included in SUSE 11.0 because
    it is just NOT ready for prime time (boloated, slow, hangs, freezes, dead ends,
    features that dont work, etc etc etc)...it is possible to upgrade to (somethi8ng
    like) KDE4.1.x but, you will have thrown your machine off a tall building before
    you figure out how to get all the upgrades done...KDE4 is a WORK IN PROGRESS
    that folks new to Linux should AVOID, for now...therefore, if you want to try
    KDE/Gnome on SUSE, install with the DVD and elect to install KDE3.5.x and Gnome
    (and all the others you might wanna try)

    and, you can find less snark in the 'official' openSUSE run forums which are
    accessible both via nntp and http, see:

    http://forums.opensuse.org/faq.php?s...l&titlesonly=0
    which tells all you need to know about the nntp side....amazingly, simple to
    find the 'front page' of the http side at: http://forums.opensuse.org/

    hmmmm, they are both less snarky AND less technically flush with
    experience....careful or you will get both BAD ADVICE and bubble gum on your
    keys..(i promise, i've seen guys arrive there with a question like yours AND
    acknowledged NO EXPERIENCE with *nix, and a month later giving tips on how to
    fix stuff (with NO idea what is going on, but they SOUND like the do--BEWARE!!)

    oh, here is your gnome vs kde question, discussed in excruciating detail (and
    bubble gum) within the openSUSE forum, enjoy:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/surveys-p...me-vs-kde.html

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE 3.5.7, SUSE Linux
    10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  13. Re: GNOME or KDE

    May be, but may be that he isnt so smart to help the PhD. Why are you
    replying to posts if you dont want to help?

    --
    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic
    a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    "Bill" wrote in message
    > In article , a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    > says...
    >> Yeah, well I was asking you, not the google. If you arent so smart to be
    >> effective then dont try to "help".
    >>

    > It's just that he can't afford the brainectomy it would take to get
    > down to your level of understanding.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > GMail, Google Goobers and Web to Usenet gateway users.
    > This century's answers to AOL and WebTV.

  14. Re: GNOME or KDE

    "Bill" wrote in message
    > In article , a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    > says...
    >> Yeah, well I was asking you, not the google. If you arent so smart
    >> to be
    >> effective then dont try to "help".
    >>

    > It's just that he can't afford the brainectomy it would take to get
    > down to your level of understanding.

    Fixed your top post for you cluebie. Another lesson you'll fail to
    understand.

    > May be, but may be that he isnt so smart to help the PhD. Why are you
    > replying to posts if you dont want to help?

    That you don't recognize the help is a failure on your part.

    Bill
    --
    GMail, Google Goobers and Web to Usenet gateway users.
    This century's answers to AOL and WebTV.

  15. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Ok I dont want to argue. What do you think what is better KDE or GNOME

    --
    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic
    a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    "Bill" wrote in message
    > In article , a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    > says...
    >
    > Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic
    > a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    > eit-hr.co.nr
    > "Bill" wrote in message
    >> In article , a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    >> says...
    >>> Yeah, well I was asking you, not the google. If you arent so smart
    >>> to be
    >>> effective then dont try to "help".
    >>>

    >> It's just that he can't afford the brainectomy it would take to get
    >> down to your level of understanding.

    > Fixed your top post for you cluebie. Another lesson you'll fail to
    > understand.
    >
    >> May be, but may be that he isnt so smart to help the PhD. Why are you
    >> replying to posts if you dont want to help?
    >>

    > That you don't recognize the help is a failure on your part.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > GMail, Google Goobers and Web to Usenet gateway users.
    > This century's answers to AOL and WebTV.

  16. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Tweetie Pooh wrote:
    > No prizes for guessing I'm a KDE user, don't like GNOME but there are those
    > who do. The trouble is that fans of GNOME dislike KDE for the same reasons
    > fans of KDE like it and visa versa.

    Well, both fans are right to dislike the other. There can be only one
    and that is Windowmaker

    houghi
    --
    Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
    mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.

  17. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic wrote:

    > Ok I dont want to argue. What do you think what is better KDE or GNOME

    Epic fail and trying to start a flamewar. Plonk.

    houghi
    --
    Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
    mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.

  18. Re: GNOME or KDE

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:07:52 +0200, Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic wrote:
    > What do you think what is better KDE or GNOME

    Better for what purpose? If you do not define the parameters of
    your question, then it is impossible to answer.

    Now if you meant what is your "personal preference" as opposed
    to "what do you think is better", then you are going to hear
    lots of different opinions.

    Personally, I prefer the feel of the Gnome desktop to that of KDE,
    because, perhaps wrongly, I always "felt" that KDE was top heavy
    in terms of the personal preference configuration.

    And then one can consider is Gnome better with Metacity as the window
    manager, or Sawfish as the window manager, or Openbox as the window
    manager.

    For somebody who has not used a Linux desktop before, I would suggest
    first trying Gnome, and then once you have become somewhat proficient,
    investigate the other desktops and window managers.

    I previously posted a site

    which provides details of most of the available desktops and window
    managers, so you really should have a read of that site and once you
    have some information decide which desktop is most suitable for your
    needs according to your circumstances and usage.

    Perhaps on some days of the week you will prefer a change of scenery
    and use the WindowMaker window manager, on others AfterStep, or on
    others Fluxbox.

    With the simple window managers like Fluxbox, you can add your own
    choice of desktop utilities and build own your own customized desktop
    managed environment.

    That is the huge difference over Windoze -- you have such a choice
    and you have all of the components freely available to do what is
    most appropriate to your own needs and preferences.

    To close on an analogy, what sort of response is somebody going to
    get if they go on to an automobile group and ask the question

    "Which is better, a Ford or a GM?"

  19. Re: GNOME or KDE

    J G Miller wrote:
    > > What do you think what is better KDE or GNOME

    > "Which is better, a Ford or a GM?"

    That analogy is exactly to the point. To turn it into a beer analogy one
    could ask which is better; Bud Light or Miller Light and then think yhe
    answer gives you the best beer.

    In all three cases, the answer is irrelevant. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
    mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.

  20. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic wrote:

    > What is GNOME and what is KDE

    Did you ever get this?