GNOME or KDE - Suse

This is a discussion on GNOME or KDE - Suse ; I know that but I am in Croatian translation team for KDE 4.0 -- Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com eit-hr.co.nr "DenverD" wrote in message news:48f38da4$0$15882$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.d k... > Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic wrote: >> Can I from OpenSUSE GNOME 11.0 upgrade to KDE ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 48 of 48

  1. Re: GNOME or KDE

    I know that but I am in Croatian translation team for KDE 4.0

    --
    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic
    a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    "DenverD" <"spam.trap\\REMOVE \"at\" SOME\\texan.dk"> wrote in message
    news:48f38da4$0$15882$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.d k...
    > Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic wrote:
    >> Can I from OpenSUSE GNOME 11.0 upgrade to KDE 4.0.

    > yes. in fact you may have both installed and used them both (one a at
    > time)..
    >
    > just go to YaST > Software Management and in the left pane click from
    > "Search"
    > to "Patterns" scroll to find the "Graphical Environments" section, and
    > click to
    > select KDE4 Base System and KDE Desktop for installation....then,
    > "Accept"..
    >
    > after it is finished you need to get to a log in screen to select KDE
    > instead of
    > Gnome....if you normally auto log in (that is, you if you don't do a sign
    > in to
    > get to Gnome) then you first have to disable the auto-login or at least
    > increase
    > the time so that you can catch it before it zips through..
    >
    > on 10.2 i do that open Personal Settings Configure Desktop > System
    > Administration > Login Manager > Convenience (tab) > Administrator Mode
    > (give
    > root password) then click to remove the X from "Enable Auto-Login" section
    > with
    > your user name, then click "Apply"
    >
    > close the setting manager, YaST and all open programs..
    > right click the desktop and select "Logout" then "End Current Session"
    > which
    > will cause X to shutdown and restart and run up to the login screen where
    > you
    > will enter your ID and password AFTER going to the bottom left of the
    > screen and
    > click on "Sessions" where you will see Gnome listed as the default, and
    > other
    > windows managers listed there...one should be KDE4, click it and log in..
    >
    > now, when you shut down it will have selected KDE4 as default....so, to
    > switch
    > to another you HAVE to select it..
    >
    > and, when you get to KDE4.0 good luck....it sucks! worse than beta
    > software...beware....if you really wanna give it a whirl you have to
    > upgrade to
    > 4.1 at least....i can't help you do that, as i am very happy with KDE
    > 3.5.x
    >
    > --
    > see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    > DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE 3.5.7,
    > SUSE
    > Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  2. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Can I download CD with OpenSUSE 11.0 KDE 4.0 and then install it over
    OpenSUSE 11.0 GNOME?

    --
    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic
    a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    eit-hr.co.nr
    "DenverD" <"spam.trap\\REMOVE \"at\" SOME\\texan.dk"> wrote in message
    news:48f38da4$0$15882$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.d k...
    > Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic wrote:
    >> Can I from OpenSUSE GNOME 11.0 upgrade to KDE 4.0.

    > yes. in fact you may have both installed and used them both (one a at
    > time)..
    >
    > just go to YaST > Software Management and in the left pane click from
    > "Search"
    > to "Patterns" scroll to find the "Graphical Environments" section, and
    > click to
    > select KDE4 Base System and KDE Desktop for installation....then,
    > "Accept"..
    >
    > after it is finished you need to get to a log in screen to select KDE
    > instead of
    > Gnome....if you normally auto log in (that is, you if you don't do a sign
    > in to
    > get to Gnome) then you first have to disable the auto-login or at least
    > increase
    > the time so that you can catch it before it zips through..
    >
    > on 10.2 i do that open Personal Settings Configure Desktop > System
    > Administration > Login Manager > Convenience (tab) > Administrator Mode
    > (give
    > root password) then click to remove the X from "Enable Auto-Login" section
    > with
    > your user name, then click "Apply"
    >
    > close the setting manager, YaST and all open programs..
    > right click the desktop and select "Logout" then "End Current Session"
    > which
    > will cause X to shutdown and restart and run up to the login screen where
    > you
    > will enter your ID and password AFTER going to the bottom left of the
    > screen and
    > click on "Sessions" where you will see Gnome listed as the default, and
    > other
    > windows managers listed there...one should be KDE4, click it and log in..
    >
    > now, when you shut down it will have selected KDE4 as default....so, to
    > switch
    > to another you HAVE to select it..
    >
    > and, when you get to KDE4.0 good luck....it sucks! worse than beta
    > software...beware....if you really wanna give it a whirl you have to
    > upgrade to
    > 4.1 at least....i can't help you do that, as i am very happy with KDE
    > 3.5.x
    >
    > --
    > see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    > DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE 3.5.7,
    > SUSE
    > Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  3. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic wrote:
    > Can I download CD with OpenSUSE 11.0 KDE 4.0 and then install it over
    > OpenSUSE 11.0 GNOME?

    of course, translator.
    but, why would you when all you have to do is install KDE4?

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE 3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3,
    2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  4. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    > What is GNOME and what is KDE

    One is a intuitive easy to use desktop manager for Linux and UNIX systems.

    One is a desktop manager for Linux and UNIX systems.

    One is built with Qt (www.trolltech.com) as the underlying libraries.

    One is built with GTK+ as the underlying libraries.

    One was originally designed by Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena.

    One was originally designed by Mattias Ettrich.

    HTH!

    government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and
    statutes and 1% logic

  5. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Bill wrote:

    > In article <48f3986b$0$7344$a726171b@news.hal-pc.org>,
    > Larry@DoubleLuck.com says...
    >> Bill wrote:
    >> > That's like asking which is the better hammer, ball-peen or claw?
    >> > What kind of wood are you trying to cut?

    >> Err... Uh... I normally cut wood with a SAW, not a hammer...
    >>
    >> OTOH, I have always heard that if the only tool you have is a hammer, it
    >> does not take long before every problem you encounter starts to look like
    >> a nail.
    >>

    > Now you're beginning to think like the OP.
    >
    > Bill

    Which is better --- a hammer or a saw?

  6. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic schrieb:
    > Can I download CD with OpenSUSE 11.0 KDE 4.0 and then install it over
    > OpenSUSE 11.0 GNOME?

    No hard feelings, but does the OpenSuse translation team sometimes work
    with the OpenSuse user team?
    What you use to install OpenSuse contains Gnome AND KDE. So if you have
    OpenSuse installed with Gnome, just go to Yast Software Management and
    pick KDE 4 (as described by DenverD). Gnome and KDE are not mutually
    exclusive. They get on quite well. Actually, they live on the same DVD.

    Luca

  7. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Luca wrote:
    > Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic schrieb:
    >> Can I download CD with OpenSUSE 11.0 KDE 4.0 and then install it over
    >> OpenSUSE 11.0 GNOME?

    > No hard feelings, but does the OpenSuse translation team sometimes work
    > with the OpenSuse user team?
    > What you use to install OpenSuse contains Gnome AND KDE. So if you have
    > OpenSuse installed with Gnome, just go to Yast Software Management and
    > pick KDE 4 (as described by DenverD). Gnome and KDE are not mutually
    > exclusive. They get on quite well. Actually, they live on the same DVD.

    Yeah, but HE was talking CD, and there is a KDE4 CD and a different
    Gnome one (they just don't fit together on a single CD).
    So like *Ubuntu he probably was assuming that they were mutual
    incompatible.

    To the OP: in openSUSE 11.0 KDE 3, KDE 4 and Gnome all live happily
    together and as Luca already mentioned: they are all on the DVD image.
    If you use(d) one of the CD images, you can get whatever is NOT on
    that CD by pulling it in from the OSS repo (by Yast, zypper or
    whatever you fancy).
    The 4.0 on the DVD _is_ still a pre-release though, you have to use
    the repos anyway (I _think_ KDE4:Stable) to update it to a more
    usable version.
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  8. Re: GNOME or KDE

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 07:10:28 +0200, DenverD wrote:

    >> What is GNOME and what is KDE

    > sorry you got flamed for your question...it is a typical new guy Q that most
    > here have heard a thousand times...and are tired of hearing it, and the answers..
    >
    > the short answer is: gnome and kde are competing open source desktops...some say
    > gnome is more like Apple[tm] while kde is more like Windows[tm]...but neither
    > are either, because both are better--once you get used to them and know how to
    > tweak them to YOUR needs (NOT the needs of someone, or group of someones, in
    > Apple[tm] or Windows[tm] who then locks down the choices, and lock you out of
    > your desktop)..

    I actually find KDE to be similar in some aspects to that of the old HP-UX
    desktop CDE. The Window-config app will certainly allow me to create a CDE
    look-and-feel.

    > there are many ready to fight to prove their choice is the

    best
    > one...and, there are many (as you have seen) who are quick to point out
    > that those are only TWO of *many* competing desktops available..
    >
    > anything more and you need to start seeing screen shots (which is why
    > you got directions to web sites and google)..
    >
    > it is rather easy to have both desktops (and others) installed and
    > switch between them until YOU learn what is best for YOU and YOUR
    > NEEDS..

    I installed Fedora Core 9 and SPECIFICALLY did not install Gnome. I also
    requested the other window managers (KDE, icewm, fvwm, etc). Instead, what
    I got was... GNOME! (Damn I hate Gnome!). No amount of tweaking would
    prevent that blasphemous install from occuring. So I moved over to SuSE. I
    have never looked back!

    > my free advice is: stay AWAY from KDE4.0 which is included in SUSE 11.0
    > because it is just NOT ready for prime time (boloated, slow, hangs,
    > freezes, dead ends, features that dont work, etc etc etc)...it is
    > possible to upgrade to (somethi8ng like) KDE4.1.x but, you will have
    > thrown your machine off a tall building before you figure out how to get
    > all the upgrades done...KDE4 is a WORK IN PROGRESS that folks new to
    > Linux should AVOID, for now...therefore, if you want to try KDE/Gnome on
    > SUSE, install with the DVD and elect to install KDE3.5.x and Gnome (and
    > all the others you might wanna try)

    One thing I noticed is that as the number of 'goodies' are included in a
    given distro (FC, ubuntu, SuSE) the memory requirements seem to escalate
    upward in order to execute the various applications in a sufficently
    quick manner. In some ways, the *nix developers are dumbing down the OS to
    appeal to the M$ devotees. :^)

    > and, you can find less snark in the 'official' openSUSE run forums which
    > are accessible both via nntp and http, see:
    >
    > http://forums.opensuse.org/faq.php?s...l&titlesonly=0
    > which tells all you need to know about the nntp side....amazingly,
    > simple to find the 'front page' of the http side at:
    > http://forums.opensuse.org/
    >
    > hmmmm, they are both less snarky AND less technically flush with
    > experience....careful or you will get both BAD ADVICE and bubble gum on
    > your keys..(i promise, i've seen guys arrive there with a question like
    > yours AND acknowledged NO EXPERIENCE with *nix, and a month later giving
    > tips on how to fix stuff (with NO idea what is going on, but they SOUND
    > like the do--BEWARE!!)

    They must have worked at M$, or maybe even, god help us, SCO!

    > oh, here is your gnome vs kde question, discussed in excruciating detail
    > (and bubble gum) within the openSUSE forum, enjoy:
    > http://forums.opensuse.org/surveys-p...me-vs-kde.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3