GNOME or KDE - Suse

This is a discussion on GNOME or KDE - Suse ; houghi wrote: >> > What do you think what is better KDE or GNOME >> "Which is better, a Ford or a GM?" > > That analogy is exactly to the point. To turn it into a beer analogy one ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

  1. Re: GNOME or KDE

    houghi wrote:

    >> > What do you think what is better KDE or GNOME

    >> "Which is better, a Ford or a GM?"

    > That analogy is exactly to the point. To turn it into a beer analogy one
    > could ask which is better; Bud Light or Miller Light and then think yhe
    > answer gives you the best beer.
    >
    > In all three cases, the answer is irrelevant. ;-)

    and Chrysler is talking merger with GM, my gosh what would happen to the
    Ford vs. Chevy debate if they even begun talking to each other ;-)
    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  2. Re: GNOME or KDE

    houghi wrote:

    > Tweetie Pooh wrote:
    >> No prizes for guessing I'm a KDE user, don't like GNOME but there are
    >> those
    >> who do. The trouble is that fans of GNOME dislike KDE for the same
    >> reasons fans of KDE like it and visa versa.

    > Well, both fans are right to dislike the other. There can be only one
    > and that is Windowmaker
    >
    > houghi

    OK. I'm curious. What would you see as the main three benefits? I'm probably
    missing some important features, but all I can see is that it seems light
    on functionality and I can't find anything like the KDE panel. I must be
    missing the point.

    Chris Gordon-Smith
    www.simsoup.info

  3. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:
    > OK. I'm curious. What would you see as the main three benefits?

    1) It does not kill puppies like KDE does
    2) It does not kill kittens like GNMOME does
    3) It does what it must do, show programs. Nothing more

    > I'm probably missing some important features, but all I can see is
    > that it seems light on functionality and I can't find anything like
    > the KDE panel. I must be missing the point.

    Yes, You make it sound as if missing a panel would be a bad thing. Next
    you are going to say that not having icons on your desktop is bad as
    well.

    houghi
    --
    "Other than the fact Linux has a cool name, could someone explain why I should
    use Linux over BSD? No. That's it. The cool name, that is. We worked very hard

  4. Re: GNOME or KDE

    In article , a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    says...
    > Ok I dont want to argue. What do you think what is better KDE or GNOME

    That's like asking which is the better hammer, ball-peen or claw?
    What kind of wood are you trying to cut?

    Bill
    --
    GMail, Google Goobers and Web to Usenet gateway users.
    This century's answers to AOL and WebTV.

  5. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Bill wrote:
    > That's like asking which is the better hammer, ball-peen or claw?
    > What kind of wood are you trying to cut?

    When I have wood, I let nobody cut it. What is wrong with you? ;-)

    houghi
    --
    "Other than the fact Linux has a cool name, could someone explain why I should
    use Linux over BSD? No. That's it. The cool name, that is. We worked very hard
    on creating a name that would appeal to the majority of people, and it
    certainly paid off [...] -- Linus Torvalds

  6. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic schrieb:
    > What is GNOME and what is KDE

    In addition to what everybody else said, I'd like to point out that even
    if you decide to stick with one of the two, for instance KDE, you can
    still add on GNOME and its apps later on, just like you do with KDE
    apps. You can have both installed and switch back and forth between them
    every time you log on. Or you log onto KDE and then use GnomeBaker to
    burn your CDs. They're not completely different universes, they're just
    graphic surfaces that come with their own set of applications.

    I started out with Gnome cos it felt a bit cleaner and less crammed and
    then gradually switched to KDE cos I was looking for more options and
    stuff. At least that's what I though KDE had more to offer of.

    I guess there's no way that will save you the test drive of both.

    Luca

  7. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Luca wrote:
    > I started out with Gnome cos it felt a bit cleaner and less crammed and
    > then gradually switched to KDE cos I was looking for more options and
    > stuff. At least that's what I though KDE had more to offer of.

    I started out with Enlghtenment. That was good. It was just a pain to
    configure, so I looked for something else. After some testing, I got to
    Windowmaker, which does almost exactly what I want and need.

    I have also tested XFCE for several months, but that was only almost
    good. KDE and GNOME have none of the advantages that I want and the
    advatages that they have are disadvantages to me.

    That does not mean I do not run any KDE or GNOME programs, because I run
    both and often at the same time.

    --
    houghi

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  8. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Can I from OpenSUSE GNOME 11.0 upgrade to KDE 4.0.

    --
    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic
    a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com

    "Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic" wrote in message
    > What is GNOME and what is KDE
    >
    > --
    > Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic
    > a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    > eit-hr.co.nr

  9. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Andrei Zvonimir Crnkovic wrote:
    > Can I from OpenSUSE GNOME 11.0 upgrade to KDE 4.0.

    yes. in fact you may have both installed and used them both (one a at time)..

    just go to YaST > Software Management and in the left pane click from "Search"
    to "Patterns" scroll to find the "Graphical Environments" section, and click to
    select KDE4 Base System and KDE Desktop for installation....then, "Accept"..

    after it is finished you need to get to a log in screen to select KDE instead of
    Gnome....if you normally auto log in (that is, you if you don't do a sign in to
    get to Gnome) then you first have to disable the auto-login or at least increase
    the time so that you can catch it before it zips through..

    on 10.2 i do that open Personal Settings Configure Desktop > System
    Administration > Login Manager > Convenience (tab) > Administrator Mode (give
    root password) then click to remove the X from "Enable Auto-Login" section with
    your user name, then click "Apply"

    close the setting manager, YaST and all open programs..
    right click the desktop and select "Logout" then "End Current Session" which
    will cause X to shutdown and restart and run up to the login screen where you
    will enter your ID and password AFTER going to the bottom left of the screen and
    click on "Sessions" where you will see Gnome listed as the default, and other
    windows managers listed there...one should be KDE4, click it and log in..

    now, when you shut down it will have selected KDE4 as default....so, to switch
    to another you HAVE to select it..

    and, when you get to KDE4.0 good luck....it sucks! worse than beta
    software...beware....if you really wanna give it a whirl you have to upgrade to
    4.1 at least....i can't help you do that, as i am very happy with KDE 3.5.x

    --
    see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE 3.5.7, SUSE

  10. Re: GNOME or KDE

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:08:14 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> That's like asking which is the better hammer, ball-peen or claw?
    >> What kind of wood are you trying to cut?

    > When I have wood, I let nobody cut it. What is wrong with you? ;-)

    ROFL :-D

    --
    Rob
    http://www.uicstock.org.uk/

  11. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Bill wrote:
    > That's like asking which is the better hammer, ball-peen or claw?
    > What kind of wood are you trying to cut?

    Err... Uh... I normally cut wood with a SAW, not a hammer...

    OTOH, I have always heard that if the only tool you have is a hammer, it
    does not take long before every problem you encounter starts to look like a
    nail.

  12. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Nope - I'm no wiser. Is this ****ney rhyming slang?

    > 3) It does what it must do, show programs. Nothing more

    That would be a minimalist approach.

    >> I'm probably missing some important features, but all I can see is
    >> that it seems light on functionality and I can't find anything like
    >> the KDE panel. I must be missing the point.

    > Yes, You make it sound as if missing a panel would be a bad thing. Next
    > you are going to say that not having icons on your desktop is bad as
    > well.
    >
    > houghi

  13. Re: GNOME or KDE

    Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:
    >>> OK. I'm curious. What would you see as the main three benefits?

    >> 1) It does not kill puppies like KDE does
    >> 2) It does not kill kittens like GNMOME does

    > Nope - I'm no wiser. Is this ****ney rhyming slang?

    Each time you launch KDE a puppy gets killed. Each time you launch GNOME
    a kitten gets killed. These are known facts. KDE and GNOME have
    perfected the way to keep this silent.

    Governements often just deny that things happen or have happend. They
    are smarter, they do neither deny or confirm it. But it is true, realy.

    houghi
    --
    "Other than the fact Linux has a cool name, could someone explain why I should
    use Linux over BSD? No. That's it. The cool name, that is. We worked very hard
    on creating a name that would appeal to the majority of people, and it
    certainly paid off [...] -- Linus Torvalds

  14. Re: GNOME or KDE

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:35:01 +0100, Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:
    > I can't find anything like the KDE panel.

    But do you actually need a panel?

    The most important item on any "panel" is the pager.

    Windowmaker's pager is the device named the "clip" which usually sits
    in one of the four corners of the screen, according to your own
    preference.

    (Is the term "clip" derived from "paperclip", by the way?)

    > I must be missing the point.

    Perhaps if you are missing and cannot live without a panel,
    you could run your own panel, eg fbpanel?

    Although windowmaker does not appear to be officially compatible with
    fbpanel.

    And then there are all the nifty "WM" dockable launcher applications.

    How come nobody has mentioned icewm, a light weight window manager (which
    includes a panel) and for which, lots of interesting themes are available?

  15. Re: GNOME or KDE

    J G Miller wrote:
    > The most important item on any "panel" is the pager.

    The what now? Isn't that people on a tv show?

    > Windowmaker's pager is the device named the "clip" which usually sits
    > in one of the four corners of the screen, according to your own
    > preference.

    I have it but actualy never use it. On some of my screens I do not even
    have that anymore.

    > (Is the term "clip" derived from "paperclip", by the way?)

    Probably, the name clippy was already taken.

    > > I must be missing the point.

    > Perhaps if you are missing and cannot live without a panel,
    > you could run your own panel, eg fbpanel?

    Looked it up. Brrr.

    > Although windowmaker does not appear to be officially compatible with
    > fbpanel.
    >
    > And then there are all the nifty "WM" dockable launcher applications.

    I use the popup and lauch by typing the command most of the time or use
    shortcuts, but then most programs are already open when I lauch it. 2 x
    6 and 1 x 4 desktops. 28 desktops with a variation of programs.
    I also have wmdrawer and wmpanel.

    > How come nobody has mentioned icewm, a light weight window manager (which
    > includes a panel) and for which, lots of interesting themes are available?

    With 50.000 wallpapers, there is no real need for many themes for me.
    :-D

    And I never liked the panel. It is getting better and perhaps in a few
    versions it can do what it must do for me, but not for now.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.

  16. Re: GNOME or KDE

    In article <48f3986b$0$7344$a726171b@news.hal-pc.org>,
    Larry@DoubleLuck.com says...
    > Bill wrote:
    > > That's like asking which is the better hammer, ball-peen or claw?
    > > What kind of wood are you trying to cut?

    > Err... Uh... I normally cut wood with a SAW, not a hammer...
    >
    > OTOH, I have always heard that if the only tool you have is a hammer, it
    > does not take long before every problem you encounter starts to look like a
    > nail.

    Now you're beginning to think like the OP.

    Bill
    --
    GMail, Google Goobers and Web to Usenet gateway users.
    This century's answers to AOL and WebTV.

  17. Re: GNOME or KDE

    In article ,
    houghi@houghi.org.invalid says...
    > Bill wrote:
    > > That's like asking which is the better hammer, ball-peen or claw?
    > > What kind of wood are you trying to cut?

    > When I have wood, I let nobody cut it. What is wrong with you? ;-)
    >
    > houghi

    Perhaps gnawed would have been a better application in your case?

    Bill
    --
    GMail, Google Goobers and Web to Usenet gateway users.
    This century's answers to AOL and WebTV.

  18. Re: GNOME or KDE

    In article , a.z.crnkovic@gmail.com
    says...
    > Can I from OpenSUSE GNOME 11.0 upgrade to KDE 4.0.

    Smack me, an actual, answerable question!

    Yes. Use Yast to do it.

    Bill
    --
    GMail, Google Goobers and Web to Usenet gateway users.
    This century's answers to AOL and WebTV.

  19. Re: GNOME or KDE

    In article ,
    houghi@houghi.org.invalid says...
    > Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:
    > >

    > > houghi wrote:

    > >> 1) It does not kill puppies like KDE does
    > >> 2) It does not kill kittens like GNMOME does

    > > Nope - I'm no wiser. Is this ****ney rhyming slang?

    > Each time you launch KDE a puppy gets killed. Each time you launch GNOME
    > a kitten gets killed. These are known facts. KDE and GNOME have
    > perfected the way to keep this silent.
    >
    > Governements often just deny that things happen or have happend. They
    > are smarter, they do neither deny or confirm it. But it is true, realy.
    >
    > houghi

    If I use the CLI does a googlegoober bite the dust?

    Bill
    --
    GMail, Google Goobers and Web to Usenet gateway users.
    This century's answers to AOL and WebTV.

  20. Re: GNOME or KDE

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
    <1500101.5uPsQTT2zX@spooker>, Patrick Phillips wrote:

    >>> "Which is better, a Ford or a GM?"

    >> That analogy is exactly to the point. To turn it into a beer analogy
    >> one could ask which is better; Bud Light or Miller Light and then
    >> think yhe answer gives you the best beer.

    But neither is a beer - one is watered down horse piss, the other is
    watered down beaver piss.

    >> In all three cases, the answer is irrelevant. ;-)

    Given those choices - quite true. KDE/GNOME, Ford/GM, and Bud/Miller
    are competing for the "most" customers, and you do that by appealing
    to the Homer Simpsons of the world. Who do you think Gates is aiming
    at with those "I'm a PC" ads? Someone with more than two brain cells?

    >and Chrysler is talking merger with GM, my gosh what would happen to
    >the Ford vs. Chevy debate if they even begun talking to each other ;-)

    Where have you been hiding?

    >Patrick...at
    >Latitude: 40.48*
    >Longitude: -88.95*

    Boonies outside Bloomington? Actually, there were exploratory talks
    between Ford and GM in 2006 as well as earlier this year. They went
    no-where then (and I doubt they're going anywhere now) because
    combining two bags of crap into one still results in a (larger) bag of
    crap. The business model of all three American car makers was out of
    touch with reality since the 1960s, which is probably the last time
    any of them made a decent vehicle.

    Old guy