Why I had problems - Suse

This is a discussion on Why I had problems - Suse ; Le Thu, 16 Oct 2008 05:33:31 +0200, Kevin Nathan a écrit: > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:52:33 +0200 > houghi wrote: > >> The list: > >> Hash table. Unsure what it does, so not sure what the equivalent ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Why I had problems

    écrit:

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:52:33 +0200
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> The list:

    >> Hash table. Unsure what it does, so not sure what the equivalent is in
    >> bash.

    > Perl and awk for two. Think of a hash table as being an array with
    > named subscripts instead of numbered ones:
    >
    > [
    > apples => 3,
    > bananas => -14,
    > kiwi => fruit,
    > ]
    >

    >> Multi-dimensional arrays. Indeed not available in bash.

    > Perl definitely. It's been a while since I've used awk, but I'm sure it
    > has them, too, IIRC. You can even simulate them with a little (a lot?)
    > of work in BASH scripting.
    >
    >> Named Parameter: I use something like that in my scripts. However that
    >> calls something else.

    > Again, perl -- with Getopt::Long.

    +1 for perl.

    --
    TT

  2. Re: Why I had problems

    On Oct 15, 7:08*am, DenverD <"spam.trap\\REMOVE \"at\" SOME\
    \texan.dk"> wrote:
    > > BTW - the team are huge BASH fans and we have benefited greatly from
    > > it and the other great work that has gone
    > > before us. *

    > ah yes, Redmond 'innovating' as they do best: "benefiting greatly" by mimicking
    > the original work of others..

    Would you throw the same rock at BASH? CSH? KSH? ZSH?
    After all, they "mimicked" SH.

    Of course not. They absolutely benefited from SH and they each built
    upon it and moved the ball forward to everyone's benefit. Saying that
    they benefited from SH honors SH but takes nothing away from them.

    We all stand on the shoulders of giants. If we are lucky, we have the
    opportunity to improve things a bit and inspire the next round of
    superstars that come after us.
    I find few things as awe-inspiring as this very human activity of
    accumulated innovation and progress.
    It is important to acknowledge and honor the important contributions
    of the superstars that went before us.

    Jeffrey Snover [MSFT]
    Windows Management Partner Architect
    Visit the Windows PowerShell Team blog at: http://blogs.msdn.com/PowerShell
    Visit the Windows PowerShell ScriptCenter at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr.../hubs/msh.mspx

  3. Re: Why I had problems

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 21:01:03 -0700, jsnover13 wrote:
    > Would you throw the same rock at BASH? CSH? KSH? ZSH? After all, they
    > "mimicked" SH.
    >
    > Of course not. They absolutely benefited from SH and they each built
    > upon it and moved the ball forward to everyone's benefit.

    It was only to everyone's benefit was these shells were made available
    with a GPL licence.

    Powershell can only be used if one has purchased a licence for
    a version of Windoze because it requires .NET.

    Ergo, the major benefit of Powershell is to stockholders of Microsoft
    Corporation.

  4. Re: Why I had problems

    jsnover13@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 15, 7:08 am, DenverD <"spam.trap\\REMOVE \"at\" SOME\
    > \texan.dk"> wrote:
    >>> BTW - the team are huge BASH fans and we have benefited greatly from
    >>> it and the other great work that has gone
    >>> before us.

    >> ah yes, Redmond 'innovating' as they do best: "benefiting greatly" by mimicking
    >> the original work of others..
    >>

    > Would you throw the same rock at BASH? CSH? KSH? ZSH?
    > After all, they "mimicked" SH.
    >
    > Of course not. They absolutely benefited from SH and they each built
    > upon it and moved the ball forward to everyone's benefit. Saying that
    > they benefited from SH honors SH but takes nothing away from them.
    >
    > We all stand on the shoulders of giants. If we are lucky, we have the
    > opportunity to improve things a bit and inspire the next round of
    > superstars that come after us.
    > I find few things as awe-inspiring as this very human activity of
    > accumulated innovation and progress.
    > It is important to acknowledge and honor the important contributions
    > of the superstars that went before us.
    >
    > Jeffrey Snover [MSFT]
    > Windows Management Partner Architect
    > Visit the Windows PowerShell Team blog at: http://blogs.msdn.com/PowerShell
    > Visit the Windows PowerShell ScriptCenter at:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr.../hubs/msh.mspx

    A: yes

    you "honor" none of the giants upon whose shoulder you stand when instead of
    noting their contributing in your EULA or licenses AND directly acknowledge them
    or their estate by flow cash to the tip jar of those giants your boss throws
    chairs and directs the entire operation to scheme ways to make it difficult,
    impossible or illegal for folks to offer competing, open sourced products for
    less cash..

    however, that said i do appreciate your willingness to come here openly, instead
    of as did the anonymous Redmond Shills who distributed FUD to the Warp community
    in the 90s..

    i have no desire to debate the pro & cons of closed vs open source here...but if
    you do i ask you to find another place to do it...here we talk other things.

    go away, or ask your linux question...there are some giants here (i am not one).

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE 3.5.7, SUSE Linux
    10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  5. Re: Why I had problems

    jsnover13@hotmail.com wrote:
    > We all stand on the shoulders of giants. If we are lucky, we have the
    > opportunity to improve things a bit and inspire the next round of
    > superstars that come after us.

    And how are we going to do that? At least legaly? If I see something in
    that program and I use it, if the program becomes successfull, I am sure
    that Microsoft legals department will not say: Great, you now stand on
    our shoulders. I am sure they will say that I need to hand over the
    code, fork over all my worldly possessions and then shoot myself in the
    knee.

    So please tell me how I can stand on Microsofts shoulders. Hey,
    sometimes they do have nice idea. Not all of them end up in a product,
    but still. It would then be nice to say: I can stand on Microsofts
    shoulders.

    As long as that is not happening, please do not use the excuse yourself.

    houghi
    --
    Nutze die Zeit. Sie ist das Kostbarste, was wir haben, denn
    es ist unwiederbringliche Lebenszeit. Leben ist aber mehr

  6. Re: Why I had problems

    DenverD wrote:
    > go away, or ask your linux question...there are some giants here (i am not one).

    I am a giant. At least in body mass.

    houghi
    --
    Nutze die Zeit. Sie ist das Kostbarste, was wir haben, denn
    es ist unwiederbringliche Lebenszeit. Leben ist aber mehr
    als Werk und Arbeit, und das Sein wichtiger als das Tun.
    - Johannes Muller-Elmau

  7. Re: Why I had problems

    In <48f98b56$0$15880$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.dk> DenverD:

    [Snip...]

    > go away, or ask your linux question

    Wow. M$ honchos astroturfing in aols. Windows 7 must be REALLY late.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2