Hi

I have an openSuSE 11 box with DNS, DHCP, Samba, LDAP and openvpn
running on it and i have a name resolution problem.

both DHCP and OpenVPN dynamically register names in a number of zones
in DNS. If I use named, hosts, dig etc then I can resolve these names.
However other utilities running on the local server cannot. For
example my dns can reslove myserver.mydomain.tld fine. However ping
can't if I don't put a record in the /etc/hosts file.

Whats even odder: I was experimenting with getting openvpn to register
clients in the dns It gave a client an ip of 10.8.1.52. I then changed
some settings with openvpn and it gave the client an address of
10.1.1.98. Both the forward and reverse lookups were successfully
unregistered by openvpn. I can see the additions in the log. This was
confirmed by a series of nslookups.

yet whilst nslookup of myvpnclient.mydomain.tld returned the correct
new address of 10.1.1.98 ping myvpnclient.mydomain.tld tried to send
packets to the old address of 10.8.1.52.

It's almost as if something is trying to cach resolved names on the
suse box.

I should point out that for all network and vpn clinets name
resolution works fine. They all use the dns server running on the
local machine.

I'm really stuck

/etc/host.conf looks like

##
# /etc/host.conf - resolver configuration file
#
# Please read the manual page host.conf(5) for more information.
#
#
# The following option is only used by binaries linked against
# libc4 or libc5. This line should be in sync with the "hosts"
# option in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
#
order hosts, bind
#
# The following options are used by the resolver library:
#
multi on

#
# hosts This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
# mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem. It is mostly
# used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
# On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
# "named" name server.
# Syntax:
#
# IP-Address Full-Qualified-Hostname Short-Hostname
#

127.0.0.1 localhost

# special IPv6 addresses
::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

fe00::0 ipv6-localnet

ff00::0 ipv6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ipv6-allnodes
ff02::2 ipv6-allrouters
ff02::3 ipv6-allhosts
127.0.0.2 myserver.mydomain.tld myserver
10.20.1.9 myserver myserver

Not sure about this file. it's ended up a bit of a mess from constant
fidding.

Thanks