which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400 - Suse

This is a discussion on which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400 - Suse ; Hi ,guys! recently I have a new Dell 530s with a Core2Duo E8400 CPU, since it's the first time that have a 64 bit cpu, i don't know should I choose 64 bit or 32 bit opensuse.specifically: 1, is 32 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    Hi ,guys!

    recently I have a new Dell 530s with a Core2Duo E8400 CPU, since it's
    the first time that have a 64 bit cpu, i don't know should I choose 64
    bit or 32 bit opensuse.specifically:

    1, is 32 bit linux can also be installed? and running well?
    2.I heard 64 bit OS will cause some problem ,like some program can not
    run on it, I am using JAVA,Ruby kind of things frequently, can you see
    any problem ?
    3. is 64bit OS performs much better than 32? i don't want to bother if
    it just support larger memory.

    thank you!

  2. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    Harry wrote:
    > Hi ,guys!
    >
    > recently I have a new Dell 530s with a Core2Duo E8400 CPU, since it's
    > the first time that have a 64 bit cpu, i don't know should I choose 64
    > bit or 32 bit opensuse.specifically:
    >
    > 1, is 32 bit linux can also be installed? and running well?

    Can run perfectly.

    > 2.I heard 64 bit OS will cause some problem ,like some program can not
    > run on it, I am using JAVA,Ruby kind of things frequently, can you see
    > any problem ?

    Not here.

    > 3. is 64bit OS performs much better than 32? i don't want to bother if
    > it just support larger memory.

    I have it, because otherwise it would not support my memory. But as
    always, why not try it out yourself and see what YOU think is best and
    tell us what your experience is.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  3. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    On 2008-10-08, Harry wrote:
    > Hi ,guys!
    >
    > recently I have a new Dell 530s with a Core2Duo E8400 CPU, since it's
    > the first time that have a 64 bit cpu, i don't know should I choose 64
    > bit or 32 bit opensuse.specifically:
    >
    > 1, is 32 bit linux can also be installed? and running well?
    > 2.I heard 64 bit OS will cause some problem ,like some program can not
    > run on it, I am using JAVA,Ruby kind of things frequently, can you see
    > any problem ?
    > 3. is 64bit OS performs much better than 32? i don't want to bother if
    > it just support larger memory.
    >
    > thank you!

    I'm running 64 bit also for the first time here, since like a couple of
    months maybe.

    Zero problems have been caused by that.

    There's an option to install also the 32 bit libraries during installation.
    Those a make also 32 bit programs run on the system. I did that and had
    no problems, I don't know if there had been any if I didn't

    I'm 100 per cent cool with my 11.0 system.

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  4. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    Harry schrieb:
    > Hi ,guys!
    >
    > recently I have a new Dell 530s with a Core2Duo E8400 CPU, since it's
    > the first time that have a 64 bit cpu, i don't know should I choose 64
    > bit or 32 bit opensuse.specifically:
    >
    > 1, is 32 bit linux can also be installed? and running well?
    > 2.I heard 64 bit OS will cause some problem ,like some program can not
    > run on it, I am using JAVA,Ruby kind of things frequently, can you see
    > any problem ?
    > 3. is 64bit OS performs much better than 32? i don't want to bother if
    > it just support larger memory.
    >
    > thank you!

    One problem is that there is still no Java plugin for 64bit. See:

    http://www.java.com/de/download/manual.jsp#lin

    So you will have to run a 32bit firefox as me if you want it.

    Ciao

    Karl

  5. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    karl schrieb:
    > Harry schrieb:
    >> Hi ,guys!
    >>
    >> recently I have a new Dell 530s with a Core2Duo E8400 CPU, since it's
    >> the first time that have a 64 bit cpu, i don't know should I choose 64
    >> bit or 32 bit opensuse.specifically:
    >>
    >> 1, is 32 bit linux can also be installed? and running well?
    >> 2.I heard 64 bit OS will cause some problem ,like some program can not
    >> run on it, I am using JAVA,Ruby kind of things frequently, can you see
    >> any problem ?
    >> 3. is 64bit OS performs much better than 32? i don't want to bother if
    >> it just support larger memory.
    >>
    >> thank you!

    > One problem is that there is still no Java plugin for 64bit. See:
    >
    > http://www.java.com/de/download/manual.jsp#lin
    >
    > So you will have to run a 32bit firefox as me if you want it.
    >
    > Ciao
    >
    > Karl

    That was the German download site, sorry. Here in English

    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp#lin

  6. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    Harry wrote:
    > 3. is 64bit OS performs much better than 32? i don't want to bother if
    > it just support larger memory.

    In machines with "up to 3 and a bit" GB of RAM: no, it doesn't perform
    better. From 4GB onwards: only 64-bits kernels can use that much amount
    of RAM without a performance penalty (32-bits with Physical Address
    Extensions _can_ make use of it, but at a cost as it has to be addressed
    as multiple 4GB segments (just as the 8086 did with 64 KB segments).

    Your other questions have been answered already.
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  7. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    karl wrote:
    > One problem is that there is still no Java plugin for 64bit. See:
    >
    > http://www.java.com/de/download/manual.jsp#lin
    >
    > So you will have to run a 32bit firefox as me if you want it.

    I have done nothing like that. So where would I expect problems? Can
    you point out a site where this might happen, as I did not notice
    anything yet.

    I certainly have not installed anything from java.com

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  8. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    houghi schrieb:
    > karl wrote:
    >> One problem is that there is still no Java plugin for 64bit. See:
    >>
    >> http://www.java.com/de/download/manual.jsp#lin
    >>
    >> So you will have to run a 32bit firefox as me if you want it.

    > I have done nothing like that. So where would I expect problems? Can
    > you point out a site where this might happen, as I did not notice
    > anything yet.
    >
    > I certainly have not installed anything from java.com
    >
    > houghi

    If you install 64bit firefox, there is no java plugin for it for the
    Sun java. See the java site, they say there:

    "Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support"

    Is this clear enough?

    Ciao

    Karl

  9. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    Eef Hartman wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >> 3. is 64bit OS performs much better than 32? i don't want to bother if
    >> it just support larger memory.

    > In machines with "up to 3 and a bit" GB of RAM: no, it doesn't perform
    > better.

    My experience is different. I have less than 3 GB mem, and the machine
    *does* perform better in 64bits.
    Depending on type of app the performance is between 5% (not noticeable) to
    40% (very noticeable) better than with the 32bit version

    > From 4GB onwards: only 64-bits kernels can use that much amount
    > of RAM without a performance penalty (32-bits with Physical Address
    > Extensions _can_ make use of it, but at a cost as it has to be addressed
    > as multiple 4GB segments (just as the 8086 did with 64 KB segments).
    >
    > Your other questions have been answered already.

    --
    Ninety percent of the time things will turn out worse than you expect.
    The other 10 percent of the time you had no right to expect so much.

  10. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    On 2008-10-09, houghi wrote:
    > karl wrote:
    >> One problem is that there is still no Java plugin for 64bit. See:
    >>
    >> http://www.java.com/de/download/manual.jsp#lin
    >>
    >> So you will have to run a 32bit firefox as me if you want it.

    > I have done nothing like that. So where would I expect problems? Can
    > you point out a site where this might happen, as I did not notice
    > anything yet.
    >
    > I certainly have not installed anything from java.com

    I must be as thick as you. I have not seen or noticed any problems
    either.

    My FF works just fine.

    Maybe someone can post a URL where I need some extra hacks to be able to
    see a page?

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  11. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    karl wrote:
    >> I have done nothing like that. So where would I expect problems? Can
    >> you point out a site where this might happen, as I did not notice
    >> anything yet.
    >>
    >> I certainly have not installed anything from java.com
    >>

    > If you install 64bit firefox, there is no java plugin for it for the
    > Sun java. See the java site, they say there:
    >
    > "Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support"
    >
    > Is this clear enough?

    OK, I will check when I am at my PC. So it is only the Java website that
    complains about it? I have not seen anything on any other place. Or
    perhaps zypper/YaST/openSUSE installed the 32 bit for me.

    Anyway, I never had any site complain to me about not having Java.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  12. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    Vahis wrote:
    > On 2008-10-09, houghi wrote:
    >> karl wrote:
    >>> One problem is that there is still no Java plugin for 64bit. See:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.java.com/de/download/manual.jsp#lin
    >>>
    >>> So you will have to run a 32bit firefox as me if you want it.

    >> I have done nothing like that. So where would I expect problems? Can
    >> you point out a site where this might happen, as I did not notice
    >> anything yet.
    >>
    >> I certainly have not installed anything from java.com

    > I must be as thick as you. I have not seen or noticed any problems
    > either.
    >
    > My FF works just fine.
    >
    > Maybe someone can post a URL where I need some extra hacks to be able to
    > see a page?

    some banks uses a java applet to access an on hard drive encrypted file to
    verify identity..

    that may (or may not) be the same system used

    i know in Denmark the largest bank uses it, but i
    don't think you can verify a problem with your 64 bit FF unless you open an
    account og larer dansk [and learn danish)] ;-)

    in fact, i wasn't even able to use a 32 FF with it, and their phone help was no
    help since they only support that other OS....so, i changed banks.

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE 3.5.7, SUSE
    Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  13. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    Vahis schrieb:
    > On 2008-10-09, houghi wrote:
    >> karl wrote:
    >>> One problem is that there is still no Java plugin for 64bit. See:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.java.com/de/download/manual.jsp#lin
    >>>
    >>> So you will have to run a 32bit firefox as me if you want it.

    >> I have done nothing like that. So where would I expect problems? Can
    >> you point out a site where this might happen, as I did not notice
    >> anything yet.
    >>
    >> I certainly have not installed anything from java.com

    > I must be as thick as you. I have not seen or noticed any problems
    > either.
    >
    > My FF works just fine.
    >
    > Maybe someone can post a URL where I need some extra hacks to be able to
    > see a page?

    I just produced the fact that on the java sun website it is written:

    "Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support"

    If you want to find pages where you need this, go to the java sites.
    They have them.

    Maybe you have a 32bit FF or/and a very old java. Did you check?

    If not, write to the Vatican that it will be recognized as a miracle.

    Ciao

    Karl

  14. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    houghi schrieb:

    >> "Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support"
    >>
    >> Is this clear enough?

    > OK, I will check when I am at my PC. So it is only the Java website that
    > complains about it? I have not seen anything on any other place. Or
    > perhaps zypper/YaST/openSUSE installed the 32 bit for me.

    If you don't know it if you have a 32 or 64 bit FF, why you are
    complaining that I just reported a fact from the java website?

    Ciao

    Karl

  15. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    On 2008-10-09, houghi wrote:
    > karl wrote:
    >>> I have done nothing like that. So where would I expect problems? Can
    >>> you point out a site where this might happen, as I did not notice
    >>> anything yet.
    >>>
    >>> I certainly have not installed anything from java.com
    >>>

    >> If you install 64bit firefox, there is no java plugin for it for the
    >> Sun java. See the java site, they say there:
    >>
    >> "Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support"
    >>
    >> Is this clear enough?

    > OK, I will check when I am at my PC. So it is only the Java website that
    > complains about it? I have not seen anything on any other place. Or
    > perhaps zypper/YaST/openSUSE installed the 32 bit for me.

    Here's mine (Help > About Firefox):

    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008091700
    SUSE/3.0.3-1.1 Firefox/3.0.3

    > Anyway, I never had any site complain to me about not having Java.

    Me neither

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  16. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    karl wrote:
    > I just produced the fact that on the java sun website it is written:
    >
    > "Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support"
    >
    > If you want to find pages where you need this, go to the java sites.
    > They have them.
    >
    > Maybe you have a 32bit FF or/and a very old java. Did you check?
    >
    > If not, write to the Vatican that it will be recognized as a miracle.

    Do you have an adress?

    houghi@pasta : java -version
    java version "1.6.0_07"
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)

    Also when looking at http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp I see
    som x64 stuff as well.

    Obviously it could be that their website is not up to date.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  17. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    Vahis schrieb:

    >>> If you install 64bit firefox, there is no java plugin for it for the
    >>> Sun java. See the java site, they say there:
    >>>
    >>> "Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support"
    >>>
    >>> Is this clear enough?

    >> OK, I will check when I am at my PC. So it is only the Java website that
    >> complains about it? I have not seen anything on any other place. Or
    >> perhaps zypper/YaST/openSUSE installed the 32 bit for me.

    > Here's mine (Help > About Firefox):
    >
    > Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008091700
    > SUSE/3.0.3-1.1 Firefox/3.0.3
    >> Anyway, I never had any site complain to me about not having Java.
    >>

    > Me neither

    Report it to the Vatican that it will be recognized as a miracle.

  18. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    karl wrote:
    > If you don't know it if you have a 32 or 64 bit FF, why you are
    > complaining that I just reported a fact from the java website?

    This is not about one website working or not. This is about the fact
    that it was claimed that it does not work at all and that you must
    install the 32 bit version of the browser and Java.

    Even IF I would be running 32 bit, it is not something I have done
    myself. So for me all sites seem to work, without doing anything
    special. I did not need to instal 32 bit from anywhere, because if
    anything, it was already there.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  19. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    On 2008-10-09, karl wrote:
    > houghi schrieb:
    >> karl wrote:
    >>> One problem is that there is still no Java plugin for 64bit. See:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.java.com/de/download/manual.jsp#lin
    >>>
    >>> So you will have to run a 32bit firefox as me if you want it.

    >> I have done nothing like that. So where would I expect problems? Can
    >> you point out a site where this might happen, as I did not notice
    >> anything yet.
    >>
    >> I certainly have not installed anything from java.com
    >>
    >> houghi

    > If you install 64bit firefox, there is no java plugin for it for the
    > Sun java. See the java site, they say there:
    >
    > "Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support"
    >
    > Is this clear enough?

    It's not for me.
    They are saying that 32 bit java should be used.
    They are not saying anything about Firefox there.

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

  20. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    Vahis wrote:
    > It's not for me.
    > They are saying that 32 bit java should be used.
    > They are not saying anything about Firefox there.

    Vahis, we must be doing something wrong, because everything just works.

    houghi