Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    On 2008-10-09, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> It's not for me.
    >> They are saying that 32 bit java should be used.
    >> They are not saying anything about Firefox there.

    > Vahis, we must be doing something wrong, because everything just works.

    Pure luck

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  2. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 16:12:48 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > karl wrote:
    >> I just produced the fact that on the java sun website it is written:
    >>
    >> "Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start
    >> support"
    >>
    >> If you want to find pages where you need this, go to the java sites.
    >> They have them.
    >>
    >> Maybe you have a 32bit FF or/and a very old java. Did you check?
    >>
    >> If not, write to the Vatican that it will be recognized as a miracle.

    > Do you have an adress?
    >
    > houghi@pasta : java -version
    > java version "1.6.0_07"
    > Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06) Java HotSpot(TM)
    > 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)
    >
    > Also when looking at http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp I see
    > som x64 stuff as well.
    >
    > Obviously it could be that their website is not up to date.
    >
    > houghi

    You missed the obvious:
    rpm -qi java-1_6_0-openjdk-plugin-1.2_b09-10
    Name : java-1_6_0-openjdk-plugin Relocations: (not relocatable)
    Version : 1.2_b09 Vendor: SUSE LINUX
    Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany
    Release : 10 Build Date: Wed 04 Jun 2008
    03:18:41 BST
    Install Date: Sat 28 Jun 2008 11:30:02 BST Build Host: liszt.suse.de
    Group : Development/Libraries/Java Source RPM: java-1_6_0-
    openjdk-1.2_b09-10.src.rpm
    Size : 31392 License: GPL v2 only; -
    with the OpenJDK Assembly Exception and the GNU Classpath Exception
    Signature : DSA/SHA1, Wed 04 Jun 2008 03:34:35 BST, Key ID
    a84edae89c800aca
    Packager : http://bugs.opensuse.org
    Description :
    This package provides a Java plugin for using Java applets in web
    browsers such as FireFox. It is based on gcjwebplugin using OpenJDK 6
    and IcedTea 6.

    In Firefox, you can check the plugin used by the browser by typing the
    URL

    aboutlugins

    into the URL field of the navigation toolbar.

    Do note the the last line.

  3. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    graham wrote:
    >> houghi@pasta : java -version
    >> java version "1.6.0_07"
    >> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06) Java HotSpot(TM)
    >> 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)
    >>
    >> Also when looking at http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp I see
    >> som x64 stuff as well.
    >>
    >> Obviously it could be that their website is not up to date.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > You missed the obvious:
    > rpm -qi java-1_6_0-openjdk-plugin-1.2_b09-10

    I did look at it. I did just not see wether that was 32 or 64 bit.

    > In Firefox, you can check the plugin used by the browser by typing the
    > URL

    houghi@pasta : firefox about:config
    Error: cannot open display: 208:0.0

    IOW: I am not at my PC, so I can not do that.

    houghi

  4. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    houghi wrote:
    >> You missed the obvious:
    >> rpm -qi java-1_6_0-openjdk-plugin-1.2_b09-10

    > I did look at it. I did just not see wether that was 32 or 64 bit.

    OpenJDK != Sun JDK.

    So the warning from Sun doesn't apply to the OpenJDK plugin (and
    openSUSE 11.0 uses this one _because_ there is no Sun plugin for
    64-bit).

    I must admit, my warning about the lack of Java support in Firefox
    is based on 10.3, we don't use 11.0 yet here.
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  5. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    Eef Hartman wrote:
    > So the warning from Sun doesn't apply to the OpenJDK plugin (and
    > openSUSE 11.0 uses this one _because_ there is no Sun plugin for
    > 64-bit).

    Well, all well, but I would love to know of a page that would cause me
    problems when I would want try to access it with 64 bit and not with 32
    bit.

    I am not saying there is no issue. I am just saying I have not noticed
    any issue whith my basicaly standard install of openSUSE (all installed
    via standard repositories)

    And realy a site where I would see the difference, not a site that tells
    me there is a difference and that I can access with lynx. (unless lynx
    somehow has 64 java build in)
    --
    houghi

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  6. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    houghi wrote:
    > Eef Hartman wrote:
    >> So the warning from Sun doesn't apply to the OpenJDK plugin (and
    >> openSUSE 11.0 uses this one _because_ there is no Sun plugin for
    >> 64-bit).

    > Well, all well, but I would love to know of a page that would cause me
    > problems when I would want try to access it with 64 bit and not with 32
    > bit.

    The 64-bits version of Firefox, _as_ installed by openSUSE x86_64,
    cannot use the 32-bit plugin for Java, so you do NOT have any Java
    (but, I believe, JavaScipt is serviced by Firefox itself) at all,
    pages with Java in them just do not work.

    The SUN Java _engine_ as installed in openSUSE 10.3, is also 64-bits:
    MozillaFirefox-2.0.0.17-0.1
    java-1_6_0-sun-1.6.0.u7-1.1
    java-1_6_0-sun-alsa-1.6.0.u7-1.1
    java-1_6_0-sun-demo-1.6.0.u7-1.1
    java-1_6_0-sun-devel-1.6.0.u7-1.1
    java-1_6_0-sun-jdbc-1.6.0.u7-1.1
    is what I have installed here, all 64-bits packages.
    As you can see, no "java-1_6_0-sun-plugin" (the 32-bits O/S would
    have have that one too: java-1_6_0-sun-plugin-1.6.0.u7-1.1
    to be exact (that is from my 32-bits installed PC)).

    > And realy a site where I would see the difference, not a site that tells
    > me there is a difference and that I can access with lynx. (unless lynx
    > somehow has 64 java build in)

    I don't have a site available at the moment, but when I started with
    openSUSE (in februari) it was one of the first things I complained about
    (and then openSUSE 10.3 did still have the plugin installed, it
    got uninstalled with the 1.5.0 to 1.6.0 updates). I noticed - with
    the sites I regularly use - within a week that the plugin wasn't
    working (and "aboutlugins" didn't show it either, but when you
    started firefox from the commandline you DID get an error about it).

    We solved it by having an alternative 32-bits version of Firefox
    around, with all of the plugins that "didn't work" in the 64-bits
    version (of course there also were plugins that ONLY worked for the
    64-bits version, like the VLC-mozillaplugin - there is a 32-bit
    version of that too, but when you just do
    zypper in vlc vlc-mozillaplugin
    you get the 64-bits version on x86_64 openSUSE 10.3).

    Since then the release of OpenJDK seems to have solved this problem,
    but we didn't install it in this version (yet?), we want to keep all
    our (to become more than 1500) workstations as identical and openSUSE
    standard as possible. Next college year we'll be switching to 11.1
    (which propably will have its own set of problems).
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  7. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    Eef Hartman wrote:
    > I don't have a site available at the moment, but when I started with
    > openSUSE (in februari) it was one of the first things I complained about
    > (and then openSUSE 10.3 did still have the plugin installed, it
    > got uninstalled with the 1.5.0 to 1.6.0 updates). I noticed - with
    > the sites I regularly use - within a week that the plugin wasn't
    > working (and "aboutlugins" didn't show it either, but when you
    > started firefox from the commandline you DID get an error about it).

    Pity that you have no URL. I realy would like to experience this.
    Anybody else a URL?

    > Since then the release of OpenJDK seems to have solved this problem,
    > but we didn't install it in this version (yet?), we want to keep all
    > our (to become more than 1500) workstations as identical and openSUSE
    > standard as possible. Next college year we'll be switching to 11.1
    > (which propably will have its own set of problems).

    Next college year? Is that january or august? If august, then perhaps
    11.2 will be out already.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

  8. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    houghi wrote:
    > Next college year? Is that january or august? If august, then perhaps
    > 11.2 will be out already.

    August, but we need several months to get the image developed and
    debugged (it isn't really bugfree now, although we've been working
    at it since begin this year).
    So the development for the "next image" (as support for 10.3 will
    runout late next year) will begin somewhere in februari.

    This year 11.0 came out too when we were still developing the 10.3
    image, but we didn't want to start all over again.
    With a two-year support cycle, we need to upgrade once a year,
    we cannot support it during TWO successive years (and in our
    university environment SLED is just TOO old, especially for our
    software development and computer engineering departments).
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  9. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    Eef Hartman wrote:
    > This year 11.0 came out too when we were still developing the 10.3
    > image, but we didn't want to start all over again.
    > With a two-year support cycle, we need to upgrade once a year,
    > we cannot support it during TWO successive years (and in our
    > university environment SLED is just TOO old, especially for our
    > software development and computer engineering departments).

    SLE provides upgrades, not just updates. Contact the people of Linkat
    http://linkat.xtec.cat/portal/ They have made a distribution for the
    schools in Catalunia, based on openSUSE, SLE, their own repo's and a lot
    more. I am sure Jordi and Jordi will be happy to give feedback.

    They also gave a presentation on fosdem that is syill online to see.
    Impressive stuff. They used to use part of makeSUSEdvd (especially the
    signing) but now make their own distribution with the build service.

    They had a one disc installation, where people could select 4 options
    after selecting one of the three languages.
    Student, Teacher, Network and standalone (i believe)

    Don't forget that you can maintain your own systems for however long you
    want. Just let them point to YOUR update repo. That way you can do
    whatever you desire.

    And you can make your own distribution with the build service. When
    using the build service, you can start either from 0 or just use what is
    already there.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,
    than, say fashion TV - where hot models walk down the runway.

  10. Re: which open suse distro to choose (64 or 32) for Core2Duo E8400

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:22:14 -0700, Harry typed this message:

    > Hi ,guys!
    >
    > recently I have a new Dell 530s with a Core2Duo E8400 CPU, since it's
    > the first time that have a 64 bit cpu, i don't know should I choose 64
    > bit or 32 bit opensuse.specifically:
    >
    > 1, is 32 bit linux can also be installed? and running well? 2.I heard 64
    > bit OS will cause some problem ,like some program can not run on it, I
    > am using JAVA,Ruby kind of things frequently, can you see any problem ?
    > 3. is 64bit OS performs much better than 32? i don't want to bother if
    > it just support larger memory.
    >
    > thank you!

    Why buy a 64bit dual core cpu if you're not going run 64bit applications?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2