suse firefox = who did rpm ? - Suse

This is a discussion on suse firefox = who did rpm ? - Suse ; suse 11.0 x86-64: wondering who did the firefox 3.x rpms as I have a problem with missing (not displayed) icons on the menu bar like the forward, back, & a couple of other items; does work if the pointer hits ...

  1. suse firefox = who did rpm ?

    suse 11.0 x86-64: wondering who did the firefox 3.x rpms as I have a
    problem with missing (not displayed) icons on the menu bar like the
    forward, back, & a couple of other items; does work if the pointer
    hits the correct spot & tool-tip is displayed when stopped at the right
    place by accident.

    Supposed to have been fixed as per FF 3.02 but doesn't appear so as it
    correct it nor is it in the "correction" on FF 3.03.

    The download from Mozilla does display correctly but I do get a couple
    of "errors/problems" most times when exiting xwindows; now a real problem.

    As the suse version of FF is located in "/usr/lib64", does it mean that
    the suse x86-64 version of FF was compiled from the source using some
    x86-64 libs by whoever did the work?

    Needless to say I'm using the Mozilla download ver because of the menu
    display of suse's ver, even if it is a 32-bit ver.

  2. Re: suse firefox = who did rpm ?

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:13:42 +0000, just me wrote:

    > suse 11.0 x86-64: wondering who did the firefox 3.x rpms as I have a
    > problem with missing (not displayed) icons on the menu bar like the
    > forward, back, & a couple of other items;

    Try changing your theme and see if this makes any differece.

    > but I do get a couple of "errors/problems" most times when
    > exiting xwindows;

    There is no such thing as "xwindows".

    Repeat after me, "There is no such thing as `xwindows'."

    You are in fact using the X-11 Windowing system (originally from MIT).

    For your further amusement and enlightenment have a read of

  3. Re: suse firefox = who did rpm ?

    just me wrote:
    > suse 11.0 x86-64: wondering who did the firefox 3.x rpms as I have a
    > problem with missing (not displayed) icons on the menu bar like the
    > forward, back, & a couple of other items; does work if the pointer
    > hits the correct spot & tool-tip is displayed when stopped at the right
    > place by accident.

    Works here.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  4. Re: suse firefox = who did rpm ?

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, just me wrote:-

    >suse 11.0 x86-64: wondering who did the firefox 3.x rpms as I have a
    >problem with missing (not displayed) icons on the menu bar like the
    >forward, back, & a couple of other items; does work if the pointer
    >hits the correct spot & tool-tip is displayed when stopped at the right
    >place by accident.

    You can find out yourself who made a package, what machine it was
    compiled upon, and some other bits and bats about it using good old rpm.
    In your case, you'll want to use:

    rpm -qi MozillaFirefox

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32b | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  5. Re: suse firefox = who did rpm ?

    David Bolt wrote:
    > You can find out yourself who made a package, what machine it was
    > compiled upon, and some other bits and bats about it using good old rpm.
    > In your case, you'll want to use:
    >
    > rpm -qi MozillaFirefox

    Or if you have pin installed, use `pin MozillaFirefox`

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  6. Re: suse firefox = who did rpm ?

    just me wrote:
    > suse 11.0 x86-64: wondering who did the firefox 3.x rpms as I have a
    > problem with missing (not displayed) icons on the menu bar like the

    just me,
    I'm thinking that name is apropos.

    I have not seen the problem you describe. Are you running compiz?
    (window effects) If so, try turning that off and see if the problem
    goes away.

    I'm thinking that your issue isn't a firefox issue but may be
    related to compiz and/or your video driver (?).

  7. Re: suse firefox = who did rpm ?

    On 2008-10-08, Chris Cox wrote:
    > just me wrote:
    >> suse 11.0 x86-64: wondering who did the firefox 3.x rpms as I have a
    >> problem with missing (not displayed) icons on the menu bar like the

    > just me,
    > I'm thinking that name is apropos.
    >
    > I have not seen the problem you describe. Are you running compiz?
    > (window effects) If so, try turning that off and see if the problem
    > goes away.
    >
    > I'm thinking that your issue isn't a firefox issue but may be
    > related to compiz and/or your video driver (?).

    It looks like it is more a case of readability fonts. On my 22" widescreen
    monitor, the video mode is "native" BUT I've changed the X fonts so my
    old eyesight can read the written word; e.g. the fonts have been set to
    17 pt both for the desktop & FF since the desktop fonts control the menu,
    toolbar while the FF fonts desplay the website in the "message box".

    After fiddling, I decided that it was preferable to remove both the "home"
    & "print" icons from the toolbar which will give me a decent url bar size
    entry of urls. The toolbar are now set to icon & text which probably was
    another reason that the 'forward, back, redo' didn't showup but then neither
    did the 'home & print'.

    Compromises.....still strange that the Mozilla ver displayed ok; not
    running compiz & don't think that the nvidia drive would do things
    different for each version...maybe.

+ Reply to Thread