can not "switch user" or "end current session" - Suse

This is a discussion on can not "switch user" or "end current session" - Suse ; Please hope you can help. Used 10.2 with almost none problems. New installed 10.3 (save /home) and have new big problem: When using KDE if I try to "Switch user" or "Log out" > "End current session" the system will ...

  1. can not "switch user" or "end current session"

    Please hope you can help. Used 10.2 with almost none problems. New installed
    10.3 (save /home) and have new big problem:

    When using KDE if I try to "Switch user" or "Log out" > "End current
    session" the system will begin stopping down like in 10.2 , but then the
    screen is black and all stuff stops. There is no hits to hard drive, can not
    turn num-lock light off or on, can not ctrl-alt-F1 (or del or backsapce)
    NOTHING works but the power button. (thank you for ext3 and no harm to file
    system)

    Tried it also with gnome and xcfe and saw the same #ยค%& stuff exactly. Tried
    some acpi/apm on/off combos, and acip=force but no change, allways with black
    screen. So, I went to a term at F1 and did "init 3" (which was looking all
    good) then "init 5" and i got exactly the same black screen and all stuff
    stopped. Was big surprise for me.

    I gess that maybe my init 5 is broke? What can be missing
    from /etc/init.d/rc5.d? Will you see contents her, are your's different?

    Thank YOu so kindley well in advanced of fix.

  2. Re: can not "switch user" or "end current session"

    guest wrote:
    > Please hope you can help. Used 10.2 with almost none problems. New installed
    > 10.3 (save /home) and have new big problem:

    Sorry no answer, just a question. Why did you go for 10.3 and not
    directly for 11.0 (or even waited till december and went for 11.1)

    houghi
    | Artist : Clara Haskil & Arthus Grumiaux
    | Song : Allegro con brio - Sonata in C minor, Op.30 No 2
    | Album : The Violin Sonatas Beethoven

  3. Re: can not "switch user" or "end current session"

    houghi typed:

    > guest wrote:
    >> Please hope you can help. Used 10.2 with almost none problems. New installed
    >> 10.3 (save /home) and have new big problem:

    > Sorry no answer, just a question. Why did you go for 10.3 and not
    > directly for 11.0 (or even waited till december and went for 11.1)

    Good Q.

    A1: Went to 10.3 in january. Problem since then. Ask in
    novell/opensuse.org.help* more than once. They too busy talking about Compiz
    and beautiful icons to hear/answer me. Guess, no experts there.

    Can "work round" by boot and *then* switch user or switch from KDE to gnome,
    whatever. Tired of work round and wonder if 11.0/1 will fix or brake moore.

    A2: Never install xx.0 software. Waiting and hope for good 11.1 when gold.

  4. Re: can not "switch user" or "end current session"

    guest wrote:
    > A2: Never install xx.0 software. Waiting and hope for good 11.1 when gold.

    Not valid for S.u.S.E, SuSE, SUSE and openSUSE. The numbering has no
    technical importance. It is there purely for marketing. No other reason.
    This has been confirmed by Novell and openSUSE.

    They easily could have called it 10.4 and the next one 10.5 (or
    continued numbering from 4.2 on) or ...

    Serously, there is no xx.0 issue with openSUSE. e.g. 10.1 was more of an
    issue then 10.1. Much larger difference between 10.0 and 10.1 then
    between 9.3 and 10.0. So it is all pure coincidence if there is
    something major wrong with a xx.0

    houghi
    | Artist : Bobby Brown
    | Song : Every Little Step
    | Album : Don't Be Cruel

  5. Re: can not "switch user" or "end current session"

    houghi typed:

    > guest wrote:
    >> A2: Never install xx.0 software. Waiting and hope for good 11.1 when gold.

    > Not valid for S.u.S.E, SuSE, SUSE and openSUSE. The numbering has no
    > technical importance. It is there purely for marketing. No other reason.
    > This has been confirmed by Novell and openSUSE.
    >
    > They easily could have called it 10.4 and the next one 10.5 (or
    > continued numbering from 4.2 on) or ...
    >
    > Serously, there is no xx.0 issue with openSUSE. e.g. 10.1 was more of an
    > issue then 10.1. Much larger difference between 10.0 and 10.1 then
    > between 9.3 and 10.0. So it is all pure coincidence if there is
    > something major wrong with a xx.0
    >
    > houghi

    Ok. Istall 11.0 an see if ok,then.
    Ok. Is like say,Install Vista and you troubles gone long far away.

    Right.
    We see. I write in two day with good/bad news.

  6. Re: can not "switch user" or "end current session"

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 15:22:45 +0200, guest wrote:

    > houghi typed:
    >
    >> guest wrote:
    >>> Please hope you can help. Used 10.2 with almost none problems. New
    >>> installed 10.3 (save /home) and have new big problem:

    >> Sorry no answer, just a question. Why did you go for 10.3 and not
    >> directly for 11.0 (or even waited till december and went for 11.1)

    > Good Q.
    >
    > A1: Went to 10.3 in january. Problem since then. Ask in
    > novell/opensuse.org.help* more than once. They too busy talking about
    > Compiz and beautiful icons to hear/answer me. Guess, no experts there.
    >
    > Can "work round" by boot and *then* switch user or switch from KDE to
    > gnome, whatever. Tired of work round and wonder if 11.0/1 will fix or
    > brake moore.
    >
    > A2: Never install xx.0 software. Waiting and hope for good 11.1 when
    > gold.

    The the lock up on shutdown from X remineds me of a problem I had with an
    asus board with onboard intel graphics.
    The lock up occured due to a page fault and the system couldn't handle it.
    The solution was an option in bios to not halt on page faults.

    Mainboard p5p800-VM
    BIOS CPU Configuration, Execute Disable Function, Enable
    The default was disable

  7. Re: can not "switch user" or "end current session"

    graham typed:

    > On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 15:22:45 +0200, guest wrote:
    >
    >> houghi typed:

    >>> Sorry no answer, just a question. Why did you go for 10.3 and not
    >>> directly for 11.0 (or even waited till december and went for 11.1)

    >> Good Q.
    >>
    >> A1: Went to 10.3 in january. Problem since then. Ask in
    >> novell/opensuse.org.help* more than once. They too busy talking about
    >> Compiz and beautiful icons to hear/answer me. Guess, no experts there.
    >>
    >> Can "work round" by boot and *then* switch user or switch from KDE to
    >> gnome, whatever. Tired of work round and wonder if 11.0/1 will fix or
    >> brake moore.
    >>
    >> A2: Never install xx.0 software. Waiting and hope for good 11.1 when
    >> gold.

    > The the lock up on shutdown from X remineds me of a problem I had with an
    > asus board with onboard intel graphics.
    > The lock up occured due to a page fault and the system couldn't handle it.
    > The solution was an option in bios to not halt on page faults.
    >
    > Mainboard p5p800-VM
    > BIOS CPU Configuration, Execute Disable Function, Enable
    > The default was disable

    Too bad, I have none such switch in BIOS. Sigh! I did flip 3 other for no help,
    and no change.

+ Reply to Thread