PostgreSQL 8.2.10 for OpenSUSE 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on PostgreSQL 8.2.10 for OpenSUSE 10.3 - Suse ; Hi, Where can I find binary RPMs of PostgreSQL 8.2.10 for OpenSUSE 10.3? Last 8.2.x PostgreSQL for 10.3 on software.opensuse.org Updates was 8.2.6. :-( -- GI...

  1. PostgreSQL 8.2.10 for OpenSUSE 10.3

    --
    GI

  2. Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.10 for OpenSUSE 10.3

    Ivan Gustin wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Where can I find binary RPMs of PostgreSQL 8.2.10 for OpenSUSE 10.3?
    >
    > Last 8.2.x PostgreSQL for 10.3 on software.opensuse.org Updates was
    > 8.2.6. :-(

    If they are not available, making your own is the only solution. What
    happens is that for a version, the latetst version will be added to a
    distribution like 10.3 and that will then only be updated with security
    patches.

    When the next version comes out, the then latest version will be used.
    e.g. Factory is now at 8.3.3 as far as I can see.

    houghi
    | Artist : Doe Maar
    | Song : All e.s. (Is dit alles)
    | Album : Doe de dub

  3. Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.10 for OpenSUSE 10.3

    Ivan Gustin wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Where can I find binary RPMs of PostgreSQL 8.2.10 for OpenSUSE 10.3?
    >
    > Last 8.2.x PostgreSQL for 10.3 on software.opensuse.org Updates was
    > 8.2.6. :-(

    Bottom line is you can't unless someone makes them.. You can create your
    own from source or try some other distributions 'source' rpm and try
    rebuilding it. Since you didn't say why you needed 8.2.10 perhaps you want
    something more recent than 8.2.6 but not necessarily in the 8.2.x series ?
    In that case you could try 8.3.1-4.1 for openSUSE-10.3 found here:

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_10.3

    OR

    You can get a Linux binary of 8.3.4-1 and install it into a different
    directory than your present version and use both. I just gave it a whirl
    and installed it to ~/other-opt which I just created.. (since my /
    directory is full and /home is a separate partition with adequate space).

    Easy install without conflict !!

    Get that here:

    http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux

    P.S. What is your reason for needing 8.2.10 ?

  4. Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.10 for OpenSUSE 10.3

    ------------------------------------snip-------------------------------------------
    > OR
    >
    > You can get a Linux binary of 8.3.4-1 and install it into a different
    > directory than your present version and use both. I just gave it a whirl
    > and installed it to ~/other-opt which I just created.. (since my /
    > directory is full and /home is a separate partition with adequate space).
    >
    > Easy install without conflict !!
    >
    > Get that here:
    >
    > http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux
    >
    > P.S. What is your reason for needing 8.2.10 ?

    Should mention that using the bin package is a little more work to set up
    but if you're a PostgreSQL administrator it's not too difficult. So try
    the rpm if you want to do it the easy way....

  5. Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.10 for OpenSUSE 10.3

    ------------------more snipin'--------------------------------------
    > Should mention that using the bin package is a little more work to set up
    > but if you're a PostgreSQL administrator it's not too difficult. So try
    > the rpm if you want to do it the easy way....

    Well, just one more thing I noticed.. I installed the Linux binary as I
    previously mentioned. Then I went to the runlevel editor in Yast and 'lo
    and behold' there is PostgreSQL-8.3 listed AND running... So it is easy
    enough to get a default configuration running and have easy control of
    startup by the system when booting if you desire to have that. I thought I
    might have to do it with my own script but it wasn't necessary as it was
    added to the runlevel editor automagically. Cool............

    And yes the previous version is still installed and running. No conflicts.
    No problems...

    Give it a spin.

+ Reply to Thread