Sound problems with HP XW4400 - Suse

This is a discussion on Sound problems with HP XW4400 - Suse ; Recently I mentioned my problems getting sound to work with the Creative SB X-Fi card that often ships with this computer. A 4Front driver enables sound output, but the microphone does not work. Creative provided a beta driver for Linux ...

  1. Sound problems with HP XW4400

    Recently I mentioned my problems getting sound to work with the
    Creative SB X-Fi card that often ships with this computer. A 4Front
    driver enables sound output, but the microphone does not work.
    Creative provided a beta driver for Linux in April, but few have
    succeeded with it.

    So then I removed the X-Fi, relying on the onboard sound. This is HDA
    Intel, using the snd_hda_intel driver. Sound output is now
    satisfactory with an ALSA driver, but the performance of the
    microphone is not. (Skype shows the telephone with a red symbol,
    though I can hear what she says.)

    Apparently, then, if I am to use Skype with Linux, I need to wait
    until one or the other of the foregoing problems is solved, or use a
    different add-on sound card that is better-supported. Would people who
    are doing Skype with add-on sound cards like to say which one they are
    using? (I'm using 11.0 x86_64.)

  2. Re: Sound problems with HP XW4400

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:02:23 -0700, tim1948 wrote:
    > or use a different add-on sound card that is better-supported.

    Or alternatively buy a USB telephone handset (which is much less expensive
    than buying another sound card).

    The generic yeaphone is quite well supported and acts as its own sound
    device. A project exists to provide the "extra" features to the basic
    working functionality --

    A generic example of this phone is

    and the US Robotics USR9600 is the same model with a USR badge "affixed".

    Even if you do not use the yeaphone project software which provides the
    user with features extra to the basic functionality, the phone can still
    be for Skype with the appropriate USB drivers in the standard kernel, ie
    you just plug it in, the kernel recognizes the device, and you can call
    using the Skype interface.

  3. Re: Sound problems with HP XW4400

    On Oct 3, 5:42*pm, J G Miller wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:02:23 -0700, tim1948 wrote:
    > > or use a different add-on sound card that is better-supported.

    > Or alternatively buy a USB telephone handset (which is much less expensive
    > than buying another sound card).
    >
    > The generic yeaphone is quite well supported and acts as its own sound
    > device. *A project exists to provide the "extra" features to the basic
    > working functionality --
    >
    > * * *
    >
    > A generic example of this phone is
    >
    > *
    >
    > and the US Robotics USR9600 is the same model with a USR badge "affixed".
    >

    > Even if you do not use the yeaphone project software which provides the
    > user with features extra to the basic functionality, the phone can still
    > be for Skype with the appropriate USB drivers in the standard kernel, ie
    > you just plug it in, the kernel recognizes the device, and you can call
    > using the Skype interface.

    I ordered such a device on Ebay for $10 (+s/h). That dealer has 3
    more.

    Yealink was identified by my Web browser as an "attack site" and I did
    not proceed further. I suppose this warning could have been spurious,
    though.

+ Reply to Thread