can't install grub in 11.0 MBR - Suse

This is a discussion on can't install grub in 11.0 MBR - Suse ; I installed 11.0 on my ThinkPad T60 and it worked fine. Installed another disrtro and it wiped out 11.0 grub in the MBR. Now I can't boot 11.0. Tried to install 11.0 grub in the MBR thus: "# grub > ...

  1. can't install grub in 11.0 MBR

    I installed 11.0 on my ThinkPad T60 and it worked fine.
    Installed another disrtro and it wiped out 11.0 grub in the
    MBR. Now I can't boot 11.0.
    Tried to install 11.0 grub in the MBR thus:

    "# grub
    > root (hd0,11)
    > setup (hd0)
    > quit

    #"

    This works with every other distro I ever used except suse.

    "grub> root (hd0,11)

    grub> setup (hd0)
    Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
    Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no

    Error 2: Bad file or directory type

    grub>"

    stage1 is in /boot/grub

    Can I use the SuSE 11 DVD as a rescue system to boot 11.0?

    In the old suse installation, there was a choice to boot an installed
    system, is that still available?

    jozien

  2. Re: can't install grub in 11.0 MBR

    Joe Z wrote:
    > grub> setup (hd0)

    Use the id of the partition the "/boot" dir is IN, i.e.
    grub> setup (hd0,11)
    if /boot is also in your "root" partition.

    When the system isn't running ON that root grub doesn't
    know which "/boot" to use, the one of the RUNNING system or
    the one you're writing the MBR _for_.
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  3. Re: can't install grub in 11.0 MBR

    Eef Hartman wrote:

    > Joe Z wrote:
    >> grub> setup (hd0)

    > Use the id of the partition the "/boot" dir is IN, i.e.
    > grub> setup (hd0,11)
    > if /boot is also in your "root" partition.

    Thinkpads also have a "hidden" partition where they store recovery data.
    That might mess up the partition counting.

    GŁnther

  4. Re: can't install grub in 11.0 MBR

    Joe Z wrote:
    > I installed 11.0 on my ThinkPad T60 and it worked fine.
    > Installed another disrtro and it wiped out 11.0 grub in the
    > MBR. Now I can't boot 11.0.
    > Tried to install 11.0 grub in the MBR thus:
    >
    > "# grub
    > > root (hd0,11)
    > > setup (hd0)
    > > quit

    > #"
    >
    > This works with every other distro I ever used except suse.
    >
    > "grub> root (hd0,11)
    > Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    >
    > grub> setup (hd0)
    > Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
    > Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no
    >
    > Error 2: Bad file or directory type
    >
    > grub>"
    >
    > stage1 is in /boot/grub
    >
    > Can I use the SuSE 11 DVD as a rescue system to boot 11.0?
    >
    > In the old suse installation, there was a choice to boot an installed
    > system, is that still available?
    >
    > jozien

    Got this tip from in alt.linux.suse:

    "If anything fails, give SuperGrubDisk a chance"

    www.supergrubdisk.org

    It worked fine, I booted suse 11.0 and was able
    to install grub in the MBR.

    jozien

+ Reply to Thread