Problems setting up wireless - Suse

This is a discussion on Problems setting up wireless - Suse ; Hi there, My desktop is connected via eth0 to the internet via cable modem, with dhcp looking after ip. The modem only has one ethernet port and no wireless so I cannot concurrently run the desktop and my laptop on ...

  1. Problems setting up wireless

    Hi there,

    My desktop is connected via eth0 to the internet via cable modem,
    with dhcp looking after ip. The modem only has one ethernet port
    and no wireless so I cannot concurrently run the desktop and my
    laptop on the internet.

    I have a spare usb wifi adaptor, with the ralink rt73 chipset, so
    I wish to setup that on the desktop to talk to the laptop (which
    has an inbuilt intel pro 3945abg adaptor), and share the eth0
    connection on the desktop so the laptop can access the internet
    via wireless routed through the desktop.

    Desktop has openSUSE 11, laptop has openSUSE 10.3.

    My efforts at getting this working have failed, so I'm asking if
    there is anyone out there able to help, or at least point me in
    the direction of some guide on the net thats attacks the setting
    up steps from the beginning, and in easy to understand terms.

    All I can say at this point is that both desktop and laptop have
    recognised their respective adaptors (laptop has worked with AP's
    successfully). I can run "iwlist wlan0 scan" on both, and they
    can see other routers in the vicinity, but not each other. I'm
    using the iwl3945 module on the laptop, after googling reveals
    thats better than the ipw3945. The rt73 module is loaded on the
    desktop, although I also tried ndiswrapper - both ways I cannot
    see the laptop (and it cannot see the desktop). I cannot set the
    desktop to ad-hoc or master mode, only managed. I cannot give the
    desktop adaptor a nick. I read that the serialmonkey version of
    the ralink driver would allow me to do that, but trying to run
    configure on that tells me the kernel source tree is incomplete
    (which is nonsense, kernel-source is installed and all of the
    other source-built apps have compiled without error).

    Where do I start? Other than googling to learn all the above
    my only other wifi experience consists of configuring the same
    usb stick to do the same thing between two Macs, which was done
    and dusted with a few mouse clicks and a couple of inputs of
    essid etc...very easy.

    Help!

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edniburgh.

  2. Re: Problems setting up wireless

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:47:53 UTC, Chris Wilkinson
    wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > My desktop is connected via eth0 to the internet via cable modem,
    > with dhcp looking after ip. The modem only has one ethernet port
    > and no wireless so I cannot concurrently run the desktop and my
    > laptop on the internet.
    >
    > I have a spare usb wifi adaptor, with the ralink rt73 chipset, so
    > I wish to setup that on the desktop to talk to the laptop (which
    > has an inbuilt intel pro 3945abg adaptor), and share the eth0
    > connection on the desktop so the laptop can access the internet
    > via wireless routed through the desktop.
    >
    > Desktop has openSUSE 11, laptop has openSUSE 10.3.
    >
    > My efforts at getting this working have failed, so I'm asking if
    > there is anyone out there able to help, or at least point me in
    > the direction of some guide on the net thats attacks the setting
    > up steps from the beginning, and in easy to understand terms.
    >
    > All I can say at this point is that both desktop and laptop have
    > recognised their respective adaptors (laptop has worked with AP's
    > successfully). I can run "iwlist wlan0 scan" on both, and they
    > can see other routers in the vicinity, but not each other. I'm
    > using the iwl3945 module on the laptop, after googling reveals
    > thats better than the ipw3945. The rt73 module is loaded on the
    > desktop, although I also tried ndiswrapper - both ways I cannot
    > see the laptop (and it cannot see the desktop). I cannot set the
    > desktop to ad-hoc or master mode, only managed. I cannot give the
    > desktop adaptor a nick. I read that the serialmonkey version of
    > the ralink driver would allow me to do that, but trying to run
    > configure on that tells me the kernel source tree is incomplete
    > (which is nonsense, kernel-source is installed and all of the
    > other source-built apps have compiled without error).
    >
    > Where do I start? Other than googling to learn all the above
    > my only other wifi experience consists of configuring the same
    > usb stick to do the same thing between two Macs, which was done
    > and dusted with a few mouse clicks and a couple of inputs of
    > essid etc...very easy.
    >
    > Help!
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Chris Wilkinson, Edniburgh.

    My solution primary requires a purchase - maybe Ebay used.
    Buy a wireless router. Linksys makes one that has both wired and
    wireless. Then connect the ethernet modem to the router; wire it to
    desktop; and use the wireless for the notebook (or wired if local)
    This is probably the best solution as the desktop does not have to
    be on OR two people can be using the two computers with full speed
    Sorry I can't do better. If I was trying to configure your current
    setup. I would make sure the Laptop works with other wireless
    connections first (It's linux OS is set right)
    Then, I would get the desktop connected with it.
    Questions to Answer
    (1) Is the network share the same WORKGROUP name?
    (2) Is the network open or encrypted (Start all this with no
    WEP encryption)
    (3) Has the "Wallet" utility come up when seeking to connect
    (4) I set mine up with Samba and when things come up, it takes
    from 5-15 minutes for the computer to recognize one another on the
    network. (Windows is near immediate)