SuSE 7.3 USB & FlashMemSticks - Suse

This is a discussion on SuSE 7.3 USB & FlashMemSticks - Suse ; OK, OK, I know I should upgrade this box, but it is only a 200Mhz and has the near perfect SuSE installation that I do not want to mess with .. . . SO, those who have been with SuSE ...

  1. SuSE 7.3 USB & FlashMemSticks

    OK, OK, I know I should upgrade this box, but it is only a 200Mhz and
    has the near perfect SuSE installation that I do not want to mess with
    .. . . SO, those who have been with SuSE for a time and been through 7.3
    - I address this question.

    One thing that would make this BOX better is to have access to USB
    flash memory. I installed a USB-PCI card and SuSE 7.3 finds it. The
    Kernel (2.4.10) has the modules input.o, usbcore.o, and usb-ohci.o
    installed. Reading the INFO utility, the OS sees the card. When I
    plug in the Memory stick (old 128MB Verbatim Store'n'go) it blinks,
    SuSe 7.3 finds it and is able to read out the identification data.

    My next step from the reference manual (still got one with 7.3) was to
    modprobe usb-storage.o - I still just get the ID info of the flash
    memory. Any attempt to mount it (my guess would be /dev/sdb because a
    ZIP drive is /dev/sda4) is met with "no block device" error. Also ,
    with the YAST2 Hardware analysis utility, it finds it under Disks,
    but no device is assigned to it.

    If it is possible to get this USB Memory stick to go under SuSE 7.3 I
    would appreciate your help. I am certainly missing something or 7.3
    is too old to do this. All software was from the factory install
    disks (no updates back then for me)

    Any help appreciated.
    Paul

    --

  2. Re: SuSE 7.3 USB & FlashMemSticks

    PaulRS wrote:
    > If it is possible to get this USB Memory stick to go under SuSE 7.3 I
    > would appreciate your help. I am certainly missing something or 7.3
    > is too old to do this. All software was from the factory install
    > disks (no updates back then for me)

    There was a LARGE list of USB storage devices that didn't work
    under 7.3.. and that was during the time when 7.3 was a "current"
    version. Not much is going to work with something this old....
    sorry.

    Time to upgrade.

  3. Re: SuSE 7.3 USB & FlashMemSticks

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    >> If it is possible to get this USB Memory stick to go under SuSE 7.3 I
    >> would appreciate your help. I am certainly missing something or 7.3
    >> is too old to do this. All software was from the factory install
    >> disks (no updates back then for me)

    > There was a LARGE list of USB storage devices that didn't work
    > under 7.3.. and that was during the time when 7.3 was a "current"
    > version. Not much is going to work with something this old....
    > sorry.
    >
    > Time to upgrade.

    if you do upgrade up grade the pc or keep what you got

  4. Re: SuSE 7.3 USB & FlashMemSticks

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:11:38 UTC, "PaulRS"
    wrote:

    > OK, OK, I know I should upgrade this box, but it is only a 200Mhz and
    > has the near perfect SuSE installation that I do not want to mess with
    > . . . SO, those who have been with SuSE for a time and been through 7.3
    > - I address this question.
    >
    > One thing that would make this BOX better is to have access to USB
    > flash memory. I installed a USB-PCI card and SuSE 7.3 finds it. The
    > Kernel (2.4.10) has the modules input.o, usbcore.o, and usb-ohci.o
    > installed. Reading the INFO utility, the OS sees the card. When I
    > plug in the Memory stick (old 128MB Verbatim Store'n'go) it blinks,
    > SuSe 7.3 finds it and is able to read out the identification data.
    >
    > My next step from the reference manual (still got one with 7.3) was to
    > modprobe usb-storage.o - I still just get the ID info of the flash
    > memory. Any attempt to mount it (my guess would be /dev/sdb because a
    > ZIP drive is /dev/sda4) is met with "no block device" error. Also ,
    > with the YAST2 Hardware analysis utility, it finds it under Disks,
    > but no device is assigned to it.
    >
    > If it is possible to get this USB Memory stick to go under SuSE 7.3 I
    > would appreciate your help. I am certainly missing something or 7.3
    > is too old to do this. All software was from the factory install
    > disks (no updates back then for me)
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    > Paul

    For any interested . . . . I did get this working. The problem
    was that the installed PCI USB card was stepping on the ISA SB-16/SCSI
    Sound/SCXSI card at interupt 11 (IRQ-11). In this older 200Mhz Dell
    box, the PCI bus randomly assigned interrupts and the ISA card was NOT
    a plug'n'play. I had to manually reassign the ISA Bus sound card
    (with jumpers) and make a new "initrd" (see later post on SuSE 7.3)
    Also the various flash memory sticks I tried wanted to be
    "/dev/sdb1" (I had not be adding the "1") There was only one memory
    stick that mounted as "/dev/sdb" - By the way the ZIP-100 drive is
    "/dev/sda4" which is normal as they all deferred to partition 4.
    Linux is definitely a "learning" experience. I post this to help
    any other "learners" . . . .
    Paul