How do I make a setting permanent in /sys/block/sda/queue? - Suse

This is a discussion on How do I make a setting permanent in /sys/block/sda/queue? - Suse ; Hello again folks! The vendor of my RAID-controller advises me to perform the following changes, for increasing it's performance: echo "512" > /sys/block/sda/queue/nr_requests echo "deadline" > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler Unfortunately these settings are gone after rebooting. Could someone please advice me on ...

  1. How do I make a setting permanent in /sys/block/sda/queue?

    Hello again folks!

    The vendor of my RAID-controller advises me to perform the following
    changes, for increasing it's performance:

    echo "512" > /sys/block/sda/queue/nr_requests
    echo "deadline" > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

    Unfortunately these settings are gone after rebooting.
    Could someone please advice me on how to make these sort of changes
    permanent so that they withstand rebooting?

    Thank you!

    Best regards
    Tom

    --
    Help keep the usenet free!
    Use and/or support (e.g. by setting up an own server) the nonprofit

  2. Re: How do I make a setting permanent in /sys/block/sda/queue?

    Tom wrote:

    >> echo "512" > /sys/block/sda/queue/nr_requests
    >> echo "deadline" > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

    >> Could someone please advice me on how to make these sort of changes
    >> permanent so that they withstand rebooting?

    > would it be a good idea to add these settings to /etc/init.d/boot.local,
    > too?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tom

    That's what I would do. Dunno if it will cause problems. According to
    boot.local:

    # script with local commands to be executed from init on system startup
    #
    # Here you should add things, that should happen directly after booting
    # before we're going to the first run level.

    On a Macbook Pro I have, I have put similar commands to set the minimum fan
    speed. If putting the 2 commands you want in the console works, then I
    can't think of any reason why they wouldn't work during boot. Perhaps they
    require a module to be loaded? If you put those commands and you get errors
    from echo complaining that a file doesn't exist, then you may need to load
    the module earlier...I suspect that module will be loaded anyway.

    --
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread