Chat software that runs on Linux - Suse

This is a discussion on Chat software that runs on Linux - Suse ; I am looking for chat room software that runs on Linux. This is not the client side of things but rather the hosting side of it. Preferably the client can use any OS as they choose. Anyone know of any? ...

  1. Chat software that runs on Linux

    I am looking for chat room software that runs on Linux. This is not
    the client side of things but rather the hosting side of it. Preferably
    the client can use any OS as they choose. Anyone know of any?
    Used Yahoo's IM as well as MS's and they don't fit the bill. Should
    have administration capabilities.

  2. Re: Chat software that runs on Linux

    В Четверг 02 октября 2008 05:43, scott писал:
    > I am looking for chat room software that runs on Linux. This is not
    > the client side of things but rather the hosting side of it.

    Hi,

    Personally, I am running a private chat server for my family using the
    Debian distro and Jabberd daemon. There are several XMPP clients available
    for Linux and Windows.

    Regards,
    Mateusz Viste

  3. Re: Chat software that runs on Linux

    scott wrote:
    > I am looking for chat room software that runs on Linux. This is not
    > the client side of things but rather the hosting side of it. Preferably
    > the client can use any OS as they choose. Anyone know of any?
    > Used Yahoo's IM as well as MS's and they don't fit the bill. Should
    > have administration capabilities.

    Jabber is the way to go. Both server and clients are available on Linux
    and Windows. I have tried it out. Huge advantage is that you can keep it
    inhouse, instead of people chatting with their friends.

    That is already some years ago I played with it, so details are a bit
    meager. Also I asume that over the years many things have been added, so
    that you can most likely do whatever you want.

    Obviously there also is IRC, which is a real chatroom and not a vague
    interpretation of it. Perhaps that is what you are looking for. There
    you can also moderate.

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

  4. Re: Chat software that runs on Linux

    houghi wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >> I am looking for chat room software that runs on Linux. This is not
    >> the client side of things but rather the hosting side of it. Preferably
    >> the client can use any OS as they choose. Anyone know of any?
    >> Used Yahoo's IM as well as MS's and they don't fit the bill. Should
    >> have administration capabilities.

    > Jabber is the way to go. Both server and clients are available on Linux
    > and Windows. I have tried it out. Huge advantage is that you can keep it
    > inhouse, instead of people chatting with their friends.
    >
    > That is already some years ago I played with it, so details are a bit
    > meager. Also I asume that over the years many things have been added, so
    > that you can most likely do whatever you want.
    >
    > Obviously there also is IRC, which is a real chatroom and not a vague
    > interpretation of it. Perhaps that is what you are looking for. There
    > you can also moderate.
    >
    > houghi

    Thank you for the info. I trust both Jabber and the IRCD are not on
    the OpenSuSE 11.0 cd?

  5. Re: Chat software that runs on Linux

    scott wrote:

    > Thank you for the info. I trust both Jabber and the IRCD are not on
    > the OpenSuSE 11.0 cd?

    I only trust my bank and look what hapend to that.
    http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/ser....0/jabberd.ymp
    and
    http://software.opensuse.org/search?...1.0&p=1&q=ircd

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle

+ Reply to Thread