CD unreadable - Suse

This is a discussion on CD unreadable - Suse ; Hello, I have a guitar learning CD that I got awhile back. It used to work in under Wine in openSUSE 10.3. However, when insert the CD into the DVD drive (same as before), I get the following on 'dmesg' ...

  1. CD unreadable

    Hello,

    I have a guitar learning CD that I got awhile back. It used to work in under
    Wine in openSUSE 10.3. However, when insert the CD into the DVD drive (same
    as before), I get the following on 'dmesg'

    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 24
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 28
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0

    Other CDs work fine. It seems to be just this one CD.

    The CD does work in Windows. I used Roxio in Vista to make a copy of the CD
    onto a CD-R. The CD-R works in vista but not in openSUSE.

    Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this CD to work again. My system:

    openSUSE 10.3
    KDE 3.5.10 release 23.1
    Kernel 2.6.22.18-0.2-default

    Thanks.

    --
    Chris

  2. Re: CD unreadable

    On 2008-10-02 02:37, Chris wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a guitar learning CD that I got awhile back. It used to work in under
    > Wine in openSUSE 10.3. However, when insert the CD into the DVD drive (same
    > as before), I get the following on 'dmesg'
    >
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 24
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 28
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    >

    > Other CDs work fine. It seems to be just this one CD.
    >
    > The CD does work in Windows. I used Roxio in Vista to make a copy of the CD
    > onto a CD-R. The CD-R works in vista but not in openSUSE.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this CD to work again. My system:
    >
    > openSUSE 10.3
    > KDE 3.5.10 release 23.1
    > Kernel 2.6.22.18-0.2-default
    >
    > Thanks.

    Make a new copy with k3b, maybe vista made the cd to a windows only disc :-)

    /bb

  3. Re: CD unreadable

    bb wrote:

    > On 2008-10-02 02:37, Chris wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a guitar learning CD that I got awhile back. It used to work in
    >> under Wine in openSUSE 10.3. However, when insert the CD into the DVD
    >> drive (same as before), I get the following on 'dmesg'
    >>
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 24
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 28
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    >> end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
    >>

    >> Other CDs work fine. It seems to be just this one CD.
    >>
    >> The CD does work in Windows. I used Roxio in Vista to make a copy of the
    >> CD onto a CD-R. The CD-R works in vista but not in openSUSE.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this CD to work again. My system:
    >>
    >> openSUSE 10.3
    >> KDE 3.5.10 release 23.1
    >> Kernel 2.6.22.18-0.2-default
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Make a new copy with k3b, maybe vista made the cd to a windows only disc
    > :-)
    >
    > /bb

    I haven't tried k3b yet because when I put the CD in the drive, the drive
    wont stop trying to do a read. I'll see if I can get the drive to stop.
    Perhaps running k3b anyway will interrupt the initial read?

    --
    Chris

  4. Re: CD unreadable

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:21:35 +0000, Chris quoth:

    > The CD does work in Windows. I used Roxio in Vista to make a copy of the
    >>> CD onto a CD-R. The CD-R works in vista but not in openSUSE.

    on the same machine or a different one?

    Felmon

  5. Re: CD unreadable

    Felmon wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:21:35 +0000, Chris quoth:
    >
    >> The CD does work in Windows. I used Roxio in Vista to make a copy of the

    > on the same machine or a different one?
    >
    > Felmon

    Same machine. Works if I boot into Vista (cringe!). If I reboot into
    openSUSE 10.3, all I see are those errors in dmesg.

    --
    Chris

  6. Re: CD unreadable

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 22:59:04 +0000, Chris quoth:

    > Felmon wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:21:35 +0000, Chris quoth:
    >>
    >>> The CD does work in Windows. I used Roxio in Vista to make a copy of the

    >> on the same machine or a different one?
    >>
    >> Felmon

    > Same machine. Works if I boot into Vista (cringe!). If I reboot into
    > openSUSE 10.3, all I see are those errors in dmesg.

    I am wondering also what your fstab says.

    I am googling around rather recklessly and it's causing me to wonder if
    your cd is formatted as udf. have you tried to mount it from the
    command-line like

    mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /mount-dvd

    I am assuming you are doing this as root and that you have made the
    directory 'mount-dvd' (call it whatever you want and put it wherever or
    use some other unused directory).

    while we're at it, and assuming the above fails (you might not have udf
    compiled into your kernel), try the old standard:

    mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mount-dvd

    we may have to adjust depending on what fstab says.

    I am not certain what is going on but I have been down similar trails
    before, especially with Vista doing some kind of default formatting of cds
    as udf.

    Felmon

  7. Re: CD unreadable

    Felmon wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 22:59:04 +0000, Chris quoth:
    >
    >> Felmon wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:21:35 +0000, Chris quoth:

    >>> on the same machine or a different one?
    >>>
    >>> Felmon

    >> Same machine. Works if I boot into Vista (cringe!). If I reboot into
    >> openSUSE 10.3, all I see are those errors in dmesg.

    > I am wondering also what your fstab says.
    >
    > I am googling around rather recklessly and it's causing me to wonder if
    > your cd is formatted as udf. have you tried to mount it from the
    > command-line like
    >
    > mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /mount-dvd
    >
    > I am assuming you are doing this as root and that you have made the
    > directory 'mount-dvd' (call it whatever you want and put it wherever or
    > use some other unused directory).
    >
    > while we're at it, and assuming the above fails (you might not have udf
    > compiled into your kernel), try the old standard:
    >
    > mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mount-dvd
    >
    > we may have to adjust depending on what fstab says.
    >
    > I am not certain what is going on but I have been down similar trails
    > before, especially with Vista doing some kind of default formatting of cds
    > as udf.
    >
    > Felmon

    Interesting. I don't have any entries in fstab for my DVD drive. I usually
    don't mount it manually, KDE does it for me.

    I tried using k3b to make an image for the original CD. In Normal copy mode,
    k3b hangs. It does make the image if I do Raw copy mode. However, when I
    try to mount the ISO (either RMB and selecting Mount ISO or issuing the
    command:

    ~>sudo mount -o loop guitarws2nd.iso guitarws2nd
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type

    Then I tried specifying iso9660:

    > sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop guitarws2nd.iso guitarws2nd

    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
    dmesg | tail or so

    This appears in /var/log/messages:
    Oct 3 06:02:41 Desktop kernel: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.

    Then, UDF:

    ~> sudo mount -t udf -o loop guitarws2nd.iso guitarws2nd
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
    dmesg | tail or so

    The thing that bugs me is that this CD used to work in openSUSE 10.3. I
    stopped learning the guitar but thought I'd take it back up again. I'd say
    it's been 3 - 4 months since the CD last worked. However, if I reboot into
    Vista (same machine), the CD works.

    I'm using the stock kernel (well the latest, sta one from the openSUSE repo)
    ~> rpm -qa | grep kernel
    linux-kernel-headers-2.6.22-19
    kernel-default-2.6.22.18-0.2
    kernel-source-2.6.22.18-0.2

    I'm wondering if the CD is in a file format that has been removed from
    opensuse's kernel?

    --
    Chris

  8. Re: CD unreadable

    Chris wrote:

    > I'm wondering if the CD is in a file format that has been removed from
    > opensuse's kernel?

    Well, I think the problem is KDE now. I manually mounted the original CD
    using:

    sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 guitarws2nd

    Where guitarws2nd is a directory in my CWD.

    The CD mounted. If I ommit sudo or "-t iso9660", then it get the same errors
    as before.

    --
    Chris

  9. Re: CD unreadable

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:15:09 +0000, Chris quoth:

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> I'm wondering if the CD is in a file format that has been removed from
    >> opensuse's kernel?

    > Well, I think the problem is KDE now. I manually mounted the original CD
    > using:
    >
    > sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 guitarws2nd
    >
    > Where guitarws2nd is a directory in my CWD.
    >
    > The CD mounted. If I ommit sudo or "-t iso9660", then it get the same errors
    > as before.

    actually this is what I originally suggested - I must not have been clear.

    in your post preceding this one, you were trying to mount an .iso file. I
    I don't recall iso files being mentioned before; to mount such a file you
    use the '-o loop' syntax but not the '-t filetype' syntax.

    you might have a look at 'man mount'.

    if you are mounting the cd itself (as opposed to an .iso file), then you
    use the 't filesystem' syntax. '-t iso9660' is the standard file system
    for cds. (do not add '-o loop'!)

    have a look at 'man mount'.

    you need 'sudo' because it is an operation done by root.

    I don't know what problem you are having with kde. you will have to
    explain that a bit more. once mounted the cd should show up on the desktop
    somewhere and you can click the icon to view it.

    Felmon

  10. Re: CD unreadable

    Felmon wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:15:09 +0000, Chris quoth:
    >
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm wondering if the CD is in a file format that has been removed from
    >>> opensuse's kernel?

    >> Well, I think the problem is KDE now. I manually mounted the original CD
    >> using:
    >>
    >> sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 guitarws2nd
    >>
    >> Where guitarws2nd is a directory in my CWD.
    >>
    >> The CD mounted. If I ommit sudo or "-t iso9660", then it get the same
    >> errors as before.

    > actually this is what I originally suggested - I must not have been clear.
    >
    > in your post preceding this one, you were trying to mount an .iso file. I
    > I don't recall iso files being mentioned before; to mount such a file you
    > use the '-o loop' syntax but not the '-t filetype' syntax.
    >
    > you might have a look at 'man mount'.
    >
    > if you are mounting the cd itself (as opposed to an .iso file), then you
    > use the 't filesystem' syntax. '-t iso9660' is the standard file system
    > for cds. (do not add '-o loop'!)
    >
    > have a look at 'man mount'.
    >
    > you need 'sudo' because it is an operation done by root.
    >
    > I don't know what problem you are having with kde. you will have to
    > explain that a bit more. once mounted the cd should show up on the desktop
    > somewhere and you can click the icon to view it.
    >
    > Felmon

    Thank Felmon. My first post was about mounting the CD itself. Well, I wasn't
    mounting the CD, I was waiting for KDE to do it for me and open Konqueror
    window (just it does for all my other CDs). When the window was not
    appearing, I checked dmesg. That's when I found those errors. From there, I
    tried the following:

    1. Rebooting into Vista and inserting the CD into the drive. The CD worked.

    2. Using Roxio (didn't even know I had it) from within Vista and made a copy
    of the CD. That CD-R worked in Vista but not in openSUSE. I got the same
    error messages.

    3. As suggested earlier in this post, I used k3b to create a CD but I ran
    out of CD-Rs, so I made a .iso instead. I had to set k3b to make a raw
    copy. If I told it to a normal copy, k3b would freeze. Once the .iso was
    created, I think right-clicked on the .iso, in Konqueror, selected
    Actions->Mount ISO. I entered the root password. The ISO still failed to
    mount with a non-descript error message dialog (i.e. failed to mount ...).

    4. Using the mount command that appeared in #3 (above), I tried mounting in
    the console. Turns out mount complained about the filesystem ("mount: you
    must specify the filesystem type"). So I added "-t iso9660" but that still
    didn't work:

    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
    dmesg | tail or so

    5. I gave up on the .iso and tried again with the original CD. I did:

    # mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/guitarws2nd
    mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type

    Then I added the iso9660 fs type:

    # mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/guitarws2nd
    mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

    And the CD mounted! I can go into the /mnt/guitarws2nd and use wine to start
    the software. This is what I get from dmesg after the successful mount:

    ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1
    ISOFS: changing to secondary root

    I have no idea what the "secondary root" is, but I suspect that is the
    problem?

    --
    Chris

  11. Re: CD unreadable

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 11:04:43 +0000, Chris quoth:

    > [...]
    > 3. As suggested earlier in this post, I used k3b to create a CD but I ran
    > out of CD-Rs, so I made a .iso instead. I had to set k3b to make a raw
    > copy. If I told it to a normal copy, k3b would freeze. Once the .iso was
    > created, I think right-clicked on the .iso, in Konqueror, selected
    > Actions->Mount ISO. I entered the root password. The ISO still failed to
    > mount with a non-descript error message dialog (i.e. failed to mount ...).

    out of curiosity, what was the point of step #3? I'm sorry but I feel I am
    being incredibly dense! I thought the problem was mounting a cd. why are
    you creating a cd or making an .iso file?

    > 5. I gave up on the .iso and tried again with the original CD. I did:
    >
    > # mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/guitarws2nd
    > mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    > mount: you must specify the filesystem type
    >
    > Then I added the iso9660 fs type:
    >
    > # mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/guitarws2nd mount: block device
    > /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    >
    > And the CD mounted! I can go into the /mnt/guitarws2nd and use wine to
    > start the software. This is what I get from dmesg after the successful
    > mount:
    >
    > ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1 ISOFS: changing to
    > secondary root
    >
    > I have no idea what the "secondary root" is, but I suspect that is the
    > problem?

    problem with what? you are mounting the cd, right? what is the remaining
    problem?

    sorry for being so dense, maybe I am getting lost in all the details.

    Felmon

  12. Re: CD unreadable

    Felmon wrote:

    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 11:04:43 +0000, Chris quoth:
    >
    >> [...]
    >> 3. As suggested earlier in this post, I used k3b to create a CD but I ran
    >> out of CD-Rs, so I made a .iso instead. I had to set k3b to make a raw
    >> copy. If I told it to a normal copy, k3b would freeze. Once the .iso was
    >> created, I think right-clicked on the .iso, in Konqueror, selected
    >> Actions->Mount ISO. I entered the root password. The ISO still failed to
    >> mount with a non-descript error message dialog (i.e. failed to mount
    >> ...).

    > out of curiosity, what was the point of step #3? I'm sorry but I feel I am
    > being incredibly dense! I thought the problem was mounting a cd. why are
    > you creating a cd or making an .iso file?
    >
    >> 5. I gave up on the .iso and tried again with the original CD. I did:
    >>
    >> # mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/guitarws2nd
    >> mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    >> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
    >>
    >> Then I added the iso9660 fs type:
    >>
    >> # mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/guitarws2nd mount: block device
    >> /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    >>
    >> And the CD mounted! I can go into the /mnt/guitarws2nd and use wine to
    >> start the software. This is what I get from dmesg after the successful
    >> mount:
    >>
    >> ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1 ISOFS: changing to
    >> secondary root
    >>
    >> I have no idea what the "secondary root" is, but I suspect that is the
    >> problem?

    > problem with what? you are mounting the cd, right? what is the remaining
    > problem?
    >
    > sorry for being so dense, maybe I am getting lost in all the details.
    >
    > Felmon

    The reason for duplicating the CD using k3b was in the hopes that k3b would
    create a CD that would work. Perhaps by ignoring any funky
    format/filesystem issues...burn a plain old iso9660 CD.

    Though I can mount the CD manually, the problem, as I see it, is that it
    will not automagically mount in KDE eventhough the CD used to mount by KDE
    before. I'm not sure it's a KDE issue or not though. Inserting the CD into
    the drive (while in KDE) causes those read errors in dmesg. However, they
    go away when I mount the CD manually.

    --
    Chris

  13. Re: CD unreadable

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 23:12:53 +0000, Chris quoth:

    > The reason for duplicating the CD using k3b was in the hopes that k3b would
    > create a CD that would work. Perhaps by ignoring any funky
    > format/filesystem issues...burn a plain old iso9660 CD.

    suppose it had created a cd that works, then what?

    I guess you were kind of rummaging around collecting data, seeing if you
    notice something? I sometimes do this. in this case, though, it seems a
    bit of a red herring. when you mentioned it, I became unsure I understood
    your goals.

    > Though I can mount the CD manually, the problem, as I see it, is that it
    > will not automagically mount in KDE eventhough the CD used to mount by
    > KDE before. I'm not sure it's a KDE issue or not though. Inserting the
    > CD into the drive (while in KDE) causes those read errors in dmesg.
    > However, they go away when I mount the CD manually.

    I can't help much with kde's automount - I just figured out how to _turn
    it off_. I don't know how to fix it; to me it's an annoyance.

    you might post the problem under a different subject-line and maybe
    someone can help. from a little light googling, I get the impression one
    might have to put the correct entries into /etc/fstab.

    question, does automount only fail on cds created under Vista?

    if so, I wonder if there isn't some setting in Vista or Roxio which could
    be changed? you don't want to burn the cds as udf.

    related question: if you mount the cd and run the simple command

    mount

    what do you get? I confess I am just 'rummaging'.

    Felmon

+ Reply to Thread