Community version of SLES 10 - Suse

This is a discussion on Community version of SLES 10 - Suse ; Does anyone know of a community, opensource rebuild of SLES 10? I've been using SLES 10 at work for some time now, and I'd love to a similar version for projects at home. Ideally it would be nice to have ...

  1. Community version of SLES 10

    Does anyone know of a community, opensource rebuild of SLES 10? I've
    been using SLES 10 at work for some time now, and I'd love to a
    similar
    version for projects at home. Ideally it would be nice to have
    something similar to CentOS, Scientific, or Whitebox which is based on
    SLES instead of RHEL.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Community version of SLES 10

    Michael Madden wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a community, opensource rebuild of SLES 10?

    Yes. It is called openSUSE.

    houghi
    --
    They say pesticides have been linked to low sperm counts.
    In my opinion if you have bugs down there that are so bad

  3. Re: Community version of SLES 10

    Michael Madden wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a community, opensource rebuild of SLES 10? I've
    > been using SLES 10 at work for some time now, and I'd love to a
    > similar
    > version for projects at home. Ideally it would be nice to have
    > something similar to CentOS, Scientific, or Whitebox which is based on
    > SLES instead of RHEL.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Well... SLES 10 is downloadable and free. So you could use that.
    You won't get automatic updates, but I believe there is a free way
    to get at the update rpm's... but you have to do things manually.

    You really, really, really do not want to go with something
    like CentOS. All it does is divide things and cause a plethora
    of problems. If you're a developer, Novell has inexpensive
    programs to get you SLES 10 (and everything else) with updates.

    If you're not a developer, either use a consumer based
    distro (e.g. openSUSE, bad idea if this is important to
    you), or purchase a service subscription... they are relatively
    cheap.

    Distros like CentOS do NOT help Linux.... so if supporting
    Linux is important... don't go that way.

  4. Re: Community version of SLES 10

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > You really, really, really do not want to go with something
    > like CentOS. All it does is divide things and cause a plethora
    > of problems. If you're a developer, Novell has inexpensive
    > programs to get you SLES 10 (and everything else) with updates.

    Novell has activaly helped to make it possible to do something like
    CentOS. The easiest to just replace all the trademarks. They have made
    rembrand for that. You then have a usable ISO, but as you said, you can
    just download and use that,

    Perhaps you want to have a different way of installing, so you need to
    edit the way it installs. You know what? YaST is pretty well documented
    and that is what the installer does.

    In fact they would LOVE if other distributions would start using it and
    more people hacking it.

    So you can install it. Now you need extra stuff that needs to go on the
    server that people can download. How to do that in various ways is
    pretty well described as well and if you can't figure it out, they will
    help you.

    Now you can do a ./configure and make on each and every package,
    including updates, but won't it be so much cooler if you could do it the
    way Novell does it? Well, that is possible as well. Just install the
    build service yourself on any sort of hardware.

    So all the software is available to make a CentOS form of SUSE. I know
    they have actvaly helped people making their own distributions.

    That all said, I think that if you want to directly compete with SLE,
    you will devide and I would also think that if you think that 350USD (I
    think) for SLES or 50USD (I think) per year for SLED is too much, then
    you have a serious problem in your company.

    And as a private user, you do not need it.

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle

  5. Re: Community version of SLES 10

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >Chris Cox wrote:
    >> You really, really, really do not want to go with something
    >> like CentOS. All it does is divide things and cause a plethora
    >> of problems. If you're a developer, Novell has inexpensive
    >> programs to get you SLES 10 (and everything else) with updates.

    >Novell has activaly helped to make it possible to do something like
    >CentOS. The easiest to just replace all the trademarks. They have made
    >rembrand for that.

    They went even further with 11.0 in that the branding was split off and
    packaged in separate packages. All you'd need to do was create your own
    branding packages, have the installation system insert a lock to prevent
    the Novell branding packages being added, and you can have your own
    distro very quickly. You can even use (almost all) the updates provided
    by Novell.

    >Now you can do a ./configure and make on each and every package,
    >including updates, but won't it be so much cooler if you could do it the
    >way Novell does it?

    Make your own build service and build your own distribution using it?

    >Well, that is possible as well. Just install the
    >build service yourself on any sort of hardware.

    That's something I've yet to do. Could be fun trying it out

    >So all the software is available to make a CentOS form of SUSE. I know
    >they have actvaly helped people making their own distributions.

    I still remember having fun making my own rebranded version of openSUSE.
    Pity I'm lousy as an artist, or that experimental DavjamOS could have
    had some better graphics.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32b | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  6. Re: Community version of SLES 10

    David Bolt wrote:
    > I still remember having fun making my own rebranded version of openSUSE.
    > Pity I'm lousy as an artist, or that experimental DavjamOS could have
    > had some better graphics.

    I remember that and the script that went into it.

    I still enjoy the moment where Novell Legal came into play and told me
    that due to how trademarks work, thye couldn't find a licence that would
    make all easier. That triggerd rembrand, as a techhnical solution was
    the only way.

    I like it when a legal department of such a large company takes an
    interest and at least tries to look for a solution.

    They even OKed the disclaimer in makeSUSEdvd by saying 'It is good
    enough for us.' :-D

    I know that Novell and openSUSE encourages people to make different
    distro's based on openSUSE. They also like these little side projects
    and it shows that they actually listen to people. When people said that
    it was evil, because it had not the ability to ru a 100% OS version
    (e.g. no java and such) they devided the repo's in OS and Non-OS.

    About that latter, they had an old agreement to be able to distribute
    pine (not the standard) but they were in doubt, so they put it in
    Non-OS, just to be sure.

    It also sows that it listens to its users by still making it possible to
    have it, unlike some other distributions where they tell you what you
    can use.

    houghi
    --

    This space left blank intentionaly