Comcast blocked me - Suse

This is a discussion on Comcast blocked me - Suse ; Comcast blocked my outgoing e-mail because they claimed my tripwire reports were spam. How do I change the port used for smtp to 587, which they claim they will let through? SSL would be nice too. The Yast Mail Transfer ...

  1. Comcast blocked me

    Comcast blocked my outgoing e-mail because they claimed my tripwire
    reports were spam. How do I change the port used for smtp to 587,
    which they claim they will let through? SSL would be nice too.

    The Yast Mail Transfer Agent in 11.0 does not have any outgoing mail
    port setting.

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: Comcast blocked me

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:46:24 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > Comcast blocked my outgoing e-mail because they claimed my tripwire
    > reports were spam. How do I change the port used for smtp to 587, which
    > they claim they will let through? SSL would be nice too.
    >
    > The Yast Mail Transfer Agent in 11.0 does not have any outgoing mail
    > port setting.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Someone please correct me if I am wrong - but I'm pretty sure that yast
    just provides an interface to configuring the MTA which is really
    Postfix. You should be able to edit your master.cf file in /etc/postfix
    to change port settings by adding a line like this:

    587 inet n - n - - smtpd

    You can also configure SSL or TLS authentication. Doing this is well
    documented on the web and should be fairly easy.

    Hope that helps.

    By the way: BOOOOO COMCAST

  3. Re: Comcast blocked me

    On Sep 29, 11:30*pm, Mike Bleiweiss wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:46:24 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > > Comcast blocked my outgoing e-mail because they claimed my tripwire
    > > reports were spam. How do I change the port used for smtp to 587, which
    > > they claim they will let through? SSL would be nice too.

    > > The Yast Mail Transfer Agent in 11.0 does not have any outgoing mail
    > > port setting.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Jim

    > Someone please correct me if I am wrong - but I'm pretty sure that yast
    > just provides an interface to configuring the MTA which is really
    > Postfix. *You should be able to edit your master.cf file in /etc/postfix
    > to change port settings by adding a line like this:
    >
    > 587 * * *inet *n * * - * * n * * - * * - * * smtpd
    >
    > You can also configure SSL or TLS authentication. *Doing this is well
    > documented on the web and should be fairly easy.
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > By the way: BOOOOO COMCAST

    I think you are always supposed to edit /etc/sysconfig/postfix,
    otherwise SuSEconfig will wipe out the info. I did not see any
    comments in that file for ssl. But I was able to change
    smtp.comcast.net to smtp.comcast.net:587
    After running SuSEconfig, this worked.

    But rerunning Yast2 mail agent to put in the required user
    authentication for this port balked at the :587, which I had to remove
    and then redo the above manual edit. So I think this is a severe lack
    in the Yast module. But I could not figure out how to do SSL or TLS
    in /etc/sysconfig/postfix.

  4. Re: Comcast blocked me

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 06:59:10 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > But rerunning Yast2 mail agent to put in the required user
    > authentication for this port balked at the :587, which I had to remove
    > and then redo the above manual edit. So I think this is a severe lack in
    > the Yast module.

    Agreed.

    > But I could not figure out how to do SSL or TLS in
    > /etc/sysconfig/postfix.

    In your /etc/sysconfig/postfix - you should see some settings like this:

    # Enable SMTP-AUTH for the postfix smtp client
    # you have to edit /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd and call
    # SuSEconfig -module postfix afterwards
    POSTFIX_SMTP_AUTH=no

    ## Type: yesno
    ## Default: no
    ## Config: postfix
    #
    # Do you want to enable postfix smtp client to use TLS
    #
    POSTFIX_SMTP_TLS_CLIENT="no"

    ## Type: string
    ## Default: "/etc/postfix/ssl"
    ## Config: postfix
    #
    # path to the directory where the CA can be found
    #
    POSTFIX_SSL_PATH="/etc/postfix/ssl"

    etc, etc

    These should be the options for configuring auth and TLS. Sorry I'm not
    much more help... I've done a million and one postfix setups on debian
    and slack based distros - but it looks like postfix on opensuse has
    gotten a little wacky with its yast integration and other cruft.

  5. Re: Comcast blocked me

    On Sep 30, 1:26*pm, Mike Bleiweiss wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 06:59:10 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > > But rerunning Yast2 mail agent to put in the required user
    > > authentication for this port balked at the :587, which I had to remove
    > > and then redo the above manual edit. So I think this is a severe lack in
    > > the Yast module.

    > Agreed.
    >
    > > But I could not figure out how to do SSL or TLS in
    > > /etc/sysconfig/postfix.

    > In your /etc/sysconfig/postfix - you should see some settings like this:
    >
    > # Enable SMTP-AUTH for the postfix smtp client
    > # you have to edit /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd and call
    > # SuSEconfig -module postfix afterwards
    > POSTFIX_SMTP_AUTH=no
    >
    > ## Type: * * * *yesno
    > ## Default: * * no
    > ## Config: * * *postfix
    > #
    > # Do you want to enable postfix smtp client to use TLS
    > #
    > POSTFIX_SMTP_TLS_CLIENT="no"
    >
    > ## Type: * * * *string
    > ## Default: * * "/etc/postfix/ssl"
    > ## Config: * * *postfix
    > #
    > # path to the directory where the CA can be found
    > #
    > POSTFIX_SSL_PATH="/etc/postfix/ssl"
    >
    > etc, etc
    >
    > These should be the options for configuring auth and TLS. *Sorry I'm not
    > much more help... I've done a million and one postfix setups on debian
    > and slack based distros - but it looks like postfix on opensuse has
    > gotten a little wacky with its yast integration and other cruft.

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread