Installing 11.1 - Suse

This is a discussion on Installing 11.1 - Suse ; Im tryting to upgrade my 10.2 installation to 11.1 using a BDV316G drive (which works fine with 10.2). The problem I'm having is that when the load page comes up; when click on installation (or even KDE-live or Gnome-Live) it ...

  1. Installing 11.1

    Im tryting to upgrade my 10.2 installation to 11.1 using a BDV316G drive
    (which works fine with 10.2). The problem I'm having is that when the load
    page comes up; when click on installation (or even KDE-live or Gnome-Live)
    it then fails to find the DVD drive when it tries to load whatever I select
    from the menu and reboots.

    Anyone any clue as to what is going on or is it, as I suspect, down to an
    incompatible drive?

  2. Re: Installing 11.1

    Humbug wrote:

    > Im tryting to upgrade my 10.2 installation to 11.1 using a BDV316G drive
    > (which works fine with 10.2). The problem I'm having is that when the load
    > page comes up; when click on installation (or even KDE-live or Gnome-Live)
    > it then fails to find the DVD drive when it tries to load whatever I
    > select from the menu and reboots.
    >
    > Anyone any clue as to what is going on or is it, as I suspect, down to an
    > incompatible drive?

    11.1 beta 1?
    hum the stable openSUSE 11.1 release is for 18 dec.............
    you have read also this importent message?
    http://opensuse.mirrors.skynet.be/pu...S_BEFORE_USING!

    Install openSUSE 11.0 ;-)
    http://software.opensuse.org/
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Installing 11.1

    Humbug wrote:
    > Anyone any clue as to what is going on or is it, as I suspect, down to an
    > incompatible drive?

    11.1 is beta. Grea that you are testing it, but please file bugs in
    bugzilla and discuss it on the mailinglist. This is not the right place
    for it.

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.

  4. Re: Installing 11.1

    Humbug wrote:

    > Im tryting to upgrade my 10.2 installation to 11.1 using a BDV316G drive
    > (which works fine with 10.2). The problem I'm having is that when the load
    > page comes up; when click on installation (or even KDE-live or Gnome-Live)
    > it then fails to find the DVD drive when it tries to load whatever I
    > select from the menu and reboots.
    >
    > Anyone any clue as to what is going on or is it, as I suspect, down to an
    > incompatible drive?

    11.1 beta 1?
    hum the stable openSUSE 11.1 release is for 18 dec.............
    you have read also this importent message?
    http://opensuse.mirrors.skynet.be/pu...S_BEFORE_USING!

    Install openSUSE 11.0 ;-)
    http://software.opensuse.org/
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.10 / openSUSE 11.0

  5. Re: Installing 11.1

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:19:25 +0200, houghi wrote:
    > 11.1 is beta. Grea that you are testing it, but please file bugs in
    > bugzilla and discuss it on the mailinglist.
    > This is not the right place for it.

    Why may posters not discuss 11.1 in this news group?

    It is against the charter of this news group?

    If so, where is the charter of this news group, so that all may avail
    themselves of reading the rules?

  6. Re: Installing 11.1

    EOS wrote:

    > Humbug wrote:
    >
    >> Im tryting to upgrade my 10.2 installation to 11.1 using a BDV316G drive
    >> (which works fine with 10.2). The problem I'm having is that when the
    >> load page comes up; when click on installation (or even KDE-live or
    >> Gnome-Live) it then fails to find the DVD drive when it tries to load
    >> whatever I select from the menu and reboots.
    >>
    >> Anyone any clue as to what is going on or is it, as I suspect, down to an
    >> incompatible drive?

    > 11.1 beta 1?
    > hum the stable openSUSE 11.1 release is for 18 dec.............
    > you have read also this importent message?

    http://opensuse.mirrors.skynet.be/pu...S_BEFORE_USING!

    > Install openSUSE 11.0 ;-)
    > http://software.opensuse.org/

    Hmm I should have mentioned I have the same problem with 11....

  7. Re: Installing 11.1

    J G Miller wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:19:25 +0200, houghi wrote:
    > > 11.1 is beta. Grea that you are testing it, but please file bugs in
    > > bugzilla and discuss it on the mailinglist.
    > > This is not the right place for it.

    > Why may posters not discuss 11.1 in this news group?

    I did not say that. I said it was not the right place for it. The best
    place to discuss Alpha and Beta software is in the developers
    mailinglist. That way problems that are there can be resolved.

    houghi
    | Artist : Emerson, Lake and Palmer
    | Song : Karn evil
    | Album : Welcome back my friends ...

  8. Re: Installing 11.1

    Humbug wrote:

    > Hmm I should have mentioned I have the same problem with 11....

    not a (good) answer but try install with netboot cd
    32 bits version of openSUSE 11.0 (70MB):
    http://opensuse.mirrors.skynet.be/pu...0-NET-i386.iso
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.10 / openSUSE 11.0

  9. Re: Installing 11.1

    EOS wrote:

    > Humbug wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm I should have mentioned I have the same problem with 11....

    > not a (good) answer but try install with netboot cd
    > 32 bits version of openSUSE 11.0 (70MB):

    http://opensuse.mirrors.skynet.be/pu...0-NET-i386.iso

    Thanks EOS - I tried it but virtually the same happens except that it cannot
    find the hard disc either. Its seem to be an IDE related problem as there
    are a smattering of people over on the OpenSuse forums suffering from the
    same problem and they haven't had a solution yet...

  10. Re: Installing 11.1

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:00:11 +0100, Humbug wrote:
    > Its seem to be an IDE related problem as there are a smattering of
    > people over on the OpenSuse forums suffering from the same problem and
    > they haven't had a solution yet...

    As that is the case, when your DVD-ROM drive and hard disks worked
    under 10.2, was the Linux kernel still using the old IDE driver, under the
    more recent kernel version of openSUSE 11 onwards, now uses the
    libata driver

    which was written initially to support SATA disks?

    Is your hard disk an IDE PATA or SATA disk?

+ Reply to Thread