Playing DVD in suse - Suse

This is a discussion on Playing DVD in suse - Suse ; Please help, I want to play DVD and listen to music in my suse pc...Anyways it's still best for office use...but again i have to access USB from the media folder, is their any way around, plz help....

  1. Playing DVD in suse

    Please help, I want to play DVD and listen to music in my suse
    pc...Anyways it's still best for office use...but again i have to
    access USB from the media folder, is their any way around, plz help.

  2. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    On Sep 28, 8:00*am, Tushar wrote:
    > Please help, I want to play DVD and listen to music in my suse
    > pc...Anyways it's still best for office use...but again i have to
    > access USB from the media folder, is their any way around, plz help.

    By default, I have no problem playing tunes. I can not get Xine,
    Mplayer or Kafiene to play DVD.s . Got sound, but got nada for video
    VLC player does play the videos though. I would perfer to use Xine

    Any help would be great

  3. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    Tushar wrote:
    > Please help, I want to play DVD and listen to music in my suse
    > pc...Anyways it's still best for office use...but again i have to
    > access USB from the media folder, is their any way around, plz help.

    http://api.opensuse-community.org/se...5204848f599498

    http://api.opensuse-community.org/se...a48e63dd004e33

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.

  4. Re: Playing DVD in suse

  5. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    Tushar wrote:

    > Please help, I want to play DVD and listen to music in my suse
    > pc...Anyways it's still best for office use...but again i have to
    > access USB from the media folder, is their any way around, plz help.

    The "packman" repository is your friend :-). Start kaffeine and read
    what has to be installed to play DVDs.

    --
    Hendrik van Hees Institut für Theoretische Physik
    Phone: +49 641 99-33342 Justus-Liebig-Universität Gießen

  6. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    Andreas Stieger wrote:
    > Tushar wrote:
    >
    > [DVD,music]
    >
    > http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats

    This link helped a lot.

    Thanks
    Sea Dog

  7. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    On Sep 28, 5:42*pm, Andreas Stieger wrote:
    > Tushar wrote:
    >
    > [DVD,music]
    >
    > http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats

    Sorry, your link did'nt help.
    but i found this link quiet intresting....
    http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT2703022234.html

    But when you understand it please tell me also, that how did you
    configure everything.

  8. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    Tushar wrote:
    > On Sep 28, 5:42*pm, Andreas Stieger wrote:
    >> Tushar wrote:
    >>
    >> [DVD,music]
    >>
    >> http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats

    > Sorry, your link did'nt help.
    > but i found this link quiet intresting....
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT2703022234.html
    >
    > But when you understand it please tell me also, that how did you
    > configure everything.

    1) Add Packman as repository
    2) Install MPayer
    3) Install MPlayer-plugin
    4) Install codecs32

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit

  9. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    DonDorman@rogers.com wrote:

    > On Sep 28, 8:00Â*am, Tushar wrote:
    >> Please help, I want to play DVD and listen to music in my suse
    >> pc...Anyways it's still best for office use...but again i have to
    >> access USB from the media folder, is their any way around, plz help.

    > By default, I have no problem playing tunes. I can not get Xine,
    > Mplayer or Kafiene to play DVD.s . Got sound, but got nada for video
    > VLC player does play the videos though. I would perfer to use Xine
    >
    > Any help would be great

    to get xine to play dvds you need libdvdcss2-1.2.9-1.i386.rpm
    not necessarily that version but it works for me

  10. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    Tushar wrote:

    >> http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats

    > Sorry, your link did'nt help.

    hum, the link with the one-click works ;-)
    but another explain how to play dvd's mp3's and other stuff like that
    open "YaST - Software - Software sources"
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...arebronnen.png
    adding this url's to yast:
    http://packman.mirrors.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/11.0
    http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc/SuSE/11.0
    Then open "YaST - software"
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...t-install3.png
    search and install:
    libdvdcss
    libdvdread
    libdvdplay
    libdvdnav
    libxine1
    lame
    w32codec
    mplayerplug-in
    flash-player

    You're second part:
    "but again i have to
    access USB from the media folder,
    is their any way around, plz help."
    i don't understand this!
    please explain better ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  11. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    Hendrik van Hees wrote:

    > Tushar wrote:
    >
    >> Please help, I want to play DVD and listen to music in my suse
    >> pc...Anyways it's still best for office use...but again i have to
    >> access USB from the media folder, is their any way around, plz help.

    > The "packman" repository is your friend :-). Start kaffeine and read
    > what has to be installed to play DVDs.

    That is, assuming that Yast will let you install what's needed in your
    country! And the latest updates to Yast will not allow it depending on the
    legalities.

    That, coupled with the companies out there that insist on using proprietary
    format makes video and audio on the net a totally useless thing,

    What is needed is a way of paying a reasonable amount to be able to use the
    stuff until the restrictions expire.

    Novel should offer a packaged version that includes everything with pre-paid
    royalties, even if it is higher priced by a reasonable amount - with
    Windows, that amount is just pennies out of the big chunk they charge.

  12. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    On 2008-09-30, John Bowling wrote:
    > Hendrik van Hees wrote:
    >
    >> Tushar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Please help, I want to play DVD and listen to music in my suse
    >>> pc...Anyways it's still best for office use...but again i have to
    >>> access USB from the media folder, is their any way around, plz help.

    >> The "packman" repository is your friend :-). Start kaffeine and read
    >> what has to be installed to play DVDs.
    >>

    > That is, assuming that Yast will let you install what's needed in your
    > country! And the latest updates to Yast will not allow it depending on the
    > legalities.

    What are you talking about?
    How can this have anything to do with YaST?

    > That, coupled with the companies out there that insist on using proprietary
    > format makes video and audio on the net a totally useless thing,

    Nothing to do with YaST.

    > What is needed is a way of paying a reasonable amount to be able to use the
    > stuff until the restrictions expire.

    Nothing to do with YaST.

    > Novel should offer a packaged version that includes everything with pre-paid
    > royalties, even if it is higher priced by a reasonable amount - with
    > Windows, that amount is just pennies out of the big chunk they charge.

    No YaST there.

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  13. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    Vahis wrote:

    > On 2008-09-30, John Bowling wrote:
    >> Hendrik van Hees wrote:

    >>> The "packman" repository is your friend :-). Start kaffeine and read
    >>> what has to be installed to play DVDs.
    >>>

    >> That is, assuming that Yast will let you install what's needed in your
    >> country! And the latest updates to Yast will not allow it depending on
    >> the legalities.

    > What are you talking about?
    > How can this have anything to do with YaST?
    >>
    >> That, coupled with the companies out there that insist on using
    >> proprietary format makes video and audio on the net a totally useless
    >> thing,

    > Nothing to do with YaST.
    >>
    >> What is needed is a way of paying a reasonable amount to be able to use
    >> the stuff until the restrictions expire.
    >>

    > Nothing to do with YaST.
    >
    >> Novel should offer a packaged version that includes everything with
    >> pre-paid royalties, even if it is higher priced by a reasonable amount -
    >> with Windows, that amount is just pennies out of the big chunk they
    >> charge.

    > No YaST there.

    Perhaps not YaST, but it does say it is forbidden to installed what's needed
    to play video files, including flash videos. The same things that were
    installed by Yast on my earlier system (right after 11.0 came out) and
    worked perfectly with all the YouTube files I downloaded, but don't here.

    Yes, I set the file associations in kde components the same way on both
    machines.

    So if it's not YaST what is keeping codecs from being installed, the ones
    where it says 'forbid'?

  14. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    John Bowling wrote:
    > Perhaps not YaST, but it does say it is forbidden to installed what's needed
    > to play video files, including flash videos. The same things that were
    > installed by Yast on my earlier system (right after 11.0 came out) and
    > worked perfectly with all the YouTube files I downloaded, but don't here.

    This is a technical group, not a legal one. The user should know wether
    he is allowed to do something or not. I can tell you how to rip a porn
    site using openSUSE. Wether you are allowed to rip a specific site or
    allowed to watch porn is up to the reader, not to me.

    > Yes, I set the file associations in kde components the same way on both
    > machines.
    >
    > So if it's not YaST what is keeping codecs from being installed, the ones
    > where it says 'forbid'?

    You mean the 'forbid' in YaST? That is not a law decission, that is a
    technical decission.. I just looked in YaST in CLI and there it is
    called 'Taboo'. You can change that. However most likely this is
    selected for a technical reason and will break other things.

    houghi
    --
    They say pesticides have been linked to low sperm counts.
    In my opinion if you have bugs down there that are so bad

  15. Re: Playing DVD in suse

    On 2008-10-01, houghi wrote:
    > John Bowling wrote:
    >> Perhaps not YaST, but it does say it is forbidden to installed what's needed
    >> to play video files, including flash videos. The same things that were
    >> installed by Yast on my earlier system (right after 11.0 came out) and
    >> worked perfectly with all the YouTube files I downloaded, but don't here.

    > This is a technical group, not a legal one. The user should know wether
    > he is allowed to do something or not. I can tell you how to rip a porn
    > site using openSUSE. Wether you are allowed to rip a specific site or
    > allowed to watch porn is up to the reader, not to me.
    >
    >> Yes, I set the file associations in kde components the same way on both
    >> machines.
    >>
    >> So if it's not YaST what is keeping codecs from being installed, the ones
    >> where it says 'forbid'?

    > You mean the 'forbid' in YaST? That is not a law decission, that is a
    > technical decission.. I just looked in YaST in CLI and there it is
    > called 'Taboo'. You can change that. However most likely this is
    > selected for a technical reason and will break other things.

    Just change it and click "Try again" to see what depency problems occur.
    Then figure out the solution.
    If all the needed packages are available YaST will install what it is told
    to. It will, even if not everything is there but that would most
    obviously be looking for trouble, technical trouble.

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Congressman Wilson has an expression:
    "You can teach them to type, but you can't teach them to grow tits."

+ Reply to Thread