OpenSuSE 11.0: crond dies - Suse

This is a discussion on OpenSuSE 11.0: crond dies - Suse ; I just noticed that crond died on a test machine I set up with OpenSuSE 11.0. /var/log/messages does not give anything interesting, at least I did not find anything. Is this a known issue/bug of this version? In general I ...

  1. OpenSuSE 11.0: crond dies

    I just noticed that crond died on a test machine I set up with OpenSuSE
    11.0. /var/log/messages does not give anything interesting, at least I
    did not find anything.
    Is this a known issue/bug of this version? In general I do find crond to
    be very stable and reliable and rely very much on it.

    GŁnther

  2. Re: OpenSuSE 11.0: crond dies

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:13:04 +0200, G√ľnther Schwarz typed this message:

    > I just noticed that crond died on a test machine I set up with OpenSuSE
    > 11.0. /var/log/messages does not give anything interesting, at least I
    > did not find anything.
    > Is this a known issue/bug of this version? In general I do find crond to
    > be very stable and reliable and rely very much on it.
    >
    > G√ľnther

    What do you mean crond died? First I've heard of such.

  3. Re: OpenSuSE 11.0: crond dies

    noi ance wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:13:04 +0200, G√ľnther Schwarz typed this
    > message:
    >
    >> I just noticed that crond died on a test machine I set up with
    >> OpenSuSE 11.0. /var/log/messages does not give anything interesting,
    >> at least I did not find anything.

    > What do you mean crond died? First I've heard of such.

    Well, there was no such process anymore. It works now after restart, and
    I'll have an eye on it.

    G√ľnther

  4. Re: OpenSuSE 11.0: crond dies

    GŁnther Schwarz wrote:
    > Well, there was no such process anymore. It works now after restart, and
    > I'll have an eye on it.

    Look in /var/log/messages and other logfiles. Also if you notice it the
    next time, do a `ps aux|grep cron` and `rccron status` to see wether is
    was realy dead.

    To restart it, you can do `rccron restart`

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.

  5. Re: OpenSuSE 11.0: crond dies

    houghi wrote:

    > GŁnther Schwarz wrote:
    >> Well, there was no such process anymore. It works now after restart,
    >> and I'll have an eye on it.

    > Look in /var/log/messages and other logfiles.

    Which other logfiles are of any relevance here?

    > Also if you notice it
    > the next time, do a `ps aux|grep cron` and `rccron status` to see
    > wether is was realy dead.

    Yes, it was really dead. Dead as dead fish. I'll come back here as soon
    as I do find out something relevant on this issue.

    GŁnther

+ Reply to Thread