SUSE Enterprise Licensing Question - Suse

This is a discussion on SUSE Enterprise Licensing Question - Suse ; I have a couple of questions about licensing: 1.If I purchase a 1-year support license/agreement of SUSE Enterprise after the year I have to purchase another support license/agreement in order to remain using it legally right? 2. Do the software ...

  1. SUSE Enterprise Licensing Question

    I have a couple of questions about licensing:

    1.If I purchase a 1-year support license/agreement of SUSE Enterprise
    after the year I have to purchase another support license/agreement in
    order to remain using it legally right?
    2. Do the software stop working (expire) if I donít purchase a new
    support agreement?
    3.A support agreement should be bought for each server on my company
    or 1 agreement apply to all my servers?

    Thanks in advance!
    SUSE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. Re: SUSE Enterprise Licensing Question

    Artificer wrote:

    > I have a couple of questions about licensing:
    >
    > 1.If I purchase a 1-year support license/agreement of SUSE Enterprise
    > after the year I have to purchase another support license/agreement in
    > order to remain using it legally right?

    No, You just won;t be able to run the updates, so your system becomes
    insecure, unless you do it yourself.

    > 2. Do the software stop working (expire) if I don?t purchase a new
    > support agreement?

    The updates won't work anymore.

    > 3.A support agreement should be bought for each server on my company
    > or 1 agreement apply to all my servers?

    Yes, meaning both will be possible. If you have 10.000 servers, I am
    sure that they will be willing to make a deal. If you have 5 servers,
    they most likley won't/

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I

  3. Re: SUSE Enterprise Licensing Question

    Artificer wrote:
    > I have a couple of questions about licensing:
    >
    > 1.If I purchase a 1-year support license/agreement of SUSE Enterprise
    > after the year I have to purchase another support license/agreement in
    > order to remain using it legally right?

    Yes... but you can purchase a 3 year support agreements instead.

    > 2. Do the software stop working (expire) if I donít purchase a new
    > support agreement?

    No. But support updates/patches won't be available through easy
    online updates.

    > 3.A support agreement should be bought for each server on my company
    > or 1 agreement apply to all my servers?

    In the past one license allowed updates to multiple servers. But I
    don't think that works anymore (not sure). Novell (and Red Hat)
    may want to investigate a better enterprise/volume plan.

    The assumption right now implies that a company will NOT deploy
    too many SLES servers. Which I don't think is something to encourage.
    Just my opinion.

    > Thanks in advance!
    > SUSE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I think it rocks too... but you have to FIGHT hard to keep
    things the same or make them better. Now's not the time to
    sit back and relax... and that time should NEVER
    come.

  4. Re: SUSE Enterprise Licensing Question

    houghi wrote:

    > Artificer wrote:

    >> 3.A support agreement should be bought for each server on my company
    >> or 1 agreement apply to all my servers?

    > Yes, meaning both will be possible. If you have 10.000 servers, I am
    > sure that they will be willing to make a deal. If you have 5 servers,
    > they most likley won't/

    IIRC there is one license for each server machine. So virtual machines
    are basically free of charge. But then it all depends on the individual
    contracts, and volume licenses are not unheard of. The OP has probably
    signed a license agreement. He should read it.

    GŁnther

+ Reply to Thread